Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Day 3 of 3 day potty training, now what?

We just came to the end of day 3 following the 3 day potty training method.  He wasn't drinking as much today, so surprise, surprise, he didn't pee as much.  L didn't let me know a single time that he had to go, so they all went in his boxers.  Twice we got dribbles in the potty after I ran him there when he started in his boxers.  He also had one poop in his boxers.  I feel like our ratio of pees in boxers to potty is the same as days 1 and 2, so there hasn't been much improvement.

I plan to keep going with this method, no turning back now.  My worry is that tomorrow life has to resume and I cannot stay home with him forever.  I'm feeling some cabin fever, and have to go out tomorrow for an appointment.  I am going to try to keep him at home as much as possible so we can stay close to the potty.  I guess I just need to repack my bag for him to include lots of changes of clothes and boxers.

For anybody that has been in the same boat, how much longer did it take for your LO to get the hang of it? I know L is younger than the method recommends, but I honestly felt/feel like he is ready, but it's just going to take him a little longer.

image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Day 3 of 3 day potty training, now what?

• Options

Mine doesn't have the hang of it .  He isn't ready.  He can say "go pee-pee" and "go poop-y"  But he doesn't GET it yet.  He sits on the potty and does nothing.

So, we aren't training and aren't pushing and letting him be in diapers until he is older.   When they are ready it shouldn't take super long.  If it does take super long, chances are they aren't ready. 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We went out on the second day.  I had DS pee before we left the house and just did short trips out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did my own version of the 3 day method with my daughter right when she turned 2. She took to it really quickly. When we went out, I just took short trips and made sure we were always close to a bathroom. Honestly, I know you know this, but he is really, really young for PTing. I know it can be done, though, so good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD is potty trained in the house but once we leave she has an accident. She forgets or maybe her comfort of home isn't there so she won't go in public. I now have a portable potty which I put a bag into and can lay flat on a public potty as a chair. It helps. I try to get her to go at home before we leave or if we are out for long she can use the portable potty in the car. 
  • Options
    imageabartow:

Mine doesn't have the hang of it .  He isn't ready.  He can say "go pee-pee" and "go poop-y"  But he doesn't GET it yet.  He sits on the potty and does nothing.

So, we aren't training and aren't pushing and letting him be in diapers until he is older.   When they are ready it shouldn't take super long.  If it does take super long, chances are they aren't ready. 

This, DS was trying to pee in the potty for a little while but then lost interest. I don't want to push it and have him regress. He likes to sit on it then run away, and he points to his 'thing' and says PEE! When I change him but no interest in the potty. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We kept it up--DS stayed home for 7 days or so. He was doing good on day 3, but still stayed home. (23 months)

DD did crappy all of the first three days, she went to the sitter on day 4-7. She potty trained just fine that week and was good to go! (19 months)

Keep it up! 

• Options

I do know he's really young compared to most kids for PTing.  I went into this with the hope that he would take to it right away, but I knew this was being incredibly optimistic.  I don't want to force him into it, and so far he seems fine with the process.  There are no tears or resistance when I put him on the potty.

He was going at least an hour without peeing today, so we might be safe for short trips.  Tomorrow unfortunately is a longish trip as we have a 45 minute drive each way to the appointment, but I cannot miss it so we'll just have to make due.  I'm going to bring our little potty chair with us and the seat cover in my bag so that we can try to successfully potty on the go.  I'm sure there will be accidents, but that goes with the process. 

image image

• Options
    imagestdldb29:

We kept it up--DS stayed home for 7 days or so. He was doing good on day 3, but still stayed home. (23 months)

DD did crappy all of the first three days, she went to the sitter on day 4-7. She potty trained just fine that week and was good to go! (19 months)

Keep it up! 

