September 2012 Moms
Options

Is your DH/SO excited about the baby?

We are first time parents and I'm pretty sure DH has forgotten that I'm pregnant. He doesn't seem excited at all...doesn't really talk about it, doesn't have questions etc.

I know he will be a great dad, actually I'm pretty sure my kid will like him way more than me, which is fine, I think he's pretty great myself.

I think it's maybe just nerves or more likely that it's just not as real for him because his life hasn't really changed that much yet.

Just wondering how other peoples DH/SO are acting? Are you STMs noticing anything different this time around?

photo photo_zps4ea6bdf2.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is your DH/SO excited about the baby?

• Options

This is our first child and DH is shockingly excited about it. He'll regular walk up to me, touch my stomach and say, "Baby!" or something like that. 

But I never expected him to be this excited. 

Vroom, vroom.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Planning Bio | Married Bio | Blog

• Options

H has been pretty "eh" about both babies. He was really, really excited when he found out I was pregnant both times...but then he just kinda settled back into his normal routine. I will say that this time, since he's deployed and focused on the mission, we don't talk about a lot of things - but he has expressed more often than I thought he would that he's excited to meet the baby and can't wait to get home.

Even though he's lukewarm on pregnancy [and probably over my mood swings], he's a great dad. He was really iffy with our first and handling a newborn, but he got into the swing of things very quickly. This time, I think he'll be even better at it. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My husband is more laid back this pregnancy.  Every time I winced or complained last time he thought something was wrong. 

I think he's actually more excited for this one b/c this is our miracle baby that we never thought we'd be able to have. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think mine is more scared than anything. He is sort of a spectator in many regards - even more than i am carrying the baby and he is not. He was talking about buying his little girl a dress the other day, which just about broke my heart in two....
  • Options
    i know my partner is excited, but he definitely doesn't initiate many conversations about baby. i, on the other hand, can't seem to think about anything else. he's happy to chat when i want to talk about it, but he's maintained his focus on his regular interests. he's also not one to run over to hold my belly, though he's happy when i put his hand on it and she kicks or i point out her visible movements.
  • Options

imageroxyttandme:
    I think mine is more scared than anything. He is sort of a spectator in many regards - even more than i am carrying the baby and he is not. He was talking about buying his little girl a dress the other day, which just about broke my heart in two....

Aw that's so cute! MH is excited but not crazy, super excited! We've been stressed out lately and that definitely affects his feelings because I think he just starts to feel the pressure more. But he does enjoy hearing about what LO is up to (movements, development, etc). 

• Options
    Dh is very excited about the baby. He has gone to every doctors appointment even though I told him it was completely unnecessary (really use the restroom, measure belly,and heartbeat).  He talks about the baby daily and he always want to touch my belly and feel little guy. I am sort of shocked that he is getting so attached and involved because that is absolutely not the model that he grew up with. It makes me so excited when little guy is here!
  • Options

imageJenOSU03:
    Dh is very excited about the baby. He has gone to every doctors appointment even though I told him it was completely unnecessary (really use the restroom, measure belly,and heartbeat).  He talks about the baby daily and he always want to touch my belly and feel little guy.

This is DH.....he missed one appt because of work and he was so bummed....he says goodbye and hello to the baby every time he says it to me (like when he leave for/comes home from work).

• Options
    This is our first and he's excited.  About three to four times per week he reads to the baby and loves feeling him move.  He's been super helpful and is excited to buy him books and clothes.  He also likes to talk about what he wants to teach our son when he's older.  I have to admit, he's more excited in the day to day (how much is he kicking, etc) than I expected.  He also will give the baby a kiss on my belly, which melts my heart.
  • Options

DF is super excited.  He has a daughter from a previous relationship (she will be 9) and he hasnt seen her in 2 years, and hasnt talked to her in about a year because her mom refuses to let him talk to/see her (long long story) and he wants to do everything he can to make sure he can see our DD and be there for her.

he talks to her all the time but hates the doc appointments.  i made him go to the first one, and the one where we found out what she was but other than the he doesnt care much.  some days are better than others, there are days when he really misses his other daughter but i remind him one day they will be reconnected and they will work through all thats happened.  i think i made him tear up cause i got DD a "little sister" onesie :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    DH is excited and has been helping pick out clothes and bedding...I really thought I would be the one to have to be told no we don't need anymore onsies or whatever it might be, but when we go to once upon a child or somewhere like that I have to monitor the stuff he is grabbing.  I think he is more excited about the parenting and birthing classes than I am and I know he can't wait for LO to be here; he has been holding on to his vacation and personal days for when the time comes.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    He's really excited to actually have the baby, and me not be pregnant anymore!  We don't talk about it alot, but I think that's because we don't need to plan on buying anything, childcare, etc.  I have noticed he feels the baby more this time, maybe because this LO is alot more active than DD was.

• Options

DH is far more excited/involved this time around. With DS he would have periods of excitement (like ultrasound, etc), but mostly was kinda meh. He would listen to me (or pretend to) when I talked about pregnancy stuff, but that's it.

The class we took did help, but really what helped most was me actually having my son. :)

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    I don't want to say he's not excited but it isn't the same as last time.  He is just so in love with James, he is scared that it won't be the same with #2. James is a huge daddy's boy.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    I had actually expected my DH to be more excited than he is. I think he's just stressed since I'm not able to work for now, so he's footing the bills. He actually admitted once that he "forgot" I was pregnant for a minute. It's different for us because we have a constant reminder of what's coming. I'm sure they'll make great dads though!
                                     http://www.pinterest.com/kate2904/
  • Options
    DH is anxious about becoming a dad, but he's also super excited.  He got to feel kicks finally for the first time the other day, and he was just amazed!  He's been so affectionate, too, which I love.
  • Options

My husband goes through "phases" of this too. I think it's just different for guys. 9 months is a LONG time for them to hear all of our complains and stuff. I can only get him to feel the baby's kicks a certain number of times before he seems bored. Personally when he does this, I think he is missing out :) A few days later he will get all excited about something random and it makes me feel better. He will be different when you baby comes out I'm sure, that's when it's real for them. 

Guys are weird. End of story ;) LOL 

• Options

It's our first and yeah, he doesn't seem excited at all. When I talk about baby stuff he'll listen for a few minutes and then kind of go back to whatever he was paying attention to before I started telling him what milestones the baby is hitting each week.

But, he has gone to a bunch of my appointments when he can get the time off work and I never expected he would be the kind of guy to coo over a baby bump, so it doesn't bug me. I fully expect the end result will provide all the excitement for him.

• Options
    DH was really excited the first time. But this time he hasn't been at all so I asked him and he said that he wants me to not be pregnant anymore so that he can have a turn holding our girls.
    image image image image Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DH goes through periods of excitement and then goes back to normal for a while.  It'll be something really random that gets him excited, like a onesie or seeing a baby out in public, and he'll stay excited for a few minutes and then settle down again.  He does listen to me (or pretend to) when I talk about pregnancy or Baby Kyle.

He was COMPLETELY disinterested in the childbirth class.  I thought it was the greatest thing ever and he just kept laughing at the boobs when breastfeeding was shown (...boys...*sigh).

He'll be a great Dad but seriously, guys are whole other animals.  Don't worry about the seeming coolness of your DH.  I bet he'll melt real quick after your LO is born.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"