Babies: 0 - 3 Months

NBR: can anyone bake? i have questions

I might be crazy, but I'm thinking about baking cookies for family for Christmas. Like 15 tins, crazy. What's something easy I can do? Other than those oatmeal no-bake cookies. I wanted to do the cookie mix in a jar thing, but DH whined that he didn't want to give gifts that require work of the giftee.

And how far in advance can I make them for them to still be good? I really have no idea.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: NBR: can anyone bake? i have questions

• ooh I need to learn this too..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    violet (01.06.2011) & colt (09.27.08)
    expecting surprise baby no.3 may 3rd
  • oatmeal-white chocolate-craisins are delicious, good for the season and easy.  i don't have the recipe but will when my mom gets here wednesday.

i think you can freeze them for a month(?) and have them still be good.

• Loading the player...
  • I did not even think about freezing!

I don't know what has come over me with this Suzy Homemaker stuff. I have no idea what I'm doing.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My fav easy cookie is my grandmother's peanut butter blossom. It's a peanut butter cookie w/ a Hershey kisses in the center.  Oh so good!  She also makes butter cookies and spritz cookies each year.  Those are my traditional holiday cookie.  I hear fudge isn't so hard to make either if you wanna give that a shot.
  • I have several recepies that you can make and freeze the dough, then pop the cookies in to bake whenever you have the time. I can look some up if you'd like.

Sugar cookes and chocolate chip cookies are really easy. Gingerbread are easy too, but take work because you have to cut out the shapes and re-roll the dough. I find gingersnaps last pretty long too...

And I have a recepie for M&M cookies, they last a week or two as well... maybe longer but they don't last in my cupboard long enough for me to find out Embarrassed

• It's technically not a cookie, but here's a recipe for BuckEye Balls (from my cousins in Ohio :) ?They're just like peanut ?butter cups and require no baking. ?I would say they would be good until x-mas if you freeze them. ?They're SOOOO good!

?

1 1/2 c peanut butter

1/2 c margarine (or butter)

1 t vanilla

1 # powdered sugar

6 oz (+) chocolate chips

2 T shortening (like Crisco)

Mix first 4 ingredients and refrigerate. ?Form into balls. ?Melt chocolate and shortening. ?Use toothpick to dip the balls into chocolate. ?Keep cool. ?(I would say the recipe makes 3-4 dozen balls depending on their size)?

• we always make candy. chexmix, peanut butter balls, bourbon balls, chocolate covered nuts, chocolate/caramel covered marshmallows,  potato candy. we usually make it a couple of weeks before christmas and it's always good.
  • imagehs & js baby #1:

It's technically not a cookie, but here's a recipe for BuckEye Balls (from my cousins in Ohio :)  They're just like peanut  butter cups and require no baking.  I would say they would be good until x-mas if you freeze them.  They're SOOOO good!

1 1/2 c peanut butter

1/2 c margarine (or butter)

1 t vanilla

1 # powdered sugar

6 oz (+) chocolate chips

2 T shortening (like Crisco)

Mix first 4 ingredients and refrigerate.  Form into balls.  Melt chocolate and shortening.  Use toothpick to dip the balls into chocolate.  Keep cool.  (I would say the recipe makes 3-4 dozen balls depending on their size) 

I love these things!  My whole fam is from Ohio so we have these every year.

• fudge ( the resipe is on the can), choc covered pretzels (keep in fridge), sugar cookies are easy and freezeable for up to 3 months....?
  • jeni, i will give you some easy recipes that last awhile, and freeze exceptionally well

(email me and i'll email you back tomorrow when i get the recipe toastedhazelnut84@yahoo.com) 

• It's not crazy!  I would chose just a few different cookies to make, and try to avoid ones that require a lot of extra work (rolled out, thumbprint) - drop cookies liked chocolate chip are the easiest. 

I like websites like kraftfoods and verybestbaking for easy recipes.  And you can definitely wrap them up really well and freeze them. 

-Deborah

• Do a cookie exchange party with friends.  Everybody makes a dozen cookies per guest (plus an extra dozen for tasting at the party).  So if you have 10 people participating, you'd bake 11 dozen cookies. Make people sign up ahead of time with what they're bringing.  Then everyone brings containers and takes some of each kind of cookie, ending up with the same number they brought, just lots of variety.  Its so much easier to mix and bake one kind of cookie than it is to make 10 different ones.  Its also a really fun holiday girls night. I'm hosting mine December 16, so I only have to be tempted for 10 days or so!
  • Cookies from cake mix are really easy.  You can take any type of cake mix and add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of oil and then any other ingredients.  Here are a few combos we've done:

-lemon cake with craisins

-red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting

-german choc. cake with coconut, pecans, and choc. chips

Drop the cookies onto a cookie sheet and bake 8 or so minutes at 350.  Be careful not to overbake them.  Take them out before you think they are completely done.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"