High-Risk Pregnancy

GD blood sugar- adequate versus "ideal" numbers?

Hi ladies,

I was diagnosed with GD a couple of weeks ago and have been tracking my blood sugar for five days now. I test four times a day, including before breakfast (fasting) and two hours after each meal.

It looks like these numbers are pretty universal, but in case they aren't, I'm supposed to be between 60-95 in the morning, and >120 for the after meal testing.

My morning numbers are consistently in the 80s, but my after meal ones vary a lot- ranging from 78 to 118. I'm happy that they are below 120, but should I be aiming for the lower end of my range? I've already noticed some things in my diet that seem to be changing the levels from the 80 range to the 110+ range. Should I be working on that, or just be happy it's below 120 and call it a day?

Basically, even though below 120 is acceptable, is there an "ideal" range I should be going for?

I realize I'm lucky to have relatively low numbers and I'm not freaking out or complaining, I just want to do all I can to stay healthy.

TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GD blood sugar- adequate versus "ideal" numbers?

• My understanding is that as long as you're under 120, you're fine.  Same with fasting - as long as you're under 95 you're fine.
    image Anniversary
  • Thank you! The cutoff just seems kind of arbitrary- like, is there a functional difference between a blood sugar of 118 and 120?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • my Dr wants my fasting 60-90 and under 120 one hour after meals (and that 1 hour starts the minute you start eating). Is this pretty conservative? My fasting has been great but I struggle sometimes after meals. I have to limit carbs to 15 at breakfast and no more than 45 carbs for lunch and dinner.

my Dr  also does not prescribe oral meds and I'm afraid insulin will be in my future. I'm 30.5 weeks and keeping most post meals 115-140.

• imageshanns81:
    My understanding is that as long as you're under 120, you're fine.  Same with fasting - as long as you're under 95 you're fine.

This is correct!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Yes, my doctor told me as long as I was under the 120 post meal/95 fasting it was fine. But do keep in mind that as your pregnancy progresses, your numbers often become higher and harder to control. I was diagnosed at 21 weeks, so I have been doing this for a while (14 weeks) and I have noticed my numbers, especially fasting, have started to creep up, with no change in carb amounts. They are still under the limits with diet only, and they are only going up by a small amount, but I won't be surprised if they increase even more in the next couple of weeks as I near my due date.
  • What do you eat for a bedtime snack to get your numbers so low?  I'm having a hard time keeping mine below 85.
  • imagejlinville10:
    What do you eat for a bedtime snack to get your numbers so low?  I'm having a hard time keeping mine below 85.

My fasting numbers started out in the high 60s to low 70s, now 14 weeks later they are in the high 70s to low 80s. I drink 1/2 cup of orange juice because I'm anemic and it helps with the absorption of iron pills, and 1/2 cup of regular ice cream, any flavor that has 20 grams of carbs or less per serving. I used to eat a cup of ice cream, but since I've had to incorporate the orange juice I had to lessen that. If my fasting numbers continue to creep up, I think I'll have to find another time of day to take the iron pills with orange juice. I just picked that time because my fasting numbers had always been so low that I figured it would be best. I find that graham crackers with chocolate peanut butter spread on them keeps my fasting numbers low too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"