3rd Trimester

Thoughts on Flying?

Hey ladies... I am a FTM and was looking for opinions regarding flying....At what week would you stop all flight travel? I may have to fly from San Diego to Indianapolis (7 hr flight - One Stop) towards the end of my pregnancy. 

I am going through an immigration process here in Mexico and I may be able to return home around Aug or Sept....Not sure yet if I'll be able to go home by then but I hope so. (I am due Sept 30) Either way I know I will have to travel to Ciudad Juarez from Baja California for a Medical Exam that can only be done in Ciudad Juarez (2 hr flight - Non Stop).

It's been a stressing process that I have been going through my entire pregnancy stuck in Mexico since Nov "11" and with out my husband :( but he does visit every 10 weeks for 2 weeks... I was raised in Indy since I was around 2 years old so being here away from my family has been torture. I hope to be able to go home soon enough...so that I can fly w/out any issues and so that I can be home when baby is due...I don't want to have my baby her in Mexico lol :/

BabyFruit Ticker PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Thoughts on Flying?

• My doctor didn't want me further than 2 hours away from her office 4 weeks before my due date or flying after 30 weeks.  I'm not sure if that's the norm, but I've had a very easy pregnancy if that helps at all.

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • My doctor cleared me to fly up to 36 weeks, but don't be surprised if you get massive swelling in your feet! I didn't expect it but all the altitude changes and everything, very uncomfortable!  Hope you get to go home soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've flown a couple of times internationally and my last flight will be this Thursday at 30 weeks, 4 days and returning at 32 weeks 2 days.  I have to legs, the longest being eight hours (I live in the UK, family in US).  I wear compression hose, drink a ton of water, bring snacks and walk around the plane and I'm okay.  I just had a four hour flight at 28 weeks.

Speak with your doctor, but as long as you are sensible, you should be okay. Good luck with your situation.

• of course check with your doc, but make sure you also check with the airline. they all have different policies. the most conservative i've seen is no flying after 32 weeks. i think i saw one without a restriction (sorry, can't remember which it was!), but it might be best to get an 'all clear' note from your doc just in case you have troubles with security or staff at the airport. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the info ladies :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I flew at 34 weeks with my first pregnancy. It was only a 2.5 hour flight, though. As pp said, check with the airline. It sounds like that will be a bigger concern than doctors, since if you get to fly home you will be flying to a new/different doctor regardless.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I flew at 36 weeks-- it was just an hour long flight. I have to say that Iwas VERY uncomfortable, and I was not huge by any means. 

• I'm flying overseas next week, and coming back in 4 weeks.  I got a note from my Dr, but it cut me off after I turned 34 weeks.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am flying cross country (5 hours) at 30 weeks and back at 31 weeks, to attend a friend's wedding and visit my parents.  My doctor has said up to 35 weeks is ok for an uncomplicated pregnancy, but that I should be sure to drink lots of water on the plane, get up and walk every hour, and to expect some swelling in my feet.  I'm hoping it doesn't end up being horribly uncomfortable, but I am not holding my breath!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"