TTC After a Loss

**Jeffrae**

I noticed that your bio says that you are an engineer...so am I.  What kind are you?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: **Jeffrae**

• Hey!  Well, my degree is ME, but I do not do anything ME in my real job.  I am a Flight Test Engineer (design tests that we run in simulators or on the actual airplane both in flight and on the ground).  I lead a team now, so I don't test as much anymore.

How about you?

• That sounds really interesting!  I'm a civil engineer.  For now I work in Land Development although it's a bit rough right now.  I've survived a lot of lay offs but I'm not holding my breath.  I've done work in transportation and a lot of my friends work in that field so I might be forced to transfer. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you work crazy hours?  A lot of my CE friends do.  I went through a layoff once before -- they suck!  Is your job market pretty good where you live?
  • We used to work crazy hours...around 60 a week but they restricted everyone to 40 (I'm not complaining about that part Smile).  For anyone in Land Development there aren't any jobs and people are lucky to have the ones they've got now but I think some other sectors (such as transportation) might be ok because of possible increases in public works funding.  How did you get into flight testing?
  • I was actually getting laid off (had a 60 day notice) after 9/11 summer of 2002 -- so by luck and the grace of God I had a friend who got hired into Flight Test (when other departments were downsizing they were picking up just a couple) who got my resume into the right hands.  I have my private pilots license too which helped.  I love airplanes/space!  I love my job (for the most part).  I just interviewed for a mangement position a couple weeks ago, will find out this week if I got it or not.  I also have another interview with a different department, still in flight test, for a manager position too -- so that is where my career is heading.  I graduated in 2001, so it is a bit soon, but I really like leading and developing people.
  • Gotta love your friends.  I have a pretty good network of friends from grad school so I hope that helps me out if I get laid off.  That's neat that you have your pilots license.  My DH took lessons while in the Air Force but didn't get the chance to finish.  Good luck with the new positions!  I hope one of them works out for you, you'll have to keep me posted....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"