July 2012 Moms
Options

NBR: Do you think snarky bumpies are snarky in real life? clicky poll.

This just crossed my mind and I am curious to see what others think.  May take my mind of the bowling ball inside me right now too. 

After reading the baby food post that turned so nasty I was wondering....do you think the women on the bump who are so snarky are really like that in real life or do you think they are timid and never say a word and use the internet to release the snark?  I don't see very much of that on the July 2012 board which is why I like it over hear so much, but see tons of it on other boards and was really just curious what everyone else thinks.

[Poll]
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR: Do you think snarky bumpies are snarky in real life? clicky poll.

• Options
    I was on the nest before this and they would always say how snarky the bump was so I was a little afraid to come on here, but July 2012 has been nothing but wonderful in my eyes! I haven't experienced much snark on here at all! I'm so happy I found this place. :)
    imageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    I would imagine that the snarkier they are online the less they are in real life...like they use the boards to say the things they wouldn't have the nerve to IRL.  Maybe that is just because I am the opposite -- I can be VERY opinionated in person, but try to be polite online.  No need to be offensive to strangers, IMO.  Now, people I have to actually deal with on a daily -- they need the smack down sometimes ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I say most of them probably aren't. I know generally, I almost never complain about anything IRL. I just pretend that I'm as happy and pain-free as ever. When I get online, I tend to just go ahead and say what I really feel. Generally I feel a lot better being able to get it out, even if it isn't always in the healthiest of ways. I still try not to be rude directly TO people.... just let the whining take over lol.
    BabyName Ticker image
  • Options
    K8saysK8says member

imageMrsJax2011:
    I would imagine that the snarkier they are online the less they are in real life...like they use the boards to say the things they wouldn't have the nerve to IRL.  Maybe that is just because I am the opposite -- I can be VERY opinionated in person, but try to be polite online.  No need to be offensive to strangers, IMO.  Now, people I have to actually deal with on a daily -- they need the smack down sometimes ;)

This!  Not sure if this is accurate overall, but this is how I tend to deal with snark online vs. RL also.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageMissMusic:
    I didn't see the baby food post, but I can assure you I'm just as much of a *** IRL as I am on this board.

LMAO! Wink

• Options
    I think some of them probably are, but a lot of people feel like they can say things more freely or express themselves in a different way than they would IRL because they are "hidden" by the internet.  The things I am snarky about IRL (mostly my family and ILs) I am not on here because I don't need them finding it and reading it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    oncoRNoncoRN member

imageMissMusic:
    I didn't see the baby food post, but I can assure you I'm just as much of a *** IRL as I am on this board.

Haha, I love you MM. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I looked for the baby food post too, but couldn't find it!
  • Options

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/66925127.aspx

It was on the 9-12 month board, and a mom was basically saying that she generally makes her own baby food, but a friend gave her a certain brand of organics baby food...can't remember the brand...and that she was shocked that even in the food where apples wasn't labeled as one of the flavors in the food, it was always the first ingredient.   She was basically saying to just be careful and read labels especially when you are paying for organic baby food.  It turned into this huge thing where she was misinformed because it was only one line of that brands food, etc.  It got really ugly and the "C" word was used...then flagged and deleted by the bump.  What basically started out as a PSA turned into a nasty internet battle.   I just started thinking....I wonder if she uses the "C" word in real life?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Anonymity is a great crutch to snark. Some people are caustic or offensive IRL too - these people I just feel sorry for. I can't imagine walking around all the time with that much hostility to unleash. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • Options

I for one am much more reserved here...I think that's why I spend so much time online now. Since becoming pregnant I really seem to "tell it like it is" in my personal life as I feel I have a child to protect, and boundaries to be made very clear. I think I was once far too permissive of bullshit in my life, and this new found strength isn't exactly popular with everyone.

Chatting online I can be detached again Smile 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"