Baby Names

Picking a name based on baby's hair

DH and I are finally 100% decided on names. Picking a boy's name was relatively easy for us. (Oliver Jude) The girl's name has been a lot harder. We were going to use Piper for DS if he was a girl, and DH still really wanted to use it for this baby even though I didn't. (I think I posted about that a gazillion times on here.)

His main reason was that he thinks it would be perfect for a redheaded girl. Since DS has BRIGHT red hair, there's a decent chance our next baby might, too. I do agree with him that Piper seems like a great name for a redhead, although I'm not sure why we both make that connection. 

So if our baby is a girl, we are going to name her Piper Jean if she's a redhead or Catherine Jean (NN Kit) if she has any other hair color. Hopefully she is not bald :)  

Anyone else picture certain names on their lists with certain hair colors or physical characteristics?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Picking a name based on baby's hair

• Absolutely! I have a lot of name/hair color associations.

Red - Ruby, Scarlett, Poppy, 

Auburn - Autumn, Rachel, Willow

Brunette - Katherine, Nicole, Brooke, Rowan

Strawberry Blonde - Summer

Blonde - Misty, Spring, Kendall, Hailey, Mckenna/Mckenzie

Black - Isabelle/Isabella, Anastasia, Lily, Mia, Olivia

I could go on, but you get the point!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Absolutely!  Maggie and Fiona if she has red hair; Dierdre, Elizabeth (Betty), or Ramona if she's brunette.  For some reason my boys all come out blondes though so I'm not sure what's going on!
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Totally.

H and I went in with a list of 4 names for our LO. While haircolor wasn't our defining qualification it did play a role.

Ruby or Elizabeth was meant for a dark haired girl and we pictured Erica or Amy has a blonde. We got a Ruby. :)

• I think your plan sounds fine, a little silly perhaps, but fine. My only issue is as a newborn and for the first few months my DS looked like he was going to have red hair. He's a blondie now. Or DD could be blonde at birth and go red at a later time. That said, I love both Catherine and Piper giving a slight edge to Catherine. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wanted to add, don't take hair color too seriously.

My LO was dark as can be. She's now blonde.

We did the hair color thing more for giggles and something to joke about. We also liked all names equally so it was just a fun way to pick and be done.

• It did play somewhat of a role, at least with dd2. We had a list of names for her, but she was so absolutely blonde at birth (ds and dd1 weren't). Eirian really fit, since the name meaning was bright and beautiful (also seen it as silver). We didn't so much with Keira (dark one), and she's just as pale.
  • imageelfchique:
    I think your plan sounds fine, a little silly perhaps, but fine. My only issue is as a newborn and for the first few months my DS looked like he was going to have red hair. He's a blondie now. Or DD could be blonde at birth and go red at a later time. That said, I love both Catherine and Piper giving a slight edge to Catherine. 

You're probably right about it being a little silly. But it's a good way of letting nature decide between two names that we like almost equally.  

• Ha- funny you should have this idea- I just had a friend tell me about having 2 girl names picked out- 1 if she's blonde and the other if she's brunette.  Just want to point out- my DD was born with what looked like was going to be brown hair but now it's very red and probably will be curly once it gets longer.  So...sometimes you can't tell what their hair color will be when they come out!

• my daughters name is Erin Noelle - we decided before she was born that if she was fair like me she would be called Erin & if she was dark like her father she would go by Noelle....  Erin it was

• We've considered using DH's mom's name as a middle name (his mom died when he was a teenager), especially if she's born with red hair (his mom was a redhead). So, I don't think choosing a name based on haircolor is entirely crazy. but, I also realize hair color can change a lot in the early years, and many babies are completely bald at birth so we may not be able to guess at her hair color at all.
    The Fluffy Cat says... "Boxes are the best toys ever invented!"
  • Makes sense to me. I thought Annie would have dark hair but her bright orange hair (just like your DS's) fits her name much better, I think. Hazel has dark brown hair and her name fits better than if she had red hair. 

Our next girl name is Luna which I think fits a brunette better than a redhead, so we'll see what we get (if we have another girl). 

Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• A good friend of mine named her dd Penny. Her hair eventually changed to a very dark brown, but the name still fits her personality perfectly. Her older sister is Zella, also a great fit. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKearaD:

imageelfchique:
    I think your plan sounds fine, a little silly perhaps, but fine. My only issue is as a newborn and for the first few months my DS looked like he was going to have red hair. He's a blondie now. Or DD could be blonde at birth and go red at a later time. That said, I love both Catherine and Piper giving a slight edge to Catherine. 

You're probably right about it being a little silly. But it's a good way of letting nature decide between two names that we like almost equally.  

It's better than flipping a coin. If you love them both, go for it. Thumbs up from me.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We were going to do this if DS had been a girl. I have red hair so there was a chance LO would also be a redhead, and one of our names just seemed to fit a red haired girl more. Fwiw DS came out with red hair, so I am excited to see if #2 will be a redhead as well.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Seems risky if you really want the hair and name to coordinate. DD was born with black hair and is now blonde. I had blonde hair as a kid, but it is pretty brown now.

