Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Waking baby up

Connor has past his birthweight so I've stopped waking him up at night but it's my understanding that I still should not let him go more than 3 hours during the day.  Well, he naps like a champ, especially his last nap before bedtime.  I have been waking him up but im rethinking this... If you have a super napper, do you wake them up every 3 hours to eat?

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                     BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
      BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                               BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

Re: Waking baby up

• Options
    Nope.  I never did w/ DD either.
  • Options
    fryratfryrat member
    I have done both. I find that if she sleeps better during the day, she also sleeps better at night. I try to let her sleep. She doesn't sleep longer than 3.5-4 hours during the day (at the most) anyway, so it's no big deal to me.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't let him go more than 4. The other day he slept from about 4:30-9, then right back to bed after his bottle, and was up from 1-3:30, so I'll keep waking him up after 4
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • Options
    I was raised with the mantra NEVER wake a sleeping baby, my LO is only a week old but I still let him go longer then 3 hours.  He's steadily gaining weight and produces WAY more then enough diapers so if he's going to sleep for 4+ hours at a clip I'm not going to interrupt. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I have a super napper too (during the daytime)!  I let her sleep longer during her naps in the morning and early afternoon.  At about 7ish I like her to be awake off and on and then she is ready to crash for the evening around 9:30-10:30 and will sleep for ~3 hours or so during the night before wanting to eat. 

Hope this helps.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I wake DS every 3 hours during the day to eat but at night I leave him alone. He usually sleeps 5-6 hours at night.
  • Options
    I never woke LO up to eat but she quickly surpassed her birth weight in a matter of days.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't wake DD up. I have enough trouble at times feeding her when she wakes up herself! She's 3 weeks old & had passed her birth weight by 2 weeks.
  • Options
    ToraniTorani member
    If you are worried, go in for weight checks once a week. As long as his weight gain is fine, let him sleep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes, I always wake during the day at least until a more solid nap schedule emerges. Once LO hits their birthweight, I let them go at night. DD was giving us 6 hours straight at 6 weeks and then another 3 after that so I'm hoping to repeat with DS.
  • Options

Yes, I only have to do this for her last nap of the day which tends to be the longest, so I don't let her go more than 3.5 hours. The others are only 45 min or so. I also do it so that I can get her to bed around the same time every night and keep her awake long enough to get 2 cluster feeds into her and hopefully push her night waking as far off as possible.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nope I always let her decide the feeding. Sometimes if she ends up having like a 4 hour nap she will  only have a 1.5 hour stretch between the next two nurses instead of 2-2.5. 
  • Options
    No, I haven't woken him up since the 1st night. When I set my alarm and tried to wake him up that 1 st night and he would NOT eat, despite bugging him and stripping him down, I decided I wasn't waking both of us for no reason. He regained his birth weight in less than a week. 
  • Options
    The only times that I have woken up LO to eat (after we got the clear to not do so - he was a preemie) are when I knew we were going somewhere in the car and he would wake up hungry on the car ride or as soon as we got to our destination. Otherwise, I let him sleep. He also was a great daytime napper (had days and nights mixed up at beginning) and is a fairly good sleeper in general.
  • Options
    Yes, we feed every 3 hours during the day and wake him up if he is napping. He started sleeping 5-6 hours at night when we implemented this and now sleeps 6-7--- if he is not in a " wonder week". Our pediatrician advised to wake him and fill him up during the day and he should start sleeping longer stretches at night...it worked.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageDivashrink1982:
    The only times that I have woken up LO to eat (after we got the clear to not do so - he was a preemie) are when I knew we were going somewhere in the car and he would wake up hungry on the car ride or as soon as we got to our destination. Otherwise, I let him sleep. He also was a great daytime napper (had days and nights mixed up at beginning) and is a fairly good sleeper in general.

This is basically what I do. He rarely sleeps more than 4 hours at a time at this point. I just pump after a couple of hours if he looks like he's going to keep on sleeping. He has tricked me a time or two, and woke up to feed just as I got done pumping. Those experiences make me glad that I'm not an EPer. Those girls are dedicated!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"