I'm glad to hear you had success with your DD at the same age as L.  I know they say boys take longer, but I'm hoping that's just another old wives tale that my MIL is trying to push on me.  I'm really hoping it's only a matter of a week or two before he's mostly dry, but I'm prepared for longer. 

image image

• Options
    imageCopperT0p:
    imagestdldb29:

Keep it up! 

I'm glad to hear you had success with your DD at the same age as L.  I know they say boys take longer, but I'm hoping that's just another old wives tale that my MIL is trying to push on me.  I'm really hoping it's only a matter of a week or two before he's mostly dry, but I'm prepared for longer. 

at LO's 2 year appointment pedi said average age for boys was 3-4 years old. So, yeah. You can certainly keep trying, just don't be frustrated if it doesn't happen yet.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Sorry I don't buy the argument that boys aren't ready to train until 3 or 4. The reason for that is because we rely too much on diapers and washing machines! why can kids in other countries train much earlier? I dont think they are physiologically different. Heck, in this country in the 1950's 90 percent of children were trained by 18 months.

I say keep going. If you need to go out, limit his liquid intake one hour before and make him pee right before! since he is younger, I think it may take him longer: 1 to 2 weeks.
    Good luck! I think your perseverance is great!
  • Options

imagelcherian:
    Sorry I don't buy the argument that boys aren't ready to train until 3 or 4. The reason for that is because we rely too much on diapers and washing machines! why can kids in other countries train much earlier? I dont think they are physiologically different. Heck, in this country in the 1950's 90 percent of children were trained by 18 months.

I say keep going. If you need to go out, limit his liquid intake one hour before and make him pee right before! since he is younger, I think it may take him longer: 1 to 2 weeks.

Thanks for the moral support!  I found it really interesting at an extended family potluck last weekend that all my mother's and grandmother's generation were really encouraging since they had potty trained by about 18 months.  All the parents in my generation were pretty skeptical of being able to do it at this age.  We cloth diapered, so I'm happy/eager to have less laundry and poopy diapers to spray out.  

I was so happy this morning when he had his first pee of the day on the potty.  He didn't tell me he had to, but I had the feeling he was going to go.  Of course he didn't tell me he had to go the second time and he peed just as I turned to pour a cup of coffee.  

image image

• Options
    imageCopperT0p:

imagelcherian:

Thanks for the moral support!  I found it really interesting at an extended family potluck last weekend that all my mother's and grandmother's generation were really encouraging since they had potty trained by about 18 months.  All the parents in my generation were pretty skeptical of being able to do it at this age.  We cloth diapered, so I'm happy/eager to have less laundry and poopy diapers to spray out.  

I was so happy this morning when he had his first pee of the day on the potty.  He didn't tell me he had to, but I had the feeling he was going to go.  Of course he didn't tell me he had to go the second time and he peed just as I turned to pour a cup of coffee.  

Sorry, but when YOU have the feeling he has to go, and he doesn't tell you.  Thats not potty training.  That's mommy training. 

He's not ready.........

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    It took my son several days to verbalize he needed to use the bathroom. Just keep reminding your son he needs to tell you when he has to pee or poop.
  • Options
    erbearerbear member

You're not going to love this answer, but it sounds like he's not ready. If at the end of Day 3, he's not even remotely trained, it's because he's not got control of his bladder yet. I'd drop it and try again in a few months.

I just trained my older DD at 3 years. It took 1 day and 1 accident because she was ready.

You could spend the next year "training" him (read following him around and trying to catch a pee) or you could wait. I know what I'd choose.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    I don't think the op will be trying indefinitely. It sounds like she's going to give it a week or two. And I agree, if he doesn't train by then, try again when he is closer to two.
  • Options
    imageerbear:

You're not going to love this answer, but it sounds like he's not ready. If at the end of Day 3, he's not even remotely trained, it's because he's not got control of his bladder yet. I'd drop it and try again in a few months.

I just trained my older DD at 3 years. It took 1 day and 1 accident because she was ready.

