November 2012 Moms

Baby Wise?

Has anyone read this book? Any thoughts on it? Worth it to read? I've had a few people swear by it and claims it definitely helped get their babies on a good schedule pretty quickly, but the reviews online say differently.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Wise?

• total FTM here, but I also swear by this book. The family that I used to nanny for used it, as did my SIL, and their kids are on wonderful schedules, have been since they were babies and still are as toddlers and school age children!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you are fine with not utilizing the attachment parenting theories it is great. We used it with 1 and will use it with 2. DS slept through the night at 6 weeks and was the furthest from malnourished.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I borrowed it from a friend before my first... oh! the notes I took! I would highly recommend the book, but don't kill yourself if you make a few adjustments to "their plan" or take some bits and leave some bits.
  • Ooo, good question!  I am extremely intrigued by this book, I'd love to try it out.  I hope it works for us!

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Wow, sounds great.  I can't wait to check it out. Thanks
  • I don't think it's a bad book; it has some really great ideas but you need to be willing to use some ideas and toss some others. I think a strict adherence to any parenting style before your LO even arrives is a bad idea because every baby is different and has different needs! So read up on it, also read a few other books and then take it all with a grain of salt and do whatever YOU feel is best for your baby. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMandJS:
    People either love it or hate it. I'm in the hate it camp. I am much more a proponent of attachment parenting/Dr. Sears philosophy. But there is no WRONG choice here. If you want to go the Baby Wise route, have at it. If not, I'd highly recommend The Baby Book by Dr. Sears.
    I am not overly familiar with Dr. Sears and I knew nothing of Baby Wise. Could you provide a quick rundown of a few key concepts of each.
  • We did a combination of Baby Wise and Dr. Sears.  There were things that resonated with me from each book.  I think as you're reading about surviving, I mean parenting during the first few months, it's most important to to figure out what works for you and your family.  The biggest thing I took away from Baby Wise about the schedule is not to automatically shove a boob in your kid's mouth every time they cry.  Think through the situation.  Like PPs said, it's hard to nurse on demand and stick your kid into a schedule, but BW helped me to know that if she just ate an hour ago, let's chece her diaper first!  Seems like common sense, but I needed the reminders.  And also to schedule time with your love (and pets).  It's easy at the end of the day to collapse in bed and forget to talk or love on each other a little.  Don't forget the jealous furbies that run around your house too.  They need loving as well or they will PEE ON EVERYTHING! 

**CAUTION** If you choose to read Baby Wise, get a NEWER edition.  It has gone through drastic revisions and I find the newer edits more helpful than the the older.

• imageMandJS:
    People either love it or hate it. I'm in the hate it camp. I am much more a proponent of attachment parenting/Dr. Sears philosophy. But there is no WRONG choice here. If you want to go the Baby Wise route, have at it. If not, I'd highly recommend The Baby Book by Dr. Sears.

This. I personally never read the book, just read enough BW blogs and reviews to get the gist. I don't consider myself to be an "attachment parent," just somewhere in the middle.

If I am not mistaken, BW entails starting CIO with your 6 week old. If this is the case, not for me. To me, that's borderline cruel.  Ok, no, it's totally cruel. 

We used and loved the Sleepeasy Solution. It does use CIO, but not in the "shut your door and don't come back til the morning" way that BW does.  And we didn't do it until 8 months. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagesugar2515:
    FTM here, I bought it but haven't read it yet...Amazon has a lot of used copies for sale though, I got mine for about $4 (including shipping) and it's in great condition.

I am not a fan of Babywise or that style of parenting (strict scheduling). It has the distinction of being the only parenting book with an AAP statement warning about the dangers of it. I *believe* they have corrected their hideous advice in newer versions. So for goodness sakes, stay away from those old copies!!

And no matter what parenting books you read, USE YOUR BRAIN. Following a book, any book, word-for-word is stupid. You have to use your judgement.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imagejamdv3:

imageMandJS:

This. I personally never read the book, just read enough BW blogs and reviews to get the gist. I don't consider myself to be an "attachment parent," just somewhere in the middle.

If I am not mistaken, BW entails starting CIO with your 6 week old. If this is the case, not for me. To me, that's borderline cruel.  Ok, no, it's totally cruel. 

We used and loved the Sleepeasy Solution. It does use CIO, but not in the "shut your door and don't come back til the morning" way that BW does.  And we didn't do it until 8 months. 

BW does NOT advocate CIO meaning "shut your door and don't come back til the morning". 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"