April 2012 Moms
Options

Shopping cart question

My genuine question is this:

If the reason people say you shouldn't put a car seat in the top part of the shopping cart is because it becomes top heavy and could topple, why is it acceptable to put any child in the top section?  My carseat is 11lbs with the base, my baby is about 12, it's certainly conceivable that a 23lb or greater weight child would comfortably ride in the buggy.  What am I missing?  Seriously,  no snark intended, I'm just trying to figure out the difference.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Shopping cart question

• Options
    I think the child is seated differently and so the weight is distributed differently? I actually thought the issue is the carseat itself could fall-most of the time it's just balanced up there even a "click" wouldn't make me feel secure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

If you hit a bump in the floor the seat could easily fall off the top of the cart. If a child has his/her legs through the holes and is using it properly that risk is not likely.

As far as the whole cart tipping over, I don't really understand the difference either I guess.

But the risk of the car seat detaching(if your seat even "clicks" in) and flying out of the cart is enough to make me not do it. 

ETA: Well that and the fact that I am 4'10" and wouldn't be able to see for crap over the car seat in order to push the cart without hitting everyone in the store. Haha 

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy 3/3/12
    Induced 3/13/12 @ 37w2d | DD born 3/14/12 6:31pm 6lbs 15oz 19"
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Doesn't having the car seat on top change the center of gravity of the cart, making it more prone to tipping?  Kinda like how my Mustang is less prone to tipping than an SUV, lol.  Lower center of gravity.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    eav2ceav2c member

imageMrs.Teddy:
    I think the child is seated differently and so the weight is distributed differently? I actually thought the issue is the carseat itself could fall-most of the time it's just balanced up there even a "click" wouldn't make me feel secure.

This is what I thought? DH and I also once witnessed a carseat fall off and it was terrifying. I didn't think the issue was off the buggy flipping -- or am I miss understanding your question??

• Options
    vtwd40vtwd40 member
    Also, "clicking" your carseat in can damage the latching mechanism and make it malfunction in your car
  • Options

imageMsCatra:
    Doesn't having the car seat on top change the center of gravity of the cart, making it more prone to tipping?  Kinda like how my Mustang is less prone to tipping than an SUV, lol.  Lower center of gravity.

This exactly - the cart is designed to have a child sit in it, not above it.

imageimage

• Options
    Cart tipping is a concern no matter what, but one of the problems with putting the carseat in is the possibility of it falling off.
  • Options
    I attatched the car seat without my LO in it to prove my point to my mother. The carseat itself latched where it was suppose to but the bottom where the LO's feet are slid back and forth. She insisted it was okay to put the baby up top until she saw that.
  • Options
    My question is, where do you put all your groceries when you sit a baby in the basket part of the cart. If I'm only getting a few things I'll put him in the basket part, but you really can't fit much around him. Does everyone just wear their baby then?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagehuahualove:
    My question is, where do you put all your groceries when you sit a baby in the basket part of the cart. If I'm only getting a few things I'll put him in the basket part, but you really can't fit much around him. Does everyone just wear their baby then?
    I wear her or if DH is with me one of us pushes the stroller and the other pushes the cart.
  • Options
    imagehuahualove:
    I wear her or if DH is with me one of us pushes the stroller and the other pushes the cart.
  • Options
    imagehuahualove:
    Yes, I always wear DD2 while DD1 rides in the cart. Even when DH is with me, I just find it to be easier to wear her.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"