You could spend the next year "training" him (read following him around and trying to catch a pee) or you could wait. I know what I'd choose.

Exactly! DD was ready and was interested. I couldn't imagine potty training DS knowing (from DD) what communication skills and physical skills are needed for success.  

• Options

Just a thought (I won't comment on whether I think he's ready or not):

You might think about trying real underwear instead of boxers. Perhaps the boxers make him feel too naked or too free. I'm afraid he might not be really feeling the wetness. Sure the pee will run down his legs and get the boxers wet, but it won't be the same feeling as wet underwear (a much more tangible feeling) With tighty whiteys at least he'll REALLY feel the wetness and how uncomfortable it is when he goes in them. He can then, with your verbal help, make the connection that we don't want wet underwear, we want dry underwear. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I agree about the boxers and about only giving it another week or two and then if still nothing giving it a break. But I don't agree with the negative posts stating he's too young or that boys can't/don't train until 3-4 yrs. 

My son was 21 months and it took 4 days. The first two days were terrible and everyone told me the same things you're heading. But I'm happy to say I proved them wrong!  Since your DS is a little younger maybe he'll jut need a little longer.

Also, about the comment of "mommy training", don't listen to that!  Taking him to the bathroom when you think he has to go is a great way to teach him, as long as you explain to him that his "belly feels full" or maybe he has a "tickle in his pee pee" or whatever you want to use to help him associate the feeling of having to go with the need to go to the potty.  

• Options

Sorry, bumping in my phone and it got jammed up. 

Good luck to you and just follow your gut!  You know DS best!  

• Options
    imagestargazer77:

I agree about the boxers and about only giving it another week or two and then if still nothing giving it a break. But I don't agree with the negative posts stating he's too young or that boys can't/don't train until 3-4 yrs. 

My son was 21 months and it took 4 days. The first two days were terrible and everyone told me the same things you're heading. But I'm happy to say I proved them wrong!  Since your DS is a little younger maybe he'll jut need a little longer.

Also, about the comment of "mommy training", don't listen to that!  Taking him to the bathroom when you think he has to go is a great way to teach him, as long as you explain to him that his "belly feels full" or maybe he has a "tickle in his pee pee" or whatever you want to use to help him associate the feeling of having to go with the need to go to the potty.  

I never said he can't or won't train until he is 3 or 4.  I simply said the average age is 3 or 4.  Yes, it is possible to do it earlier, but don't be surprised if it takes longer.

As for my mommy training comment.  You can disagree, but to me chasing after your kid and quickly getting them on the potty because YOU think they need to go. Isn't potty training. Its training yourself to be doing it for them- mommy training.   Its not my term, its a term  that many daycare teachers use when the mom's go on and on on how they are potty training when in reality its them that are running around trying to "Catch" it.  And the kid really has not concept or interest on what is going on.

The child needs to be able to understand, communicate and want to do it themselves.   You can agree or not.  Doesn't really matter.  But there are many kids out there that can say, "pee-pee" or what not, but then when you put them on the toilet they do nothing.   Potty taining shouldn't take months and weeks.  If the child is ready, it should take a few days, hence the 3 method and other methods out there.  So, when the child at the end of day 3 or even a week is not making any progress.  To me, they are not ready. 

OP- do what you want, and I honestly hope you are able to train quickly.  Because spending your summer chasing your kid around hoping to "catch" the pee in the toilet doesn't sound like much fun to me.  I on the other hand will spend my summer on outings and at the pool and put up with diapers and wait until LO is fully interested, understands the concepts, can fully verbalize it and can independently learn to use the bathroom himself.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts.  I don't plan to keep doing this forever.  I think if he is showing reasonable improvement and signs that he's getting it in a few days (so about a week after starting), I will keep it up for another week.  If we aren't seeing him continue to progress by the end of 2 weeks, I will let it go (go back to diapers) for another month or two.  I definitely won't be spending my summer chasing him for potty breaks.

