Cloth Diapering
Options

line drying vs tossing in the dryer

Have any of you noticed a difference in the diapers after they have been dried on the line or in the dryer? 

I have not had a clothes dryer for a few years, but will soon be moving and we may buy a dryer eventually.  I don't yet consider it a necessary appliance though, so I'd like to avoid purchasing one unless it really will make a huge difference.     

Has the method of drying made any difference to you or your baby as far as diapers are concerned?  Has the shorter drying time with a dryer made any difference?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 

Re: line drying vs tossing in the dryer

• Options
    We use mostly cotton prefolds and I don't like how stiff they are on the line so I almost always use the dryer. I've hung the pockets out with the covers and those do fine, but the prefolds get so scratchy that I wouldn't want to wear them so I end up popping them in the dryer anyway. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I line dry outside in the summer all the time..with no issue I love it! I also have a retractable line in my laundry room for winter, but honestly turn to the dryer more. Keeps the house warm :) and in our climate stuff just tend to dry well in the winter indoors or outdoors.

However, I need a dryer, because sometimes life gets in the way, I run behind on laundry and need diapers stat. :)

But does it make a difference. No not at all. I can deal with either or and like both methods for various reasons.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My experience may very well change once we actually have a baby wearing these diapers, but...

We bought an almost complete stash of lightly used GMD prefolds, and we just did a mega wash of all of them with Tiny Bubbles last night and hung them to dry. Feeling them now, they're extremely soft and nice. They hung on a big drying rack (Ikea, it's like 6' tall and folds flat when not in use) that we sat in the kitchen, and there was a fan in the other room pointed at it. They don't feel stiff to me at all. 

We paid for the washes because we don't yet have a portable washer, and we could have paid for the dryers as well but we didn't want to spend the money. Once we have a little washer to hook up to the sink I know we REALLY won't want to lug them down the stairs out back and into the laundry room just to dry! 

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options
    We line dry... sometimes things get "crunchy" but with a little shaking/folding/ruffling they are soft again.
    DS #1 - 12/10/11

DS #2 - 4/2/14

• Options
    I also find cotton too stiff and scratchy the few times I've line dried. I had to tumble them in the dryer for 15 minutes to soften them up. So I only dry in the dryer. But I know a lot of mamas who exclusively line dry!
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the responses!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • Options
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I put everything in the dryer - pockets, prefolds, wet bags, anything with TPU or PUL goes in.  I just dry on low.  For being over a year old, they all are in extra good used condition.  And if we have a second (is we are lucky enough) these diapers will last for #2
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"