January 2013 Moms
Options

Shortness of breath

I've been feeling like I have to keep breathing in deep or yawn a bunch, like I'm not getting enough. I know this is common later in pregnancy when everything is causing pressure, but 13 weeks (and 3 days haha had to add it)? Has anyone else felt like they aren't getting enough air?

Kendall, 1/1/13
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Shortness of breath

• Options

I do get it sometimes. Well everyday, but not all day. It seems to be worse when I go from outside in the heat to ac inside.  It is VERY annoying.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have once since I've been pregnant but I've had shortness of breath problems for about 6/7 years. I went to the hospital about 4 or 5 times between 11th/12th grade and now due to "anxiety" driven chest tightness which affected my breathing.

Here are my tips:

1. Pursed lip breathing

https://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/2400/2408.asp?index=9443

Make sure to breathe out for a few seconds longer than your in breath because you want to make sure to expel all of the CO2 in your lungs.

2. Lay on your left side

Not sure where I read this but I've heard it helps so I usually try to position myself resting on my left side if pursed lip doesn't help alone. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagethis decaf life:

I have once since I've been pregnant but I've had shortness of breath problems for about 6/7 years. I went to the hospital about 4 or 5 times between 11th/12th grade and now due to "anxiety" driven chest tightness which affected my breathing.

Here are my tips:

1. Pursed lip breathing

https://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/2400/2408.asp?index=9443

Make sure to breathe out for a few seconds longer than your in breath because you want to make sure to expel all of the CO2 in your lungs.

2. Lay on your left side

Not sure where I read this but I've heard it helps so I usually try to position myself resting on my left side if pursed lip doesn't help alone. 

I agree that this could be a symptom of anxiety. I have been having little anxiety episodes due to pregnancy hormones. (I often experienced them during PMS.) Breathing techniques should help. 

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• Options
    I hated hearing at 16/17 years old though that it was "anxiety" and all in my head so I try to use the term loosely. The pursed lip breathing helps so much though!
  • Options

Anemia can make you feel short of breath so make sure you a getting enough iron. 

Also, the reson pregnant Often feel short of breath is only partly related to the pressure of the baby, the other part has to do with chemical changes causing a slight acidosis in the blood ( or maybe alkalosis...can't remember which)  anyway that causes your body to feel short of breath when in reality your oxygen saturation is fine :) So it is possible the pregnany is what is causing the shortess of breath. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have been having shortness of breath for about 4 weeks now. It sounds weird but it nealy feels like I am breathing for two. Its a really deep clear intake of air, that feels like it is going really deep into my lungs. I asked my doctor about it, and he said it is normal. Another symptom of pregnancy.
  • Options
    This is interesting!  I just assumed I was pumping too much blood and my body couldn't keep up.  I really notice it when I go upstairs, and that's been since pretty early when I wasn't showing at all and hadn't told anyone, so I'm sure people just thought I was horribly out of shape.  I remember being with a friend from out of town and getting winded after about one flight and her charitably saying, "This is quite a workout, huh" - oh man.
  • Options
    imageAgshan08:

Anemia can make you feel short of breath so make sure you a getting enough iron. 

Also, the reson pregnant Often feel short of breath is only partly related to the pressure of the baby, the other part has to do with chemical changes causing a slight acidosis in the blood ( or maybe alkalosis...can't remember which)  anyway that causes your body to feel short of breath when in reality your oxygen saturation is fine :) So it is possible the pregnany is what is causing the shortess of breath. 

This is interesting!  I just assumed I was pumping too much blood and my body couldn't keep up.  I really notice it when I go upstairs, and that's been since pretty early when I wasn't showing at all and hadn't told anyone, so I'm sure people just thought I was horribly out of shape.  I remember being with a friend from out of town and getting winded after about one flight and her charitably saying, "This is quite a workout, huh" - oh man. 

p.s. sorry guys!  I tried to delete the one that didn't have the quote I meant to include, but it says I can't...I promise I'm not trying to be annoying!! 

• Options
    imageURMySunshine77:
    imagethis decaf life:

Here are my tips:

1. Pursed lip breathing

2. Lay on your left side

I agree that this could be a symptom of anxiety. I have been having little anxiety episodes due to pregnancy hormones. (I often experienced them during PMS.) Breathing techniques should help. 

I have had anxiety attacks since I was 7. The shortness of breath can lead to an anxiety attack and then cause more shortness of breath, but I do think what I am feeling is initially something different. I'm just finding myself out of breath with normal day to day activities, even just talking. I have noticed laying on my left side at night helps a bunch!

Kendall, 1/1/13
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I've had it going on for awhile too and started taking iron a week ago. I didn't know there were changes in the blood though. That is pretty interesting and can def help me relax if I am not doing it alone.

clariknittist: No problem! I am glad you're having the same symptoms (but sorry that you are). It makes me a bit calmer.

Kendall, 1/1/13
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    sesigssesigs member
    Ever since I got my BFP I feel like I am suddenly so out of shape! I get short of breath and tired much easier than normal. I saw the NP in my OB's office yesterday and asked about it and she told me that the hormonal changes cause it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"