About the boxers, they are boxer briefs so they are snug to his legs and I think they touch him as much as briefs.  I should have clarified that, we never call them "boxer briefs" around here because it's just assumed in our house that boxers refers to those and not the loose regular boxers.  He has 20pr of those, and 4pr of 'tighty-whitey' briefs.  

image image

• Options
    Ha ha !  We did the "3 day" method too with our older son this past winter.  3 days my a**.  It turned into the "14 day" method.  By day 3, just like you, we hadn't seen any progress at all.  But luckily, I'm a SAHM, so I stuck with it and he has been daytime potty trained since then.  He only occasionally has accidents.  We haven't even attempted night time training yet.  I heard that happens a lot later, and he still wakes up with wet diapers every morning.  My advice is to forget about this promise of 3 days and give it another week or two if you can.  If your LO truly is ready, it'll probably happen.  Despite taking much longer than 3 days, I still think it's a good way to potty train a kid.  Parents just have to be realistic about how long it can take. 
  • Options
    imageCopperT0p:
    imagestdldb29:

Keep it up! 

Hate to break it to you, but it's not an old wive's tale.  Our pedi actually just explained this to us the other day.  The reason why girl's PT earlier is because the control of the bladder and bowels comes from the frontal lobe of the brain, which also is where language is.  This part of the brain matures a lot slower in boys, which is why boys PT later and talk later.  You are starting very early.  I would give it another week or so and if there is not progress, just drop it.  With boys, if you push them too hard, you can make the process take much longer than it has to be.  They get turned off to the whole thing.  My son was a little less than 2 1/2 when we PTed him and I thought that was awesome for a boy.

• Options
    Liam got it but he is older than your LO.  In the book the author even states that "even if my 15 month old was showing all the signs of readiness I would still wait until 22 months".  I would go for a little while longer just to see if it "clicks" but if it doesn't there is nothing wrong with stopping and trying again later.

image image
  • Options

I'm just a lurker - so I'm sure my opinion won't mean too much here...BUT -

abartow - it seems like you are being passive aggressive, or perhaps, bitter that she is attempting this at an age earlier than you deem appropriate. Why not say to the OP that your belief is to wait until the child is older and showing signs of comprehension. Perhaps in the form of an opinion or suggestion, rather than judgement?

Good luck OP, I have no knowledge of Potty training yet as my 1st is only 14 months. But I hope you let us know what the result is! I'll be very curious to hear.

• Options
    imageNewFamily09:

Hate to break it to you, but it's not an old wive's tale.  Our pedi actually just explained this to us the other day.  The reason why girl's PT earlier is because the control of the bladder and bowels comes from the frontal lobe of the brain, which also is where language is.  This part of the brain matures a lot slower in boys, which is why boys PT later and talk later.  You are starting very early.  I would give it another week or so and if there is not progress, just drop it.  With boys, if you push them too hard, you can make the process take much longer than it has to be.  They get turned off to the whole thing.  My son was a little less than 2 1/2 when we PTed him and I thought that was awesome for a boy.

Thanks for the explanation.  

imageamykins1283:
    Liam got it but he is older than your LO.  In the book the author even states that "even if my 15 month old was showing all the signs of readiness I would still wait until 22 months".  I would go for a little while longer just to see if it "clicks" but if it doesn't there is nothing wrong with stopping and trying again later.

I saw she said that, and thought I would give it a shot since there's not much harm in it.  I was laid off in May and am looking for work.  I thought if he is ready now it is the ideal time since I can be at home with him to train for a couple weeks if need be before I find another job.  

image image

• Options

I'm in the "he's too young" camp too, especially based on how things are going thus far. 

I love this quote from Baby 411 in defining toilet trained: "A child senses the need to pee and poop and performs these functions--without any prompting--on a toilet.  If you are taking your child to the bathroom every couple of hours and she is successful, you are toilet trained but she is not."

