Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

pumping and stress - not a good mix

anyone having issues pumping? I just returned to work on Monday and pumping went well the first day and then I started getting hardly anything (all day). Yesterday I came home with 3 oz of expressed milk. Ugh. This happened to me last time too. I think I get too stressed about it and my milk doesn't let down. I've been pumping almost since she was born and havent had issues.

Any thougths or suggestions? I have a photo of her with me and am getting my thyroid levels checked again next week. I'm not event that stressed out, it's all mental!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: pumping and stress - not a good mix

• Options
    I've heard that around 4 months that your supply dips.  Are you drinking at least 10 oz of water after each pump?  My supply has been dipping the past few days. I'd just make sure to really relax when you pump and make sure you are pumping for at least 15 min.  I have noticed recently that I will let down again around the 15 min mark. Good luck and I hope your supply comes back up.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

No advice here, my milk supply was lousy from the very start and I was lucky if I could ever get 5 ounces total when I pumped.

You could try positive visualization, bc stress will definitely decrease your supply even more.  Fenugreek tablets worked a little while for me - take it until you smell like maple syrup.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't even think it's a supply thing. I can feel milk in there. THis morning I couldn't pump more than .5 oz from my very full one, then I woke up dd, hooked up the pump again and got 5 oz. I mean come on! That's why I know it's totally mental. But I do like the idea of being persistant and keeping the pump going for 15 mins. Is just that I can't get the letdown to happen. Ugh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    That does sound frustrating.  Could it be you have a clog? Does your breast feel hard?  If so, maybe a warm compress before or during pumping might help the let down.  I'd try looking at Kellysmom or the LLL website for some info, too!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Have you tried massaging while pumping?  I will massage while I pump and will get a ton more that way as well.  My lc told me to pump for at least 15 min. every pump. What kind of pump do you have btw?
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

I always try to relax a little and find my 'mommy brain'. if you are still in work mode you will have a hard time getting a let down. 

You cal also rub your nip's with your fingers before pumping, that seems to send some trigger to my brain (if you think about it, the pump really has 0 contact with your nipples so it always perplexes me that a pump would work!)

Also, I had to go down a size in the shields. I think the standard is 24mm I had to order the 21 off amazon. If I try and pump with the 24 I get about half as much. There is probably a fit guide on your pumps website.

May be worth contacting a LC too! Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"