High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

How much monitoring do they want (GD)

I went to my Dr. today and they said my 3 hour test came back a little high (as in 3 points above what it should have been on 2 of the numbers) so I have GD again.  I have been monitoring my numbers and they have been staying low... like most of them in the 90's.  I know that will change as time goes by, but I feel like I'm doing a good job taking care of things so far.  I was taking my blood 4 times a day: fasting and 1 hour after each meal. 

My Dr. is sending me to a high risk Dr. that is making me take a 3 hour class on GD (which I had with DD 1 year ago) and they want me to take my blood sugar: fasting, 2 hours after breakfast, before lunch, 2 hours after lunch, before dinner, 2 hours after dinner, and at bedtime.  That is a lot of pricking for someone who isn't having any trouble keeping control of her numbers in my opinion.  What do you guys think? 

I don't want to be difficult but the GD diagnosis is hard for me to deal with.  I really dont like meat and most veggies so it cuts down what I can eat by a LOT.  I've been depressed this week after hearing that I had to deal with it all over again.  I knew it was a possibility but I was hoping I would be the exception.  I've already lost 5 lbs bc I never know what to eat.  Plus I have a 12 month old to keep up with... planning multiple meals and snacks is not something I have a lot of time to do!

Anyway, I guess this turned into mostly a vent but I needed to vent a little :-/ Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: How much monitoring do they want (GD)

• Options

Wow, that's a LOT of testing.  My high-risk only changed me from 2 hour post meal to 1 hour.  Are your fasting numbers high?

I had a hard time adjusting to the diet, too.  I like meat, but I'm not a big veggie eater at all and the few I do like have been giving me issues during pregnancy.  Today I've been pissed because I've been hungry between meals, but filling up really easily. 

image Anniversary
  • Options
    My fasting numbers have been a little high (upper 80s lower 90s) but they don't even know that. They gave these rules over the phone without even looking at my log for the week. The thought of eating a snack right now that is high is protein is literally making me feel sick. Hopefully we can make it through the next 2 months or so!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was diagnosed at 6 weeks..they dont really know if it's GD or Type 2, both run in my family (mom had GD at 4 weeks with me) and they have me testing 4 times a day...as soon as I get up, and then 1 hr after every meal..I'm insulin controlled though, so maybe that's why I have to check less often

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• Options

I've been feeling overwhelmed by the changes too! And I nanny a 5 year old so anytime I make a snack she wants to eat. By the time I am done with that I end up late for checking my sugars or for eating again. It's stressful!  And I recommend investing in a good tupperware collection if you don't already have one! I found that cooking at night, when I am not in charge of the kiddo or when I have a spare pair of hands here, is easiest. And then I at least have my meals for the next day in the fridge (which is good because by the time I can eat I'm so hungry I don't want to wait longer than microwave times!). And I went and got some snack foods I could have (like nuts) and put them in individual serving ziplocks. It saves a lot of time! 

And I only eat white meat, and not very much, after being vegetarian for years. My nurses assured me that lots of middle eastern fully vegan women go there (we live right near Microsoft so the ladies here are actually from other countries and very strict about their diets) for GD and end up finding protein sources. She said lots of nuts, lentils/beans, and even peanut butter is going to be my best bet. The peanut butter without added sugar that I tried last night is actually REALLY good (and I can have like 4 tbsp at a time instead of 2). Also she said to count cheese (as long as it's healthy cheese, not like nacho cheese) as a protein. So I've found so far that eating some fruit with either nuts or string cheese or eating a carb like brown rice with black beans helps. Also - hard boiled eggs - you can make a bunch at one time and they keep for quite a few days. They are an awesome quick protein but also easy to put in things (I find that salad is much easier to eat if it has cheese and eggs in it!) - so if you do need to eat a few more veggies maybe doing so with either egg scrambles or hard boiled eggs might help! I've been finding that cooking chicken, even when I do want it, doesn't seem worth it since I have to break it up into one ounce portions (and of course once it's cooked it only stays in the fridge a couple days before going bad). So unless you have someone else who can eat some of the food when you make it I'd just cook at night (or whenever you can get half an hour to yourself) and put it all in individual things in the fridge. 

The biggest issue I'm having through is that the servings are so small - I made one can of black beans and one small package of brown rice (it's 2 cups) and it ended up making 4 "meals". So I feel like I am constantly starving and low blood sugar to the point where I'm scared to drive.

Ugh - I hope we're all done and can pop out beautiful healthy babies soon! 

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

I don't eat meat and veggies often either I just try to fit it in once a day. I eat alot of peanut butter and jelly, cheese and crackers, atkins bars, and pb toast. Good luck!

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"