November 2012 Moms

What childbirth technique are you studying?

For those of you interested in natural childbirth, what technique are you studying and why did you choose it? I'm trying to decide what seems to be the most realistic technique for me.

I'm also looking for recommendation on books/CDs/DVDs to use to study. Bonus if there's a birthing partner component (or separate literature) as well.

TIA!

Re: What childbirth technique are you studying?

• (lurking from dec ) 

I would post this in Natural Birth board as well. They know their stuff there! I've been recommended Ina May's guide to childbirth as far as reading. Also, the business of being born helped my DH understand my team natural wants.

We'll be doing a water labor. My doctor doesn't deliver water babies. :'( 

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • I really like hypnobirthing! i still struggled a bit in transition but by the time I wanted to through in the towel it was time to push. 15 minutes later I was holding my baby!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a natural birth and did not study or read really anything, but I did watch the Business of Being Born and Pregnant in America.  They are a bit one-sided but the information was interesting.   
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did the Bradley Method with DS and am planning on doing it again this time.  The book is called Husband Coached Childbirth by Dr. Robert Bradley.  I'm an RN so I already knew that I wanted to do a natural birth (if possible) and this was the first book I picked up on the subject and I agreed with everything I was reading.  This led me to taking Bradley Method classes which DH and I really enjoyed.  The class came with some books, including a workbook and lots of handouts.  Dads were fully involved in the process as well.  It can get pretty crunchy-granola depending on the instructor, which isn't our style, but I was able to use the techniques we learned in class and in the books and had a completely un-medicated and intervention-free birth. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I've just started looking into the hypnobabies home course kit a friend is letting me borrow. I'm not 100% sure if I'll go that route though because it talks a lot about how you have to be fully committed to it and you have to fully believe in it. I'm not sure I'd be able to study it w/o some kind of doubt but that might change as I get into it more. I also want to discuss the possibility of using TENS with my OB, I don't know if that's an option at my hospital.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • imageICarriedAWatermelon:

imageLollyBug18:
    I've just started looking into the hypnobabies home course kit a friend is letting me borrow. I'm not 100% sure if I'll go that route though because it talks a lot about how you have to be fully committed to it and you have to fully believe in it. I'm not sure I'd be able to study it w/o some kind of doubt but that might change as I get into it more. I also want to discuss the possibility of using TENS with my OB, I don't know if that's an option at my hospital.

If it's helpful at all, I am coming from the perspective of a healthcare provider (I'm an ER doctor), and I'd say I'm a pretty skeptical person. Some of the items that they mention on the CDs are pretty eye-roll inducing, but for the most part I find that the hypnosis sessions really DO relax me (I fall asleep nearly every time, haha). I think you just have to acknowledge that you find some things silly, but but also that you're willing to give anything a shot.

Thanks. I get the same impression reading the first part of the workbook, it's really convincing. But I don't think I could go around correcting people and asking them to call my contractions "pressure waves". lol I'm also not sure DH will get on board but I really think I want to try it out. Worst case scenario is I end up with an epi again, it was pretty nice last time Wink
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • I did the Hypnobabies homestudy course with DD and plan on starting it up again soon for this one. I won't lie and say child birth was painless but it made it manageable for me (and I managed to go med-free using it despite being in prodromal labor for 4 days leading up to it with barely any sleep!).

It taught me to relax through contractions which made them more manageable and effective so baby was able to move down and I dilated quicker had I not learned to relax instead of fight the contractions.

Lilly & Ryan 7/4/09 --- Lelia Noelle 11/29/10 --- Aerilyn Grace 11/3/12
    imageimageimageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"