Breastfeeding

Alcohol and breastfeeding

I am wondering how the two work? I am headed to a 4th party in a few days, and while I am don't plan to get drunk, I'd like to have ONE beer or skinny girl margarita while I am at the party. My DD is only 5 weeks so I am concerned about her getting the alcohol I drink. I do have one bottle of breastmilk frozen in the freezer that I could give her for the first feeding after the i have my ONE drink. Also, if I skip a feeding, do I need to pump and dump that session?  Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Re: Alcohol and breastfeeding

• They sell test strips you can dip in your breast milk to see if there is alcohol in it. I will probably use them on the 4th.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kel716kel716 member

When I indulge in a drink, I pump right before I go and on my way back.  If you're able to drive, you can still BF.  I too am not a big drinker, but I enjoy my wine coolers on occasion. 

Kellymom has some good info... 

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

If you aren't feeling the effects of the alcohol, then baby won't either.  If you're engorged and feeling the effects, then I'd pump & dump. 

• Loading the player...
  • Great resource on breastfeeding and drinking:

https://www.llli.org/faq/alcohol.html

Long story short, having a single serving of alcohol is fine. Enjoy your party. 

(posted from my phone... Tried to make it colicky, so hopefully that works. 

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You can have a little and be okay. If you think you've over done it, then you could pump and dump. Once your baby is a little older and it's not as big of a deal to miss a pumping session pumping and dumping isn't required. Alcohol leaves breast milk as it leaves your blood stream. Have fun!
  • You probably have a few options

- feed her first, then you have about an hour or so window where you can enjoy a drink. I try to space it out so I don't feed DS for at least an hour after I finish a beer or glass of wine. No need to pump & dump if you do this.

- The only reason I would ever pump/dump is if I had a lot to drink and DS is getting a bottle and I need to empty to maintain my supply. If I am replacing a feeding with a bottle I always try to pump at about the same time.

- Another option would be to pump first, have some drinks and then feed LO with what you pumped. By the time she's ready to eat again you should be good to just feed her.

• imagekel716:

Kellymom has some good info... 

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

If you aren't feeling the effects of the alcohol, then baby won't either.  If you're engorged and feeling the effects, then I'd pump & dump. 

This is smart advice. I rarely drink, but would feed my son first if I did and then try to have the effects wear off (laughable for me since I barely drink even when I drink) before feeding him. It was really never an issue and I don't see your one drink as an issue either. Have fun!!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kellymom.com has a great article about this topic. Basically, she says that if you're sober enough to drive, you're sober enough to breastfeed (ie, the alcohol won't affect your LO). Also, she says you do not need to pump and dump, but that you can if it makes you feel more comfortable.

• Agreeing with PP's - as long as you don't feel the effects of the alcohol, you are fine to feed your baby. I've had lots of people (with lovely, successful grown children) suggest having the occasional beer or glass of wine or beer to help relax and assist with let-down for breastfeeding. If you'd like the occasional drink, it's TOTALLY fine while breastfeeding.

If you're feeling a little tipsy, you should wait till you're not to nurse again - if you're not too uncomfortable, you can just wait to feed again later, no need to pump. Pump and dump as a useful habit is mostly a myth - the alcohol will metabolize out of your body, and, as it does, it will metabolize out of the milk. The only reason to pump and dump is if you NEED to pump because you are too uncomfortable from being engorged, and you obviously can't use the milk because you were were feeling too buzzed. Otherwise, don't waste that milk! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"