Baby Names

Maeve

I really like this name, but not sure how to pronounce it!  Help ladies!

Re: Maeve

• I always thought it was pronounced like the color Mauve.  I've never met anyone IRL named that tho so I could be totally wrong.  I'm not wild about names that the pronounciation is not abundantly clear.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Great name, like the above poster, rhymes with dave. 
  • NMS and I think it would be forever mis-pronounced.

~TTC#1 Since July 2011~ 
    Dx: Fibroids & Tubal Infertility
                                                        9/12 -IVF#1 =BFN; 5/14 -IVF#2=BFP:-) EDD 2.19.2015                                                

S/PAIF Welcome 

imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• imagemj.reilly:

Pronounced exactly how it looks -- rhymes with Dave.

I don't see how it isn't "abundantly clear." 

"Mae" then a "v" sound 

Great name! 

Probably because it's not spelled like "Dave"...there's an extra e. It's obvious if you are familiar with the name or if it's somewhat popular in your geographic area.

~TTC#1 Since July 2011~ 

S/PAIF Welcome 

imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• Even the OP was not sure of it's pronunciation.

~TTC#1 Since July 2011~ 

S/PAIF Welcome 

imageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• imagemj.reilly:

"Mae" then a "v" sound 

Great name! 

I completely agree! I've heard the "mauve" thing before, and even my sister thought that was the way to pronounce it, but it always seemed clear to me. I absolutely love this name. If only DH did as well... 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
  • It's getting "relatively" popular in the US these days, I know a few young Maeves, as well as one in my extended family.

I wouldn't worry too much about mispronunciations, most people would get it after being told once, it is pretty simple Mae + ve. Of course people mispronounce my friend's name, Joanne, (Joan, Joanna, Joanie) all the time and it is spelled precisely as it is pronounced  -- so you have to deal with things like this with common and uncommon names.

• imagemj.reilly:

"Mae" then a "v" sound 

Great name! 

This!  It's actually all right there in the name.  What about it looks like the maw sound?  I think people don't take the time to think about it, this happens with lots of names and I would never discount a name for that reason.  People post on here all the time about how their name is Michelle but they get called Melissa etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageaustenreader85:

It's actually all right there in the name.  What about it looks like the maw sound?  I think people don't take the time to think about it, this happens with lots of names and I would never discount a name for that reason.  People post on here all the time about how their name is Michelle but they get called Melissa etc. 

That is so true. People can mispronounce or mess up pretty much anything. The same thing goes for spelling; my name is Ashley (spelled correctly) but it's constantly misspelled. I think it's okay to consider a name that might be unfamiliar to people at first as long as it's not too out there in spelling and pronunciation (which Maeve is not). I think people will get used to it pretty quickly.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
  • May-v; rhymes with Dave, save, gave, etc. 

I love this name! 

• LOVE!!!!  The author is great too!
  • This has always been one of my names on my list.  My middle name is Mae and I always wanted to pass it on to a daughter (if I'm lucky enough to have one) but I didn't want to just use Mae.  Maeve was the perfect way to do so!  It definitely gets my vote!
  • I do believe the rise in popularity seems to be related to geography. As it's an Irish name, and I live in the Northeast, I've already met a number of other Maeves in addition to my daughter. We've had limited issues with pronuciation. We have had issues with people writing "Mauve".  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • NMS, but Ive seen it on lots of people's potential baby names lists!
    DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageBellaLux:
    imagemj.reilly:

"Mae" then a "v" sound 

Great name! 

Probably because it's not spelled like "Dave"...there's an extra e. It's obvious if you are familiar with the name or if it's somewhat popular in your geographic area.

But "Mae" is pronounced like "May."  I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from.  I've never met someone named Maeve, it isn't a common name in my area at all, and I think the pronunciation is obvious.

OP, I say go for it!  It's a beautiful name.   

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Loved it but it didn't flow with our last name.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"