Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Flying with toddler with Peanut allergy

I am flying with my husband and 23 month old son next month.  My son has a peanut allergy.

What precautions have you taken to ensure your child's flight is safe for his allergy?  I'm freaking out a little. 

Thanks.

Re: Flying with toddler with Peanut allergy

• Options

My sister has a peanut allergy and it's helpful to notify the flight crew of the allergy.  I don't think many airlines give away peanuts anymore, but if they do, usually they'll do pretzels instead. 

I've also been on a few flights where they have made an announcement that someone on the plane has a peanut allergy and if everyone could refrain from any peanut products while on the plane (since it can be airborne).

I would also just wipe down your area since toddlers touch everything in case the person sitting there before you had peanut products.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was actually really surprised on the last flight I was on that they did give away peanuts (I think it was United). I was sure all airlines had stopped that. 

I think informing the flight crew is probably a good idea.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would call the airline. the last few flights I have had they handed out pretzels. I would also take some wipes and wipe down the seats/walls and other things that LO will be touching. I know I brought snacks that went everywhere, and I cleaned them up, but I'm sure I left crumbs of crackers and pretzels. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
     I would tell the gate attendant (in the airport) so he or she can notify the flight attendants as the plane is being prepared for boarding--so they will know before you even get on the plane--and then tell them again when you get on. Also, even if your child's allergy isn't that severe, I might be tempted to tell them that it is so they will take it seriously.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    agytayagytay member

How severe is the allergy? 

My son has a peanut allergy but it is not severe. It was not a problem during our flights.

• Options
    I just found out that my son has a peanut allergy and the whole thing kind of freaks me out.  How severe is your sons?  It appears that my son only reacts when he ingests peanuts.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Not sure how severe the allergy is.  The first time he had peanut butter he was fine.  The second time he had PB (many months later) his face neck and chest broke out in hives and he was sneezing like crazy with a very runny nose.

Took him to the allergist. When she saw the results of his skin test she said it was a severe reaction (big hive on arm).  The blood test confirmed the allergy.  I was never told exactly how severe the allergy is, but I won't take a chance at all.

I carry liquid children's Benedryl and his Epipen everywhere.  I'm really nervous about this flight, but I am going to call Delta and see what they say.   

• Options
    if you are flying Southwest you can contact the reservations line and notify them they will remark your reservation. You will also need to tell the agents when you check your luggage. They advise the other agents that flight x is a peanut free flight. Wipe everything down when you get on board
  • Options
    agytayagytay member
    imagetallica55:

Not sure how severe the allergy is.  The first time he had peanut butter he was fine.  The second time he had PB (many months later) his face neck and chest broke out in hives and he was sneezing like crazy with a very runny nose.

Took him to the allergist. When she saw the results of his skin test she said it was a severe reaction (big hive on arm).  The blood test confirmed the allergy.  I was never told exactly how severe the allergy is, but I won't take a chance at all.

I carry liquid children's Benedryl and his Epipen everywhere.  I'm really nervous about this flight, but I am going to call Delta and see what they say.   

Your story sounds like mine, but my LO only has food allergies when he ingests the food. Prior to calling Delta, I suggest that you eat peanut butter in close proximity to your LO and see what happens. If for some reason you have another doctors appointment, take a small bit of peanut butter to the office. Hold your LO in one hand, while you eat the peanut butter with the other. That way you are testing it out in a controlled environment. 

I know that everyone is different but, my LO has peanut, milk, and egg allergies, and I continue to consume all of the above in his presence. 

• Options
    frlcbfrlcb member
    I have been on Delta flights where they have not served peanuts for several rows and also where they have not served them on the whole flight due to allergies. They should work with you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"