Preemies
Options

What bottles do your preemies use?

Since they've come home they can only handle the cheapo nipples from the ICU, or the Medela nipples that come with the pumping kit. All our other bottles are worthless, they drool everywhere with the Dr Browns, and the Born Free forget it, they are so confused by those.  What do you use? or should I just be patient and eventually they will be able to take any bottle? TIA
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: What bottles do your preemies use?

• Options
    I wanted him to use drop-ins so bad, but he won't take anything wide.  The cheap nipples fit the cheap dollar store bottles.  We found some at Dollar General that are angled and only $1.50 each and the enfamil nipples screw on plus he can use the nipples that came with them.
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member
    We started with the Nuk bottles for the first couple of weeks and then switched to Dr. Browns.  Have you used the Preemie nipple for the Dr. Brown's?
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We use the Dr. Browns bottles. My DD had issues with the Medela and those throw away ones from the NICU (lots of gas). Maybe you need to change the nipple flow on the dr. brown bottles? Or just pick up one or two bottles and see if that works for your girls. Good luck.

• Options
    We use Dr. Browns and they're fine with those.  If they do ok with the Medela nipples, why so eager to have them switch bottles?  Just curious...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had only Playtex drop ins in the house when DD came home. She hated them! We also tried the regular vent aire with no luck. She liked/likes the Nuk so both her and DS have those bottles.
    ttc #1 since 7/10 Dx - PCOS and LPD chemical pregnancy 6/11 IUI #1 9/5 & 9/6 9/19 - BFP, beta #1 149 (15 dpo), beta #1 (17 dpo) 370 1st ultrasound 5 w 6 days -- TWINS!!! It's a boy and a girl! Born April 15, 2012. Baby A - 4 lbs 11 ounces, Baby B - 5 lbs 6 ounces Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Pips09Pips09 member
    We used both the Playtex drop in bottles and the Avent. She did fine with the 0 level flow. Eventually we just used the Avent, the nipple is firmer and she had an easier time with it.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    I didn't know Dr Brown had preemie nipple maybe I'll try that. We only have 3 medelas, but we have a ton of Dr Browns already from our older son. Didnt want to spend a ton more $$ if it was just a patience game.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    We always used medela.  Just so you know...you can use the medela nipples and collars on the dr. browns bottles (in case you have a ton and its cheaper to just by more nipples).    DS used the 70ml storage bottles at first, then switched over to regular medela bottles.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options

Same thing happened to us!  We saved all of DS's Avent bottles, but DD would not take to it at all.  She just didn't get the wide mouth shape or the silicone feel, total gong show. 

We use cheapo Gerber First Essentials with the latex nipple (medium flow).  At first I was miffed that I had to buy new bottles, but they are so inexpensive that it's actually going to be cheaper.  They don't leak at all and vent really well.  The medium flow latex nipple is extremely similar to the throwaway Enfamil standard flow ones-- both in shape and flow.  Some of our small bottles came with slow flow nipples and she got all sorts of confused and pissed at those, so she apparently likes the medium flow ones-- must be easier for her  I think I read in the amazon reviews that the bottles fit on the medela pumps too.

GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We use the Dr. Browns bottles.  We used to use the preemie nipple, but are now starting to add in the level one nipples.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had the same problems with my LO. After trying every bottle out there, I ended up with the cheap evenflo glass bottles they have a very similar nipple to the ones from the NICU and they come in the dif flows. She is now 7 months old and still will not take another type of bottle.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We used the cheap  evenflo glass ones and plastic gerber ones (the nipples are pretty similar).  We used the slow flow nipples that the small bottles came with and when we needed bigger bottles, we used them with the medium flow nipples that they came with.  Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Dr Browns bottles with level 1 nipples
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"