February 2012 Moms

I'm going to lose my mind. *Vent*

We have been on the phone with Citibank for 3 hours. I was stupid and took out a retail credit card when I was younger. I had a small balance on it but I've always had perfect payment history and we have very little other debt so I didn't think much of it. 

Well, 2 months ago I made a payment in the store on the day it was due. I received my bill for the next month with a 25 dollar late fee. I called them and asked about it and they said it was they're system's mistake and they'd remove it. That brought my payment due from 80 bucks to 55 (which I confirmed 2 freaking times.) I paid 60 in the store the following month and figured I was fine.

I get this month's statement and it says I have 20 dollars past due (80 dollars minus the 60 dollar payment), the 55 I normally owe, plus ANOTHER 25 dollar late fee. So the lady I talked to the first time didn't really take the first 25 dollars off so I didn't pay the full amount due. It was paid on time and I had another late fee applied. I called again and they admitted it was their mistake and they could apply the extra 45 dollars to my balance but I had to pay the entire 95 to bring my account current or they would be sending to to collections.

I never paid it late in the first place!!!

I feel like I could scream just typing this out. So I went into the store and paid the total balance because I wanted to just be done with them but they couldn't close my account in the store. I called freaking Citibank again (after paying my account completely off) and was forwarded to a collections agency. I've never paid a bill late in my entire life and have perfect payment history. What kills me about all of this is that they've admitted over and over that it was all their mistake but there is "nothing they can do to fix it." Supposedly their system won't allow it. Whatever.

I freeeaaaked out. I finally got someone from the bank on the phone and "closed my account" but apparently I'll still be getting a bill next month for residual interest. I feel like this is never going to go away. How can these people sleep at night?

Lesson learned. I will NEVER open a retail credit card (or any card for that matter) again. I knew there was a reason that I pay for most items in cash. What a headache. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I'm going to lose my mind. *Vent*

• OMG! How did you not totally lose your cool? I would have been livid!

DH and I are both on debt management plans that will have all our credit cards paid off within the next year and a half. (Yes, we pay a fee to the debt management company, but it's worth it to us.) We have vowed to never open a credit card ever again. When I was a freshman in college, Mastercard actually had applications in our student mailboxes. I was 17 and I had no idea what I was getting into when I opened the account. Honestly, it shouldn't have  been allowed. 

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageredheadscu:

OMG! How did you not totally lose your cool? I would have been livid!

DH and I are both on debt management plans that will have all our credit cards paid off within the next year and a half. (Yes, we pay a fee to the debt management company, but it's worth it to us.) We have vowed to never open a credit card ever again. When I was a freshman in college, Mastercard actually had applications in our student mailboxes. I was 17 and I had no idea what I was getting into when I opened the account. Honestly, it shouldn't have  been allowed. 

This is me too! I ruined my credit my freshman year of college, and I've been trying to fix it ever since.

And Citibank SUCKS!!! I have a private Citibank student loan that I have to pay over a week in advance or it doesn't go through in time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I just listened to Dave Ramsey talk about credit card companies and collections. What happened to you sounds like it's against the law. If that happens to you next time, get them in writing to state that the mistake was theirs and that they will fix it. Do NOT pay the extra chart and let them take you to collections. Then they would have to take you to court to get the money and you will have a say to the judge, with all of the documentation, showing that you do not owe the money. This would never hold up in court and if what they did was illegal, they would end up owing YOU money.

You can also have these conversations recorded and taken to court. I hate credit card companies.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I would:

- call back and speak to a manager and demand they fix it.

- follow up with a letter to citibank, copy the CEO and send him a copy.  Also cc your state's attorney general.

-  send a letter of dispute to the credit reporting companies if it appears on any credit report. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"