Baby Names

Grandpa's name is popular....

So my husband and I are TTC, and of course thinking of names. DH grandfather was basically his father and a great man, so we wanted to use his name for our sons middle name (if we have a son anyway). The problem is our older cousins already did this with their son and DHs sister is going to use grandpa's middle name for her sons middle name. Also, we got married on our cousins 1 year anniversary (complete accident!).  His grandpa was the anchor to his family and did so much, I almost feel like there's no such thing as too much honor for him.  So should we just come up with something else? Are we accidently copying too much? 

imageimageimage

Married my Best Friend 5/24/09~BFP 8/6/2012~EDD: 4/10/2013~Induced 4/4/2013, Delivered4/5/2013~DX: Type 2 Diabetes(2011)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Grandpa's name is popular....

• Can you use his middle or last name? Same thing happened to me but with my grandma- Evelyn who went by Ebby. My brother took Ebby, my cousin used Eve, so I'm taking her maiden last name Riley. When someone is so special you want to honor them and so loved by so many people!
  • His last name is the same as ours, so it would be a lil odd, lol. My SIL is using his middle name, not to mention I prefer his first name. His first name was Max, cousins went with Maxwell, so we could do just Max or something else...? 

imageimageimage

Married my Best Friend 5/24/09~BFP 8/6/2012~EDD: 4/10/2013~Induced 4/4/2013, Delivered4/5/2013~DX: Type 2 Diabetes(2011)

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • How about Maximo or Maximus? I like Max- id avoid Maxwell now anyway with Jessica Simpson using it.
  • I can't do Maximo or Maximus, NMS, lol. It took me a long time to get used to the idea of Max, haha. And I see what your saying about Jessica Simpson. Thanks for all the suggestions! I've got 9+ months to think about it anyway, lol.

imageimageimage

Anniversary

• We have a cousin who used Max.  I love it.  Its short, simple, and SO him.  I vote for "Max" -- it doesn't need to be nn for anything.  Its a great tribute and a great name!

We have multiple duplicate names in DH's family.  Especially because everyone was named after AMAZING people.  Every child knows who he was named for and why. 

together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think Max would be a great idea to honor his grandfather. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• If we are talking mn's then I don't think it's a huge deal to reuse Maxwell/Max as a mn. Two of DH'S cousins have the same mn and it's no big deal.

• I would just use his name as a MN, and come up with a new first name.

• If it's a girl you could use Maxine?
    The waste in life lies in the love we have not given, the powers we have not used and the selfish prudence that will risk nothing; and which shirking pain, misses happiness as well. Mary Cholmondeley
  • imageMarSamWhitney:
    I would just use his name as a MN, and come up with a new first name.

This!!! 

• I don't think it's a problem to use Maxwell. My grandpa's name, William, was used as a MN by my sister and as a first name by my cousin; we feminized it and used Willa as a MN. As my sister pointed out, this is how family names get started.
  • imageReilly626:
    How about Maximo or Maximus? I like Max- id avoid Maxwell now anyway with Jessica Simpson using it.

why would this matter? Not every celebrity baby name becomes a trend; in fact, very, very few do. I would be really shocked if anyone took Jessica simspon's lead and named their daughter Maxwell-- it's so dumb (for a girl). 

Not a fan of Max on its own as a MN-- seems incomplete, and it's pretty much the same name so all it does is fall a little short of completely honoring him. 

• If it bothers you, maybe you can use his mn or la, a diminutive form of the name, another version of the name, or something that sounds similar.

• I see nothing wrong with cousins having the same middle name to honor a family member. My Mom's sister's mn was Marie and she had a cousin in each family who also had used Marie. It was after the grandmother and all the siblings used it for their daughters.
  • Thanks for all the reassurance! Ideally we would use Maxwell for a mn because Max "feels incomplete" and Arnold (Gpa's middle name) is so NMS. It's just trickier cuz we share an anniversary with them and don't want to "copy" them too much. But thank you all for the feedback : )

imageimageimage

Anniversary

• My cousin and I have the same mn, named after a great-grandmother and our first names are both after our grandmother (different names, same letter, Jewish tradition).  All of my mom's siblings are named after the same two people.  Throughout my friends family there is a Jaylin Alexis, an Alexa, a Brandon Alexander and an Alexander Miguel among all the cousins, all honoring their grandmother.  I think it is perfectly fine to name after your grandfather and continue to honor him.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Because it is a middle name, I don't think it is a big deal at all to reuse it even if others have already used it, and Max is just fine by itself if you want.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"