September 2012 Moms

Leg Cramps! OOOUUUUCCCCHHHH!

Anyone else having calf cramps?!  My legs are so sore!  I was told to more water and more potassium, but nothing seems to work!  Any suggestions?
BabyName Ticker

Re: Leg Cramps! OOOUUUUCCCCHHHH!

• I am too :( And to make it worse, it seems like they only hit me on the days that I get to sleep in.
    BFP #1 on 6/23/11. Missed m/c. D&C on 8/18/11. BFP #2 on 1/1/12!EDD=9/13/12-Hang on baby! image
  • I've only gotten one, although I have felt them coming on a bunch of times when I'm half asleep, and wake up enough to change my position to ease it before it tenses up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been getting them almost every morning for the last 2-3 weeks. I don't have any tips to keep from getting them but I find that if I walk on tile that it seems to help get rid of them much faster.
    image image image image Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I get them almost every morning when I wake up and start to stretch. I found that by pointing my feet up (like I would be walking) instead of forwards like a ballet dancer, it really helps. It eases quickly and painlessly. I make sure to stretch that way now and they aren't as frequent.

• My OB recommended calcium.  I eat two tums before bed every night and they've mostly gone away.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I eat at least 1 banana a day. When I miss a few days, I get a cramp. I've taken to stretching my legs feet up instead of feet pointed, and that helps. It really sucks. :(
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They are crazy painful!  My calves have stayed sore for days from the real bad ones! My NP at the OBGYN suggested Calcium and Mg supplements but I haven't tried them yet....I have noticed for myself that they occur a lot less when I've had some kind of excercise that day.  Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• calcium, huh?!  I'll have to give that a try.  Thanks ladies ;)

BabyName Ticker
  • My legs cramp when I stretch in bed. So painful!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes, i do! i've got very tight calves from crap with my back before pregnancy, and it's getting worse the bigger i get.

i find that if i do stretches like downward dog (or modified ones where you're arms are resting on a low table like a coffee table), it helps stretch it out. 

• Drink a glass of milk before you go to bed. Calcium and potassium are a key. When I don't take these, I get cramps. They hurt like hell. 
  • Mine started when my Vitamin D was low.  I started taking a supplement each day (can't remember the dose off the top of my head) and the cramps went away.  I never got my levels re-checked because everything's been just fine.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• imageLoveLossHopeRepeat:

imagemssm2012:
    I tend to get them in bed, when I stretch out my legs (especially when I "point" my toes, like a ballet dancer).  When I feel the muscle cramps starting, if I change the position of my feet (to be at a right angle to my leg, just like when you're standing), it feels a LOT better and goes away much faster. 

That's exactly how it happens for me, and how I've managed to avoid them lately. Great description!  

Yeah, I'll second that the whole "don't point your toes" thing is a good way to avoid them coming on. But some nights my calves don't want to play fair and I get cramps anyway. Good luck avoiding as many cramps as you can!

• I get these every morning! I think it's because your not moving as much and I know the whole water thing gets old but water is always good for you. I get so tired of drinking water all the time! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"