Preemies

When did your baby start smiling at you?

Owen is 6 weeks old, 2 days old adjusted. It's hard hearing from moms on the 0-3 board that their little ones are smiling at them. I know it's still early, but I just started realizing this will probably be an adjusted milestone and that makes me sad. Sometimes he will stare at me, but prefers to look at the ceiling. I feel ridiculous worrying about it, but it worries me that he doesn't make eye contact. It seems like the majority of the full term babies are making eye contact and are starting to smile and respond.

12 dpo: HCG = 184 Progesterone = 34
14 dpo: HCG = 529 Progesterone = 24.6
My Blog

Re: When did your baby start smiling at you?

• My boys started smiling at about 6-7 weeks adjusted.  The eye contact developed more over time.  I would not even worry about it if he is only 2 days adjusted.  As hard as it is, try not to compare!

• DrRxDrRx member

My daughter, who was born at 26 weeks, gave me her first official "social" smile about 10 days ago! She was a little over 1 month adjusted.  She had been smiling before that, but it was those internal/content smiles that wasn't in response to use talking to her.  Since she's done that, she does it now a few times a day when she first wakes up and sees us or is just happy and content playing. 

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is 7 weeks, 3 weeks adjusted and hasn't smiled at us yet.  She smiles a lot in her sleep, but not in response to anything.  I agree that it is really hard hearing about babies much younger than her smiling.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrs. Alice:

My boys started smiling at about 6-7 weeks adjusted.  The eye contact developed more over time.  I would not even worry about it if he is only 2 days adjusted.  As hard as it is, try not to compare!

This - it's especially noticeable in the beginning when you have the eternal NB. I tried to stay away from those pages until he was a little older. I don't remember the timeframe for the first intentional smile, but I think it was around 2 mo adjusted. 

• My baby is 7 weeks adjusted. He finally gave us his first real/social smiles last Friday and Saturday (just brief fleeting smiles that were gone as quickly as they appeared).

He didn't smile again until today... this morning I got in his face, determined to see that smile, and I talked to him, smiled, laughed, cooed, made silly sounds, tickled his cheek and lips, etc.

After a few minutes of this, I saw that he was staring down at my smiling mouth and was on the verge of a smile. 

And then it broke through! He smiled and smiled at me for a good minute! (I tried to capture it with my camera but of course the smile was gone by then.) 

I realized that a lot of babies start smiling on their own, but I think you can coax smiles out of them a little sooner if you do what I did and really "work" on it (and even if baby doesn't smile, it's still very sweet bonding time!). BTW, I had tried that before and it didn't work... babies just smile on their own timetable. But I can tell you that when it finally happens, it will rock your world and you will be the proudest Mommy on the planet! Definitely worth the wait! 

eta: Oh gosh, I misread your baby's age (should've looked at your ticker, duh!). I was thinking our baby is 6 weeks adjusted. If your baby is only a couple days old adjusted... that is a newborn! Newborns just don't smile (except in their sleep)! I know it's hard but expecting a 2-day-old to smile is like having an early-term preemie and expecting them to come out ready to breastfeed. I KNOW it's hard... but if I were you, I would focus on the posts by people whose babies are the same gestation age (i.e. newborn -- NOT six weeks old) and don't even open posts about babies who are older. My baby is technically four months old, but if I were to read any posts about full-term 4-month-olds, I'd be depressed out of my mind. Don't even think about what full-term 6-week-olds are doing and try as hard as you can to enjoy this sweet newborn stage! 

Julia ~ six miscarriages ~ our sweet miracle baby, Jack, due 5/3/12, was born at 29w1d on February 17, 2012, weighing 2 pounds 8 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was also very worried about this... My son just started smiling with purpose last week.  Now we can't get him to stop smiling and laughing at us.  :). It felt like forever but it's so cool once it happens.   Give it time, I know it's hard to wait....
  • I would say around 2 months, but she is really smiling now at 3 months old. She's even cooing more too.

• I've really noticed it the last couple of days and actually been able to take pictures and LO is 3 months 1 week.  That puts him at 2 months adjusted.  It's kind of been building up the last couple of weeks, but just now really noticeable
  • He started smiling at me last week. he was 10 weeks actual, 4 weeks adjusted. so dont worry about anything.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • 11 weeks, so right around 6 weeks adjusted.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Aiden started around 6 weeks adjusted....he was born at 30 weeks. 

Now he does it all the time (8 weeks adjusted).

Its hard because he is not like a typical 4 month old but he is incredible and my sweet little miracle! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"