Multiples

Newborns & Feeding "Schedules"

Hi all!  Life has been crazy since our son came home.  His sister is still in the NICU but doing better.

I have a question about feeding schedules.  The NICU put them on a strict every 3 hour feeding schedule, which was pretty good the first night.  Ok  on the second.

Went to pedi visit today and Dr. said just take them off the schedule, he should eat when he wants, however much.  I challenged him and said that I have heard that twin parents only remain sane if their babies remain on some kind of schedule.  

He wasn't gaining as much weight as the pedi wanted, about 2/3 an ounce a day instead of 1.  Recheck is going to be in 3-4 days.

Thoughts?  Is the schedule the way to go?

Also, NICU nurses said don't give him little "snacks" between meals because then he will turn into a "snacker" and that is pretty bad too. 

image image
                  Ayden & Sydney

Re: Newborns & Feeding "Schedules"

• Obviously mine are only a little older than yours so I don't have any experience to share. I just wanted to say congrats since I hadn't been able to yet! So glad your little man is home already! Hope his sister follows him shortly :)
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 6/25/10**TTC #1 July 2011**BFP 11/1/11**EDD 7/11/12**U/S shows TWINS!!! 11/30/11
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Fraternal girls born at 35+4. Slow down baby girls!!
  • YES I think a routine/schedule is.  I think what he's saying is if the kid wants to eat sooner, let him.  Some people take the every 3 hrs thing too seriously.  It should be no LONGER than 3 hrs.  And we'd still try to feed at the 3hr mark even if they ate sooner -- so we treated the "earlier" as if it didn't happen in the timing.  This worked out to be a pseudo on demand thing.  The snacking is bad, yes, but I think early on, especially if weight is an issue, you have to let the kid eat when he's hungry.  I'd say try burping the crap out of him when he's done then reoffering, so hopefully he'll start eating until very full and will snack less.

At 6/7 weeks we went to a 3hr EASY routine -- still feeding early if they needed -- and it's been amazing.  If you think of it as a routine instead of a scheudle it allows for more flexibility for growth spurts, hunger, sleepiness, etc.

DEFINITELY do "one up, both up" all day when they're both home.  Our boys eat at the same time (in the beginning it was w/in 30 minutes b/c I was BF'ing as exclusively as possible, though we supplemented from the beginning) and we attempt naps at the same time.  At night this saved us.  If it means your partner needs to get up with you, so be it!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh and re: the weight thing and eating.

Gabe was a "lazy" eater, and wouldn't let us know he was still hungry when he was done.  So for a week or so we would feed him at the boob and then offer him a bottle of formula, even if he didn't make any indication he was still hungry.  He took it pretty much every time.

So he could still be hungry even if he isn't offering cues, you know?  I'd try the burping a lot then reoffering thing every time for a while and see if that helps. 

• Thanks so much Kiwi!  Hope you and your new additions are doing well :)

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• Sorry I keep posting.

I want to say I sympathize with how utterly exhausting the every 3 hrs thing is.  By the end of the 2nd or 3rd week Jake and I were falling asleep talking to each other.  He hallucinated babies in the bed (he actually handed me a blanket as if it was a baby).  It's horrible as you go through it but we just laugh about it now.  You will, too :) 

• Thanks for the response NinjaBride!  

Ayden really isn't a burper.  We feed him in nothing but a diaper because he gets sleepy.  Usually I try to re-clothe him which makes him cranky, and then he takes some more. 

Hubbie and I are rotating night feedings right now, but I don't know if we will both have to tag team them at every feeding once Sydney comes home.  (ughh, only 2 1/2 hours sleep at a time)...

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

• I agree with you 100%!  And I've been through it twice!  I don't know how anyone could do it on demand and remain sane.
    7/2009 - Gonal-F cycle #2 with Ovidrel trigger and IUI #5 - BFP! Twin boys born at 38 weeks 3 days! 8 months later...spontaneous BFP! And twins again! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MrsLntMrsLnt member

I'm a huge proponent of schedules. We still eat on a schedule and my twins are almost 20 months old. 

We came home on a 3-3.5 hour schedule, not from the NICU or the nursery, just from feeding on demand in the hospital because I really had no idea what I was doing, and because mine were kind of sleepy and didn't cry that much (at first).

The first pedi we saw when we got home said they were underweight (DS was just over 6# and DD was just under 5#) and needed to eat every 2 hours and she switched us from regular Enfamil to Enfacare.  I was freaked out, wondering how this suburban pedi could know better than the pedis and neonatologists at the large teaching hospital where they were born.  Long story short, I called BS on that doctor, continued our 3-3.5h schedule, switched back to regular Enfamil, and found a new doctor.  DS has been in the 90th percentile for weight since about 4 months old so clearly he did not need the extra calories. DD has been around the 50th and has followed her curve, too. Our new pedi (who is much younger than the first one we saw) was very supportive of us feeding on a schedule, knowing that we had to have some method of survival. He basically just said don't go beyond 4 hours. 

Follow your gut as a MoM. I kind of feel like, if they do it in the NICU with itty bitties, it can't be that horrible of a thing, so long as you're not starving a baby to keep up with your schedule.  Also, remember that a pedi is medical professional but not a failproof reference manual on raising children.  

• Yes!  Keep the schedule.  Obviously, feed earlier if they are hungry but that schedule will be a life saver when they are both home.  I still keep mine as close together eating and sleeping as possible. 

IVF#1 May 2011 15 Eggs Retrieved, 11 Fertilized using ICSI + HPT on 6/9/11 Beta #1 420 Beta #2 2167 US 7/1 TWINS!! Due 2/18/2012 Brooke and Nora born at 35.6 weeks Jan 20th 2012
  • We feed on demand but also a schedule in that when one is hungry, the other eats too. This keeps them pretty in sync with each other, but they're still mostly deciding when they eat rather than a rigid schedule. It ended up being loosely 3-4 hours anyway. So I say go with the pedi and feed on demand. When your daughter comes home, start doing "one up both up" and it will hopefully work out for both weight gain and keeping them in sync.

Untitled

Etta Jane and Claire Elaine are here! Born March 28, 2012.

my blog

What it's like to cloth diaper twins, Part I.

Cloth diapering twins, Part II.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I fed them at the 3 hour mark if they weren't hungry but if they are hungry earlier, you kind of need to feed them. I didn't notice if you were BF or FF but if you BF, it's really important for your supply to feed them whenever they are hungry.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • jcathjcath member

Congrats and I hope both your little ones are home soon.

I think a schedule is a must with twins.  Doesn't mean you can't ever make an exception but having a plan and coaxing them toward that keeps your sanity.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've worked out a hybrid of feeding on demand and keeping my girls on a schedule. When one is hungry, I get them both up to eat. It took about 2 days for them to be totally on the same page (I usually had to struggle to keep one awake to eat), but now they actually both wake at the same time to eat. 

It's totally worth it, especially for night feedings. It means the difference between being up for 20 minutes or being up for an hour.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies!!!!!!  I am also going to try to use the other Pedi at that office and see if I like her better.  Obviously me and current pedi have very different opinions!

image image
                      Ayden & Sydney

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"