Babies: 0 - 3 Months

SO sore from 2nd Degree Tear

I just delivered my son on Tuesday, and had to have a 2nd degree tear stitched up. I have been using the squirt bottle when i pee, dermoplast spray and Alieve to help the inflammation. I know its only been a couple of days, but I am sooo sore. I am getting to irritated that i cant move around and do the things that need to be done because i hurt so bad.

Ugh, will this pain ever get better? 

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: SO sore from 2nd Degree Tear

• I had a second degree with my first and I remember feeling pretty sore for a little bit, but nothing terrible.  It will soon pass :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • it will get better!! i found the 2-3 days after delivery were the worst for me. the day after i felt so swollen and achey i started taking tylenol (didn't take any on d-day), 2, 3 times a day. by the third day i was down to 1, 3 times a day. the fourth day i took 1 in the morning and 1 before bed and haven't need anything since. it's still tender when i go to the bathroom, but it's no sore to sit or anything. i'm now 10 days pp.

i definitely found that the first day after delivery was so much worse than the day-of. not only was my vagina swollen and sore, but my hips, my back, my shoulders, my stomach, and my chest were sore from pushing. i wanted to cry when i woke up!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a 3rd degree tear and it took about 2 weeks before it didn't hurt to sit down.  It took about 4 weeks for the swelling to completely go away.  At my PP apt at 4 weeks I was due for a Pap and she just did it then.  It didn't hurt at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a second degree tear as well.  Take your prescribed meds! That's what they are for! I would never have been able to function the first 2-3 days without them. 

• I had a second degree tear and it will definiitely get better. Try motrin and make sure you take the next dose before the previous one wears off. Aldo take a stool softener for at least a week. Trust me it will make things much easier for you. Dont sit on hard surfaces like the floor and add a pillow when sitting on the sofa. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • imageLoveBug0516:
    I had a second degree tear and it will definiitely get better. Try motrin and make sure you take the next dose before the previous one wears off. Aldo take a stool softener for at least a week. Trust me it will make things much easier for you. Dont sit on hard surfaces like the floor and add a pillow when sitting on the sofa. Good luck!

I had a 2nd degree tear with my first and I was pretty sore down there for about a week then it gradually got better. I was going to suggest all the same things along with witch hazel pads and not sitting with your legs crossed- you know like you did in kindergarten. Sitting like that puts a lot of pressure on your bottom. Hope you're feeling better soon

imageimage
  • Hmm... I had a 2nd degree tear and found recovery to be incredibly easy. I only took Advil a couple of times (none after leaving the hospital) and no dermoplast. I DID use the ice packs they offered constantly until a few hours before I went home. Maybe try that? Feel better!
  • SITZ BATHS!! and if you dont have one i used the removable shower head with warm water. It will really decrease the swelling. TAKE YOUR MEDS and also use the witch hazel pads....put them in the refridgerator and change them when needed....line your pad up like you are making a hoagie......dont worry.....it will get better with time.
  • I had a second degree tear and a ton of swelling from a posterior baby who got stuck. I'm not sure if the pain was from the tear or the swelling, but I could barely sit/walk/do stairs for a week. Second week was somewhat better, and by the third week I felt 90% better, but overdoing it with walking and stairs still caused pain and uncomfortable pressure. It took 4 full weeks to feel normal again.

Hang in there... it will get better and your body will go back to normal. It's so frustrating, but you just have to give it time.

• i delivered on wednesday and had a second degree tear....i dont do any household chores right now..except for taking care of myself and feeding the baby.. my mom and mil both are here..they do everything.. i am taking colace and advil daily ..wash with peri bottle..and feel so much better already.. 
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • kel716kel716 member

I had a 2nd degree tear and episiotomy with DS, and a 2nd degree tear with DD (right along my scar from DS).  My 2 recoveries were completely different- so to say that a 2nd degree tear is nothing I believe depends on more than the "degree"

Right now, your job is to heal and take it easy.  You should not be worried about getting things done around the house- it will wait and enlist the help of others!  You just delivered a baby, and that is a huge trauma you need to recover from. 

If you don't take the time to heal, you could wind up with other issues...  if you feel yourself not feeling right, sit down and put your feet up.  And take the meds, and do the things you need to aid in healing (dermoplast, witch hazel wipes, peri bottle spray, cortisone cream, etc...).  They really do help, and things will get better! 

• I had a 2nd degree tear also, but that pain wasn't so bad. My killer pain was my tailbone, because LO was born with her hand beside her head and did some major bruising on my poor buttbone. (Poor LO was welcomed into this world by me screaming "MY A$$! MY A$$!) Seriously take it easy, let your body heal! This is one time in your life when you can take all the help you can get and not feel the least bit guilty!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had the same tear and didn't take anything more than Motrin 800mg while I was in the hospital, but the day I left, I was more sore and took the perc they offered and it made the next 5 days manageable while I was getting used to DD's schedule and getting up and down a lot. I didn't want to take it at first because I didn't know how it would effect me, but I wasn't too loopy at all and could take way better care of my baby when I wasn't so sore. Good luck!
  • I also had a second degree tear...from a 10 lb baby! It took me about 3 weeks to feel normal. I used witch hazel pads and Epifoam and took Tylenol. Also used the Boppy pillow as a donut when LO wasn't using it. Sitz baths are amazing!
  • I am lurking I had 3rd degree and the sitz bath helped. ice pack worked wonders and so did sitting on a doughnut. It will get better try not sitting for prolong periods. By the end of the week it will be better, in the mean time baby yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"