Things change.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• I (jokingly) promised my mother in law that if we ever have a daughter with red hair we'll name her Lucy or Ruby (two names she really loved). Now I'm totally hoping for a little redhead because I'm really loving Ruby....we may just use it regardless now. 
  • I love Ruby as a red haired child.Catherine is much, much better than Piper IMO.

As a random question - why does your son have a bloody nose in his picture?? He is very cute - just wondering. 

• The trouble is, many babies are born with hair that falls out and grows back a totally different color. My son has reddish (auburn) hair at birth and it is now light blonde. I've has lots of friends with very dark haired babies end up with blonde/redhead toddlers. 

I guess if you are ok with maybe your little brunette Katherine becoming toddler redhead Katherine (or Piper starting with red hair and ending up blonde) - go for it! 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imageaimeern623:

I love Ruby as a red haired child.Catherine is much, much better than Piper IMO.

As a random question - why does your son have a bloody nose in his picture?? He is very cute - just wondering. 

Those are actually just the dried scabs. The picture was taken 4 days after the accident actually happened. He was running outside at my in-laws' house and fell flat on his face on their sidewalk. It looks bad, but he actually only cried for 5 minutes. My friend who is a photographer wanted to take some pictures of him for her portfolio, and we decided not to cancel the session or photoshop out his scrape so we could have photos of his first big boo boo. It's kind of a right of passage for little boys, right? :) 

• Great names! Just remember hair color (and texture for that matter) can change. I was a light brown/reddish haired baby and kid and it was stick straight. My mom swore I would be her redhead.  Now it's naturally very dark brown and curly.

• We were either going to go with Elin or Audra. Elin if she was fair, Audra if she was dark.

When Audra was born she had a lot of dark hair and seemed to have my olive ( I'm Italian) complexion. So that's why we went with it.

As you can see in my siggy she is now fair and blonde totally took after my DH who is 100% Norwegian. Oh well...haha 

Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
  • I was born with black hair. It all fell out and came in blonde. I was blonde until I was nine and then I slowly became a brunette. That idea would not have worked for me. 

My niece was born with black hair and now she is a redhead. My nephew was born with black hair and he is now a platinum blonde. Hair color at birth is not very telling in my experience.  

Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• I did this with DS. I was going to name him Jude if he looked more like me, and Teddy if he seem to favor DH more. Well, he had delicate features when he was born, and I thought he really favored me, especially in the nose, so we named him Jude. A couple months passed and he clearly had DH's cute button nose, and is overall a mini-DH. So, I say go for it, but don't be disappointed if Catherine turns out to be red headed in the end, or if Piper goes blond or brunette. We have a couple of bright red heads in my family, and so far all of them have gone dark auburn/brunette in their teens.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I also have hair color/name associations, but since hair color can change dramatically after birth (or what if they are born bald?) I'm not sure you can use it to decide for sure.  I like both Piper and Catherine, but I think I prefer Piper with your son's name.
    TTC since June, 2011 with anovulatory PCOS, 1 blocked tube, and mild MFI
    3rd cycles clomid + Ovidrel = BFN
    4th cycles letrozole/Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    IVF #1 = BFP! Twins due 2/5/2014
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just thought I'd add that most children grow into whatever name you give them. If she has red hair when she's born, but it changes she'll still be HER and whatever name you gave her at birth will seem fitting her whole life regardless of what her hair does. 
  • Well, I was born with a full head of black hair. It fell out and grew in red after a few months. So, it's a cute idea, but it could back fire. Either way, I like both Piper and Catherine. :)

ETA: I see everyone else also mentioned the hair changing possibility. Late to the party lol.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Nope.  I was born with black hair, and my hair is now medium brown.  Both of my sisters were born with blonde hair and are now brunettes.  

I like Catherine Jean (and love Kit as a nickname)!  Oliver Jude is really nice as well.  We considered Oliver Jude or Jude Oliver when pregnant with DD (in case we had a boy).  

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Poor little guy!! Yes, it is a right of passage. :)
  • haha I'd be scared to do this based on hair color!

DS was born with black hair.  It fell out and he grew blonde curly hair.  Then he got alopecia and is now completely bald lol  If we named him based on hair color, that would have gone awry within a year!  

Little Man 1.8.11
    Freshie Girl 9.29.12
  • Just a small warning. My parents were pretty sure I would be a blonde since everyone in my family is blonde, but I was born with thick black curly hair. It all fell out after a few weeks and I stayed bald for almost a year. Then it came in white. I still have very light blonde hair now. 

My younger sister was born a strawberry blonde and remained that way. Her hair color today is the same as when she was born.

My older sister's two boys looked identical at birth - same blonde fuzzy hair. the older one's turned brown by age 3 or 4 and the younger one's quickly turned reddish and then blonde. It's still blonde at age 5.

What if she is born with red hair, but it turns brown? Of if she is born a blonde and later turns red? 

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • LOL, one of my friends had different names for dark or blond-haired babies. I just saw a Piper yesterday though, and she was very blonde

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"