Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Kissing infants on the mouth...

I kiss my own baby...but I'm his Mommy. BUT last week, his teacher at daycare kissed him quickly 3 times on the mouth while I was holding him! She obviously doesn't think there is a problem if she is doing it while I'm holding him. It really bothered me. I've been thinking about it ever since.

Would this bother you? Should I say something?

Ugh! Thanks.

Re: Kissing infants on the mouth...

• Maybe I am weird, but I don't even kiss my own DD on the mouth.  I know some families do it, but mine never did so I don't do it with DD.

Hmmm...I don't know how to phrase it to the teacher and not sound hurtful.  

• It wouldn't bother me (but I wouldn't do it w/someone else's child either).  It is funny b/c DH loves to kiss Harmon and hates it when he has been to church or the nanny (which is SIL or MIL) or to one our families houses b/c EVERYONE kisses him all the time!  So DH goes home and gives him a bath right away Stick out tongue 
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, I would definitely be bothered!  It's one thing for a parent to kiss their baby on the mouth, but holy spreading germs

Maybe you should talk to the director of the preschool - I worked at a preschool when I was in college and there was a "no kissing" rule.  Teachers were allowed to hug, but not kiss. 

• Ooooh. Yeah. I think that would bother me.  Kissing the baby on the mouth is just so intimate.  My son always opens his slobbery little mouth wide when I kiss his lips and that just seems unsanitary with a relative stranger.  I would say something because even if she doesn't do it in your presence again she may be doing it when you aren't there.  Eeeek.  Good luck.
  • I kiss Joseph on the lips. When I can catch them. More often, it's just somewhere in the head region.

I think that's presumptuous of a dcp.

• No way would that fly with me, but I am a germophobe when it comes to DS anyway. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yeah, that would def alarm me too!  not just b/c of the germs, you just don't do that!
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with the other posters that she shouldn't be doing that. I have worked at a few daycares and it was a rule not to kiss the babies/toddlers, etc.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks! I thought I was maybe overreacting. I emailed another mom in his class and she said it wouldn't bother her because it's acceptable in her culture (she's from South Louisiana) and that her baby likes their dog's toys better than her own, so she's trading germs with the dog. So...I thought I was making too big of a deal about it.

Thanks again. I'll say something tomorrow.

Good night ladies.

• I'm from South Louisiana and I don't know what culture your talking about. I kiss DD on the mouth all the time, and she gets into the dogs toys as much as I try to keep her out of them, but it would bother me if someone other than her immediate family was kissing her on the mouth, its just not exactly the most proper thing to do, I do think it would be hard to approach the teacher about it without sounding rude
  • I'm from the South too and confused as to what "culture" she's speaking of also. I agree that I would not be comfortable with a dcp or anyone besides immediate family kissing on the mouth. Ick.
    Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker,Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker image
  • imageMCTexas:

Thanks! I thought I was maybe overreacting. I emailed another mom in his class and she said it wouldn't bother her because it's acceptable in her culture (she's from South Louisiana) and that her baby likes their dog's toys better than her own, so she's trading germs with the dog. So...I thought I was making too big of a deal about it.

Thanks again. I'll say something tomorrow.

Good night ladies.

Yeah but dogs mouths are seriously cleaner than ours. humans have the nastiest shit_ living in their mouths of all animals...so to say that a dog is ok isn't really a good argument.

I would personally be very upset if I were you. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"