Baby Names

My "hmmm..." names

I work for a public agency where people have to report their newborns names into us. These are a few where I had to physically control my "WTF?" face

Sheitye (She-ah-tay, girl)

Fox (girl)

Luckygirl (girl)

Cove (boy, there were two newborn boys with this name within a two week stretch. The first time, I was seriously like "Oh, I must have misunderstood you, you said Cole?" and the mom was like "No! COVE!")

Aishat (girl)

Remington (girl)

R'Money (pronounced Armani, boy)

Rocky (girl, pronounced like croquet, without the c in the front)

And then there are just a lot of moms who put "Y"s where they have no place being. I had a mom report a newborn boy named "Logyn" the other day, and it actually made me sad because I like that name, but with that spelling, all it makes me think of is a gynecologist.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My "hmmm..." names

• Is it bad that other people's terrible names make me feel better about the ones I'm considering? They'll never turn out THAT bad...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageshellifranks:
    Is it bad that other people's terrible names make me feel better about the ones I'm considering? They'll never turn out THAT bad...

Haha, I know what you mean. Some of the names on this board that are shot down almost unanimously by everyone are still 110% better than some of the crazy names people think up.

• Loading the player...
  • R'Money remind me of a girl I taught two years ago. Her name was spelled Money, but pronounced, "Monet," like the artist. I almost lost it calling roll on the first day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ok, that pronunciation of Rocky is awesome Ina hilarious way. 

• Sheitye looks like sh!tty. Aishat looks like asshat. And Luckygirl is what we call my mom's dog. Horrible.

At my work we had a woman named Denim and a Demonica. Why you someone put Demon in thier child's name?

• I wish someone would have just asked R'Money's mom, well do you want to spell it like that, or do you want to spell it like the designer. I bet anything she would have opted for Armani. Same thing for Money/Monet. I mean Armani gets an eyeroll from me, but it's still a 100X better than R'Money!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• These are just so pitiful!

Psalm 139:14 -- "I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."
  • Sheitye, Cove, and Aishat are cultural names. I agree they are NMS, but to gawk and gag about something like that is just kind of petty. It would be totally different if they were made up, but these are real names with cultural significance.

V|V TSP V|V
  • imagePenelopeLaneMorrisey:

I work for a public agency where people have to report their newborns names into us. These are a few where I had to physically control my "WTF?" face

Sheitye (She-ah-tay, girl)

Fox (girl)

Luckygirl (girl)

Cove (boy, there were two newborn boys with this name within a two week stretch. The first time, I was seriously like "Oh, I must have misunderstood you, you said Cole?" and the mom was like "No! COVE!")

Aishat (girl)

Remington (girl)

R'Money (pronounced Armani, boy)

Rocky (girl, pronounced like croquet, without the c in the front)

And then there are just a lot of moms who put "Y"s where they have no place being. I had a mom report a newborn boy named "Logyn" the other day, and it actually made me sad because I like that name, but with that spelling, all it makes me think of is a gynecologist.

Those are all horrendous, but when I see Aishat, I just keeping thinking "asshat".

• imageMommyLuvsMe1210:

Sheitye, Cove, and Aishat are cultural names. I agree they are NMS, but to gawk and gag about something like that is just kind of petty. It would be totally different if they were made up, but these are real names with cultural significance.

I was able to find examples of Sheitye and Aishat on facebook but not any baby name websites. Cove, I couldn't find anywhere.

I highly doubt anyone here knew they were cultural and were gagging about them anyway.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• those are awful...though I do know a little boy name cove and oddly enough the name is soooo fitting for him so I have grown to not mind it..hes a twin and his sister is coral ....they are huge water fanatics clearly, dad designs boats for a living lol .....
    June 2009- Begin TTC November 2011- Laparoscopy to check for endometriosis (normal) HSG to check for clear tubes -(Normal) and hysteroscopy to check uterus (normal) April 2012- AMH checked- (5.8) thyroid and prolactin= normal....internal ultrasound- thin uterin lining indicating issues with ovulation April 2012- Semen Analysis- sperm count of 8
  • Those are just awful.

I don't understand the Y thing either. I know a friend of a friend (who I've actually met and seen their child's name written out) who named their son Lincoyn. Its supposed to be Lincoln, but I would always pronounce Lin-Coin, because that's what it says. His older brother is Landyn.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Aishat is way too close for asshat for my liking.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"