August 2011 Moms
Options

How were night feedings handled?

So the great BF/FF debates begin on my new BMB... A huge pro with BFing with me was that I could just whip out a boob in the middle of the night and not worry about getting a bottle and warming it. The con to this is that obviously DH did not do any night-time feedings.

That being said even if we were FFing I am honestly not sure that DH would have ever/rarely gotten up to feed DD. I always wake up when DD does and not sure I could sleep through it.

Anyhow - Did your DH ever get up for feedings? If so, was it equal? How did this work for you?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How were night feedings handled?

• Options
    Well, we only breastfed but when I had a surgery when Lincoln was 2 months old, my husband still never heard him when he woke up so I would have to wake him to get him to give the baby a bottle. It was a real PITA. To this day, even if I put the monitor right next to his head, he never hears the baby. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    DH was always up with me when BF at night and now with FF he is up through the night and always lets me sleep Smile I try to help and offer but he tells me to get my rest. Also my DH is a SAHD  ?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Regardless of if I BF or FF, I SAH and DH works, so I would never have asked him to get out of bed to feed LO.
  • Options

I did, and still do, 100% of the feedings day and night.  I think there were two times when DH tried to give her a bottle in the night, and he couldn't take the screaming, so I ended up BFing anyway.  Because I SAH, I felt obligated to handle the night feedings and let DH sleep - it was truly just easier on all of us.  

BUT....when people ask me, "what will you do differently with baby #2" - - - this is the one area where I want a change.  I didn't push for DH to participate in any feedings, and therefore DD never has taken a bottle.  I was basically tethered to her for the first six months until she was fully eating a couple solid meals a day, and it was really hard.  While I will still plan to handle the majority of day and night feedings with any future babies we may have, it would be a great relief to at least have the option that someone else is able to step in and handle a feeding so I can get some rest or be away for more than a couple hours. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    100% BF-ing here.  I also SAH.  I don't think it would be worth it though to pump and make bottles, though.  Since Scott was born,  I've become a master at falling asleep super fast after feeding him. 
  • Options

I often would go to bed between 7-8, DH would do the last feeding before bed (around 10-11) and then I would get up in the middle of the night for the feedings when I was home.  When I went back to work we often alternated

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Dh has an anxiety disorder and it caused him to try and choke me in his sleep when dd was a few weeks old.  Because of that, he has never done a night feeding.  In fact, we usually still lock dd's door at night.  I do a late night feeding every night and totally nbd.  I'm half asleep when I do it.  I cant imagine having to prepare a bottle. 

Eta: dh just asked me if I got up last night.  I don't think he'd ever wake up to feed dh. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have done all night feeding since DS has been born.  I EBF so it's not like SO can whip out a boob lol.  SO also is the one working and I SAH so I would never make him get out of bed to feed.
  • Options
    I EBF so I was/am always the one to get up with her. Even if we FF or I pumped for bottles I'm 99% sure it would still be me because a) H NEVER EVER hears DD even when she still slept in our room she could wake up screaming and in the morning H would say B slept really good last night and b) H has to work in the am.
  • Options

I attempted BFing for a little while, gradually moved to EPing, then started FFing in late January.

Before DH deployed, he never helped with night feedings. I didn't ask him to because he did so much work during the day - actual job, then moving all of our stuff into storage. I had to pump in the middle of the night anyway, so it didn't make sense for both of us to be zombies. He left when DS was 1 month old and came back when he was about 8 months old and STTN. He missed the fun times...

Sometimes I got frustrated that I was the only one up, but DH was really good about letting me take a nap in the evening. As long as I had that nap, night feedings weren't so bad. He also handled the early morning feeding (6am ish) if DS woke up and DH didn't have to go to work early. That let me sleep in a little bit.

• Options
    The babies are fed mostly EPd milk, so for a variety of reasons, we both did every feeding until around 7 mo when they started sleeping longer. We more or less alternate now.
  • Options

I am trying to get my husband to help out more (we both work FT) even though I am still BFing and it is easy to "whip out a boob". 

I think for the next one I still will be the one to get up at night because I do want to EBF again.  But I think DH will need to pick up the slack somewhere else.  

• Options
    I work 12 hour night shifts so when I am at work my husband obviously does the night feedings.  On my nights off I do them since she still nurses.  There were some nights before I went back to work where he did a night feeding.  I would still get up to pump but it was so both of them could get used to bottle feedings.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

It depended on the night of the week.  I SAH so I took weeknights, and SO took the weekends and any other night that he didn't have to get up and go to work in the morning.  I EP'd for 4 months so in that time I was still up anyways, but if SO fed DS then I could get to bed sooner.  I would get up pump, take care of the milk and go back to sleep instantly (sometimes I would even fall asleep while pumping).  SO would feed DS, burp him and put him back to sleep. 

With this baby I'm hoping (and doing everything I can to prepare) to BF for a year.  So all of the feedings will be on me. I know that SO will do everything he can to make it easier on me though. 

• Options
    We FF DS from day one and I am a SAHM so I did the night feeding during the week and DH did them on the weekends/holidays so I could sleep. It worked out really well. We also lucked out and from 2.5 weeks old DS only woke up once at night.
  • Options
    imageBnchaNums:

Dh has an anxiety disorder and it caused him to try and choke me in his sleep when dd was a few weeks old.  Because of that, he has never done a night feeding.  In fact, we usually still lock dd's door at night.  I do a late night feeding every night and totally nbd.  I'm half asleep when I do it.  I cant imagine having to prepare a bottle. 

Eta: dh just asked me if I got up last night.  I don't think he'd ever wake up to feed dh. 

Oh my goodness!! Was this partially caused when he was half woken up or did he do it in a deep sleep? Sounds just like an episode of Greys Anatomy!

In a not-so similar but kinda similar situation at our house.... I used to have DH get up and change DD's diaper before I would feed her. Then there was one night where he walked straight into a wall (hard) while holding her. Luckily he hit the side she wasn't on. On a different occasion I was holding DD and had to pee, I was trying to wake DH up to hold her while I went to the bathroom. I shook him and called his name several times before he woke up, gasped, and punched me in the stomach. He barely hit me and I actually laughed at him and said "Really? If I was an intruder that is how hard you would hit me? Glad you are protecting your family!" LOL. After these few instances I never woke him up again, it just wasn't worth it!

• Options
    We FF and we did split the feedings.  We had a later feeding, say 11pm, then 2isham, then 6am.  I would go to bed early, he would do the 11pm, I would do the 2 and depending on how we were doing either of us would do the 6am.   After a few months, DD changed her schedule, so she was eating around 10, doing a stretch until 2-3, then again at 6.  Much more doable.  I don't know that FF helped.  I know plenty women who pumped and whose H would get up to feed a bottle. 
    3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • Options

DD was exclusively FF after three weeks. Before that DH would occasionally wake up with me and keep me company while I fed her. Once we went to only formula, he would get the bottle ready while I changed her when she first woke up. Like others said, I did feel bad he was awake when he had work the next day, while I was home on maternity leave. Fortunately he falls asleep quickly and is a really heavy sleeper, so once he got the bottle for me he would be out within minutes.

For us, DD started STTN at 8 weeks, otherwise now that I'm back at work there would be some changes to the nighttime feeding routine.

nataliepic350 photo nataliepic350.jpg photo 099_zps0c6fc5c8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"