Breastfeeding

Pumping help

I am EBF my now 5 week old daughter and its going well. She's eating every 2-3 hours, but I'd like to start creating a freezer supply. I just can't figure out when to pump and how much I should get at each pumping session.  I am afraid that I won't have enough milk to feed her when she's ready to eat, because I have pumped.  

Re: Pumping help

• kel716kel716 member

Is she eating around the clock?  or is there a longer stretch at night?

If she's eating around the clock, I'd pump after your first feed of the day when you're up for the day.  Pump for 15-20 minutes....  I stop after my 2nd letdown (2nd set of sprays) ends.  How much you'll get depends on you, so it's hard to say.  Keep in mind that 3 ozs is probably an extra bottle, so don't stress if  you don't get a lot.  Remember that it is EXTRA and not a part of your day. 

• I am new to this, so I am interested to see other replies. My daughter will be 6 weeks on Monday, and I think I've figured out a pumping schedule that works well for us. When my daughter wakes up for the day, I breastfeed her. Then I pump. Your milk supply is highest during the morning hours so that is a good time to pump. I know she has gotten whatever she needs since I feed her right before pumping. I breastfeed her throughout the day, every 2-3 hours. Then, for her last feeding before bed, my husband gives her a 3 oz. bottle of pumped breast milk. We wanted to get her accustomed to the bottle so that the transition is easier when I go back to work. While my husband gives her the bottle, I pump so that my supply doesn't decrease. I get about 3-4 oz. per pumping session. Since I am pumping 2x a day and giving one bottle a day, I am able to freeze about 3-4 oz. a day. I am thinking about adding in one more pumping session after one of my afternoon feeds, so that I can freeze more per day. Hope this helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • As others have said, your morning feed will be the best time to pump for a couple of reasons:

- your breasts are fuller and a little less likely to be fully emptied by baby, so there is less chance of baby not getting enough later.

- prolactin levels are higher in the morning, which will make stimulating additional milk a bit easier.

You should pump for a minimum of 15 minutes, and not more than 20 (or for 2-5 after milk stops flowing).  As for how much you'll get, the average is 1/2 to 2 ounces per session for a breastfeeding mother.  At first, you probably won't get much. Don't sweat that.  Just store it.  It is not an indicator of what you are actually producing.  It will take a few sessions to get even one bottle (which is also true when women who exclusively pump get started) but as you continue to pump (at the same time if you can) you will signal your body to make more milk and will get higher amounts to store.

If you can do an evening pump as well, that will help.  A stretch where your baby is reliably sleeping is good too. 

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"