June 2012 Moms

Baby Jon's Birth Story

At 3am DH and I arrived at the hospital and checked in for our scheduled induction. They got us into the room and me into my hospital gown. They started the IV fluids and antibiotic (GBS positive), and once all my vitals and monitors were set up, and all the necessary forms signed, they began the Pitocin. It took 8miliunits before I began having painful contractions, but they were manageable and still not regular. They continued to up the dosage, and my contractions did begin to get closer together and very intense.To top it off I was having back labor, as little one was facing sunny side up.

Well, when I arrived at the hospital I was already 2cm dilated, and 80% effaced. After 14 hours they checked my cervix and I was only at a 4cm and 90% effaced. The contractions began to "triple" coming back to back, and very intense. I finally caved and asked for a shot of Demerol because I was so tired. I was upset at myself for giving in, but knew that I wouldn't be able to get through the rest of my labor without a chance to rest.

While I was passed out on the Demerol, I had finished off the first bag of pitocin, which was running at 36miliunits. They gave my body an hour break, and then began another round.

At the 16 hour mark the nurse did another cervix check, and I had not made any progress. At this point the Demerol was wearing off, and the pain for the contractions were back in full force worse than before. As terrified as I was of the epidural, and as much as I had wanted to do a natural birth, I finally asked for an epidural.

At that point the doctor came in and told me that I could not have an epidural, but that they were going to be taking me back for a c-section. Come to find out during the check they realized that Jon was not coming straight down, and also that my pelvis had not spread enough to allow him to pass through. The top of his little head was wedge in there, so he was not dropping enough to put pressure on my cervix. The doctor told me that I would not be able to physically deliver my son naturally.

Luckily for me, I was still groggy from the Demerol so I really didn't have a whole lot of time to sit and let the fact that I was about to have a c-section sink in. They took me back almost immediately and gave me morphine, which I never plan to have ever again if I can help it. They gave me the spinal, and the next thing I know I felt the scalpel and then intense pressure. I was so high that I was in and out of consciousness and my memory of everything was very hit and miss.

I was lucky to have come to just in time to hear my son's first cry. They brought him over for me to see him, and I was able to get a couple pictures with him and my husband. He was perfect <3 The next thing I remember is waking up in recovery demanding to know where my baby was at. I am sure I drove the nurses up the wall because I asked over and over again when they were bringing him to me. Finally they brought him to me in recovery so I could nurse.

So he was born at 6:34 on Wednesday the 27th at 8lbs 11oz and 21inches long. He is absolutely beautiful and I must say that I am completely and totally in love.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Jon's Birth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"