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageCaitHubb:

I'm just a lurker - so I'm sure my opinion won't mean too much here...BUT -

abartow - it seems like you are being passive aggressive, or perhaps, bitter that she is attempting this at an age earlier than you deem appropriate. Why not say to the OP that your belief is to wait until the child is older and showing signs of comprehension. Perhaps in the form of an opinion or suggestion, rather than judgement?

Good luck OP, I have no knowledge of Potty training yet as my 1st is only 14 months. But I hope you let us know what the result is! I'll be very curious to hear.

your right your opinion doesn't mean much. I am not being passive aggressive nor am I bitter. I said she is welcome to try it and I hope it does work for her, but in reality it may not and that's okay. I said he doesn't seem ready because of what she said is going on. Not by my belief whether he should or shouldn't be pt'd this young. If a kid seems ready, then sure go for it. But hers doesn't. End of story. I also wished het good luck with it and said i hope it goes quickly, for her own sake. But thanks for your opinion. You can go back to lurking now.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Wow. Maybe I should amend my suggestion to you being bitter in general, rather than just with regard to her choice to continue potty training.

I also noticed you had enough an issue with this to complain on another thread. Doesn't sound like a kind, pure hearted, simply offering an opinion kind of attitude to me.

I just didn't and still don't understand why you have to come across as rude. I'm sure you wouldn't offer your opinions in this way in real life. 

• Options
    Also - *you're
  • Options

seriously?

he's clearly NOT READY.

• Options

I also think it seems he's not quite ready yet. DS trained about a month and a half ago in about 4 days. The most accidents he had was 3 in one day and that was the first day. I think if you hold off until he's genuinely ready it will be a much smoother process for both of you.

Good luck! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    "Lilypie">image"Lilypie">
  • Options
    imageCaitHubb:

Wow. Maybe I should amend my suggestion to you being bitter in general, rather than just with regard to her choice to continue potty training.

I also noticed you had enough an issue with this to complain on another thread. Doesn't sound like a kind, pure hearted, simply offering an opinion kind of attitude to me.

I just didn't and still don't understand why you have to come across as rude. I'm sure you wouldn't offer your opinions in this way in real life. 

. Thanks for the spelling correction. I'm on my phone and sometimes autocorrect changes words. Sorry. And I love how you think I was referring to this post in another post. Guess what, I wasn't. I was referring to people in general and their crawling, walking, talking, knowing letters, sounds, shapes, colors, expectations. Not to one post in general but to a common theme I see here and it bugs me, which was the topic of the thread. And just because I didn't blow smoke up the OP's a$$ doesn't mean I was intending to be rude or passive agressive, just realistic. So you can like what I say or not, but really it doesn't matter. It's the internet and if you or others are going to get butt hurt about what is said, you can go back to lurking. ;)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

There is a difference between blowing smoke and unnecessary rudeness. Sorry for offending you in my initial response.  I'm not "butt hurt"; I don't derive my self worth from my message board posts. I was merely trying to portray the possibility to be decent when offering a differing opinion to a person asking politely for advice.

I'm done hijacking this tread for an obviously senseless purpose. I will lurk, and post if I wish. As you said, it is the Internet, and therefore we can all do what we want. Even if it means taking your inner frustrations out online to make ourselves feel better.

• Options
    imageCaitHubb:

There is a difference between blowing smoke and unnecessary rudeness. Sorry for offending you in my initial response.  I'm not "butt hurt"; I don't derive my self worth from my message board posts. I was merely trying to portray the possibility to be decent when offering a differing opinion to a person asking politely for advice.

I'm done hijacking this tread for an obviously senseless purpose. I will lurk, and post if I wish. As you said, it is the Internet, and therefore we can all do what we want. Even if it means taking your inner frustrations out online to make ourselves feel better.

. What inner frustrations? I feel great. But thanks for your concern. :)

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"