Pregnant after a Loss

Q about placenta

Forgive my complete lack of knowledge on this...my pregnancy book hasn't come in the mail yet or I'd look it up! And OF COURSE I didn't think to ask this at my last OB appointment. 

I know the placenta is supposed to take over (still not entirely sure what that means) somewhere between 10 and 12 weeks...is there a chance that it wouldn't, and is there something they can do to fix it or does that automatically mean another loss? 

Cycle 7: BFP 1-17-12, Missed Miscarriage at 8w6d (measured 7w2d, no HB), D&C 2-29-12
Cycle 9: BFP 5-3-12:EDD 1-24-13 It's a girl! Born 12-27-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Q about placenta

• I just read everything about placenta in my pg book and it doesn't really answer your question directly.  From what I understand as your gestational sac matures into a fetal pole and then embryo, there is a large yolk sac to "feed" the growth.  As the embryo grows, the placenta starts to take shape and the yolk sac gradually disappears as the placenta starts to take over more and more of the functions necessary to the growth of the baby.  All of this is somehow already pre-programmed when fertilization occurs.  It just kind of happens. 

Eventually, around 10-12w, the placenta is mature enough to assume all the necessary functions to sustain the baby and allow it to grow.   These functions include the exchange of substances (acting as the baby's lungs, digestive and kidney systems), protecting your baby from infections and harmful substances (immunity from mom for certain things), hormone production (estrogen & progesterone) and heat transfer (the baby's high metobolic rate generates heat and the placenta's large surface area and high blood flow disperse it).

I don't think there is much chance that the placenta won't take over, nor does their seem to be anything that can be done if it doesn't.  More of the placenta related complications deal with positioning (previa), or bleeding (SCH, abruption).  I would try not to worry about the placenta not working, I think the odds of that are very small.  HTH.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Here is what is "supposed" to happen:

The corpus luteum (the shell of the egg that is left behind once you ovulate) produces progesterone, which causes the temperature shift you see on your BBT after ovulation.  If you successfully conceive and implant, this is supposed to continue to produce progesterone until the placenta has developed to the point of being able to produce progesterone on its own, at which time the corpus luteum stops, and the placenta "takes over." 

The placenta having taken over also accounts for m/s going away, and 1st tri symptoms clearing up, because HCG production peaks somewhere around 10-12 weeks or so, goes down a little bit, and levels off, then begins to gradually decrease later in the pregnancy, eventually resulting in labor and delivery.

Now, as for your question about the placenta, I am not sure that poor placenta production would result in a viable pregnancy, because the placenta not only has to produce progesterone in order for you to "stay pregnant" but also provides the nutrients the baby needs throughout the pregnancy.  Unfortunately I have no idea if there is something that can be done about it or not, sorry I can't be of more help there.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the info, ladies! I appreciate it. I ordered the Mayo Clinic guide to pregnancy, so if it's not in there either, I'll ask my OB at my next appointment. Thanks again.
    Cycle 7: BFP 1-17-12, Missed Miscarriage at 8w6d (measured 7w2d, no HB), D&C 2-29-12
    Cycle 9: BFP 5-3-12:EDD 1-24-13 It's a girl! Born 12-27-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have no idea about the answer to your question, but I'm gladly hear you ordered a pregnancy book! Baby steps! 
  • I was under the impression that's why we take progesterone suppositories?

BPF 1. Baby Girl "Petri" 12/22/11 Said goodbye 12/27/11

BPF 2. Baby Boy "Roo" 1/20/12 Heartbeat 160b/m 2/15/12 Said goodbye 2/20/12

BPF 3. Rainbow Baby Boy "Creed"  4/28/12 Born healthy and alive 1/5/13

BFP 4. "Rainbow 2.0" 8/17/14 due 4/28/15

"Darling don't be afraid. I have loved you a thousand years. I love you a thousand more."

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageJuddandJessica:
    I was under the impression that's why we take progesterone suppositories?

Could be, but progesterone production/distribution in only one of the many things the placenta does.  Also, you usually stop taking progesterone around 10-12w, so if the placenta didn't kick in, what then?

• My OB has me taking progesterone suppositories throughout my entire pregnancy.  He would normally have taken me off after week 13 as the placenta is supposed to take over the hormone production to sustain the pregnancy, but after two losses he's erring on the side of caution.  I'm not sure if this is what OP was wondering about, but this is what my doctor has decided to do in my case.  I think it's more of a "throw everything we've got" at the situation thing, but I'm doing what he says.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"