I am really struggling with this decision. It took us 3 years to get pregnant and we finally got pregnant w/twins on IVF #5. I work for a small company and I told my boss @ my pg announcement that I would want to take an extended leave. He said that was fine...small company means no paid mat leave anyway (no STD either). He actually told me at one point that I could take up to a year off (but not sure what he would actually say if I went to him now and asked for that).
My mom watches my sister's kids (ages 4.5 &9), so I planned in the pregnancy to go back to work at the end of August when my nephew goes back to school (to make it easier on my mom). I also dropped from full time to part time (boss knew that would happen whenever we had kids).
So, I'm down to my last 7 weeks off and know that if I don't go back or if I want to extend my leave longer, I need to let them know. I would choose to stay home IF I hadn't gone to school for so long for my position and didn't still have student loans. DH has a great job and can pay our bills. My part time salary would mean more $$ in retirement, savings, college savings, vacation money, paying car and student loans off sooner & house maintenance/repairs/improvement.
We have dipped into savings a little this summer b/c of some house maintenance and buying so much for the babies.
I really do like my job and actually stopped in the office yesterday and missed it. But when I got home and was alone with the babies, I couldn't imagine leaving them.
My mom would baby-sit for 2 long office days/week (long means ~12 hrs away from home by the time I work and travel back and forth to mom's) and then I would need to find another sitter for my on call time when/if I go back to work.
My training is very specific, so with the crappy economy, there aren't a lot of job opportunities right now. I could go back and do what I did with my undergraduate degree pretty easily, but my graduate degree is very specific. So, if I give up this position and decide to work again in a year or two....I may not find something.
DH has no comment on this and says that he will support any decision that I make...which is super sweet but I almost wish he'd tell me what he prefers!
Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days