2nd Trimester

So when do we start buying things?

I really have no idea when to start buying things for the baby. I feel like I'm nesting, but we're buying a home and don't really have a space to nest in and not a lot of room to store a bunch of baby stuff. Besides, I'm only 13 weeks, and I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself. Plus, we're also expecting to receive a bunch of hand-me-downs from my family, so we're not going to do any big purchases until we know what we need. But I'm simply itching to go out and buy a bunch of baby gear Confused
Lilypie - (KUub)  Lilypie - (x7FR)

Daisypath - (cVUA)   Daisypath - (CnD8)

Re: So when do we start buying things?

• Buy things whenever you want, but I suggest keeping tags on and the receipts. I must have changed my mind 1000 times last time about stuff I bought. I'd wait until after your baby shower, if you're going to have one, to get the big stuff. If you just can't help yourself, maybe buy small things, or diapers that you'll need later.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1. After the shower.

2. Cyber Monday after thanksgiving.

3. After Christmas.

4. When you have a coupon for 20% off one thing, get ONE thing.

meanwhile, if you MUST spend money now, get a target or BRU gift certificate for yourself to use later when you know what you really want.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • This is our second so what we are buying this time around is different than the first time.  I will say that we bought our crib the week before we found out we were pregnant.  It was a great deal that we couldn't pass up and it went directly into storage in our house until later in the pregnancy. 

As for other things, we waited.  If there was something we definitely wanted like the pack and play we picked out, we watched for the best prices online and ultimately found it at BRU online in their clearance section.  We bought it 75% off and two weeks later it went off clearance and back to full price.

A mattress was one item we definitely wanted brand new so we did get that prior to our baby shower when we found a good deal on one that we really like. 

• I started researching items during 2nd trimester, but didn't do any buying or registering until after my A/S at 18 weeks.

Get yourself the book Baby Bargains, it was a lifesaver as far as narrowing down and getting unbiased reviews.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since you're only 13 weeks I would mostly research. Buy Baby Bargains ASAP. That will help keep the itch at bay.  There is a lot to learn first so you don't waste your money!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I waited until after my shower and when I had good coupons and sales. Since I'm not expecting a shower this time, I pick things up if it's a really good deal, like I got a breastfriend pillow for 40% off a few weeks ago. I'm holding off on a lot things until I know the gender.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We actually just this weekend bought some things, but we bought most of it at garage sales since there were a ton around this weekend and we couldn't pass up some great deals like $25 on a fisher price my little lamb swing that was practically in mint condition. We also bought some clothes, a floor mat, and a car seat base, but we won't buy anymore til after the shower. I already know some of what we are getting because some people have asked me questions about what's on the list, so I had an idea of what we'll need, but I think you should wait unless you find a fantastic deal on something.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"