TTC After a Loss

OPK/Chart/Insemination w/ Donor Sperm Question

Hi all,

Sorry for never introing and asking a (long) question to start off with.  I have mostly only posted on the loss board, but we are in the midst of TTCAL and I confused.

We are a same-sex couple and using donor sperm so timing is really important for us.  We thought we had this down--I had a usual pattern of what happened with the OPKs and my temps always confirm ovulation happened generally the day after my first OPK.  I have always used the wondfos and seen a fade in pattern and then confirmed with a digital.  I have never before had the digital and the wondfo not lined up.  My cervical mucus also usually seems to line up pretty well with what the OPKs and the BBT chart says as well.  (Chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/372b8f)

Well yesterday I was expecting either a positive or near positive based on the fade-in pattern and based on my mucus and sex drive.  Around 10:30am I got a positive wondfo (test line was equally dark--but not darker--the control line), but a negative digital.  That had never happened before and I wasn't sure which to trust.  I searched old posts online and saw some people saying a wondfo isn't *really* positive unless the test line is darker than the control, but that doesn't seem to be what the directions say.  (Although I was thinking that for me I usually get a line that is clearly darker than the control line when I get my surge.)  I tried again in the afternoon and same thing.  I thought maybe I was catching the very beginning of the surge and things would get darker the next day when I was really surging.

Around dinner time I tried again and again a positive wondfo with a test line that looked possibly just a little darker than the control.  I tried the digital again at that time too, but the device just refused to read the stick at all.  I think I took the old stick out and then put the new one in within like 15-30 seconds and the little O stayed on the screen and no flashing stick ever happened.  That was my last digital in the house so I don't know if it would have be + or - had it worked.

The timing with the (frozen) donor sperm is really important because it is thought to live only 12-24 hours after insemination, though some sources say in the best of circumstances it can live longer (I hope so!).  So we have been aiming for inseminating 12 hours after the first + OPK and then ~24 hours after the first + OPK.  Our past insemination cycles, including the one when I got pregnant, bbt confirmed ovulation the day after the first + OPK so that timing should have been pretty good. 

But this time the + wondfo and - digital threw us off.  We did (thankfully) inseminate last night around 10pm, but I was really assuming I would get more + OPKs and probably a + digital today and so be ovulating tomorrow.  So thought of last night's insemination as just a precaution. 

Well I woke up today and my temp had shot up from 96.48 at 6am yesterday to 97.18 at 5:30am today.  I did move around while laying in bed a little bit while taking my temp as I was trying to turn on my phone light to see the thermometer temp and couldn't find it for a bit.  But I don't think 10 seconds of my arm moving around the bed could explain such a temp rise, right?  I went back to (a not very restful) sleep til 7:30am after going to the bathroom and dealing with the dog a little bit and woke up that time to 97.45.  I just peed on another wondfo although I've only held my urine for about 2 hours or less and got a + (control line = dark as test line) just like yesterday.  I think possibly only once ever have I seen a temp over 96.8ish post period but before ovulation.  And this month my post-period temps have been very low--96.3 to 96.8.

So (finally!) my question to all of you--I assume the temp is telling me that I must have ovulated yesterday?  I can't understand why I would have had such a jump in temp otherwise.  So my instinct is to inseminate again ASAP as it takes sperm a good amount of time to even get in position to fertilize an egg, and apparently my egg is probably already there.  Is that what all of you would take all this to mean?  I am just feeling paranoid that what if the high temp is a fluke and my + OPKs continue or get darker later today or tomorrow and we put both vials of sperm in too early.  I know from lurking that usually the answer to such a question is to just keep having sex until it is clear that one ovulated, but obviously that's not an option for us.

Thanks so much for any feedback!

BFP #1 9/21/11. EDD 6/4/12.  Twins discovered at 8 weeks. Twin B lost at 14 weeks due to megacystis.  Alice Joe born and lost 1/5/12 at 18.5 weeks due to pre-term labor.

BFP #2 7/11/12.  EDD 3/23/13.  Ada Alice born 3/20/13.

Re: OPK/Chart/Insemination w/ Donor Sperm Question

• there are a lot of words there..........

Do you have any CM this morning? It certainly looks like you O'de last night so that should be a well timed insemination.  I would inseminate again today if possible though.

You can ovulate anywhere from 12 hours after your first to 48 hours after your last positive OPK. Maybe it's just the end of the surge you caught this morning?

Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • imagekatharine25:

there are a lot of words there..........

Just based on yesterday's cm and temp, as I'm not sure about the temp today I would bet you O'd overnight.

It can't hurt to inseminate this morning just in case 

image★´¯`•.¸¸.°¤TTCAL/PGAL/PAL Welcome,imageare not¤°.¸¸.•´¯`★image
    imageimageimage

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    נשמה שבאה לעולם למספר חודשים לשהות במעי האם, היא נשמת צדיק גמור שבאה לעולם רק לתקן פגם קטן ולאחר מספר חודשים אלו היא שבה למקומה לגן עדן להתענג על ה'. לעתיד לבוא נשמה זו תוכר באחד מבנייך ובזכות נשמת צדיק זה תזכי להיות במחיצת צדיקים
    TTC Since September 2011
    BFP#1:Dec.1.11 EDD:Aug.09.12 MC:Jan.11.12 (9WK5D)-Natural
    BFP#2:Apr.18.12 EDD:Dec.21.12 MC:May.1.12 (6WK3D)-D&C
    BFP#3:Sep.12.12 - Suspected CP | BFP#4:Dec.1.12 - Suspected CP
    BFP#5: Dec.26.12 EDD:Sep.10.13 MC:Jan.7.13 (4WK6D)-Natural
    BFP#6: Jun.11.13 EDD:Feb.23.13 Beta: #1=8000 #2=24532 US@6wk2d showed 7wk2d size with 143BPM HR * NT US@12wk6d looked good. A/S passed with flying colors and our team color is Blue! *Grow my little Pamplemousse*!!!
    pregnancy

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for your responses.  I haven't noticed much EWCM today.  So I also think I O'd last night.  I did get another pack of digital OPKs and got a smile with this morning's urine though my wondfo is exactly as dark as the one's yesterday.  Oh well.

We did inseminate again about an hour ago so we should be good either way if I O'd last night or I'm going to O today.  Tomorrow would not be ideal but I think that's very unlikely given the mucus and the temps. 

Thanks again!  (And sorry for the very long first post.)

BFP #1 9/21/11. EDD 6/4/12.  Twins discovered at 8 weeks. Twin B lost at 14 weeks due to megacystis.  Alice Joe born and lost 1/5/12 at 18.5 weeks due to pre-term labor.

BFP #2 7/11/12.  EDD 3/23/13.  Ada Alice born 3/20/13.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"