Baby Names

am I missing something? -boy name-

I know I have posted a few time on her about this... but I just dont get it.

We are naming our DS2 Joel Thomas (Thomas is a family name).

When you read Joel what do you think this name is?

Joe-l

or

Jo-ell (like Noelle)

I have had a hand full of friends tell me on FB and text (we moved out of state so we dont all talk very often) he they love the name, its a great pick..whatever. THEN when I talk to them they bring up how they love the name, but it is Joe-l, or Joelle? REALLY??? I thought I picked a straight forward name..humm

Re: am I missing something? -boy name-

• Joe-l, it's a boy's name, why would they even think Jo-elle? It's a great name. 

• The way I pronounce it, Joel rhymes with bowl.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmm

Methinks your friends are idiots.  Why on earth would Joel be pronounced like Joelle?

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Anyone who can't pronounce Joel is an idiot IMO. It's a basic, straightforward name. If you were spelling it Joell or something things might be different, but who doesn't know that Joel=rhymes with bowl?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Do they know that you're having a boy?  Could they be clarifying it because they thought for some reason you were having a girl?
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• It's definitely Joe-l (like bowl). But, I met a Joel in elementary school and had a really hard time saying his name right. I couldn't get my mouth around the "oe" part. I'd say "jewel" "joll" etc. That's really the only thing I'd ever worry about it, it's a very handsome name for a boy, the Joel I had met grew up to be a very handsome man :)

imageimageimage

Married my Best Friend 5/24/09~BFP 8/6/2012~EDD: 4/10/2013~Induced 4/4/2013, Delivered4/5/2013~DX: Type 2 Diabetes(2011)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would say Joe-l but where I teach is a big Hispanic population and it is pronounced Jo-Elle a lot by that community. Perhaps you have a lot of Hispanic Facebook friends?
  • imageReilly626:
    I would say Joe-l but where I teach is a big Hispanic population and it is pronounced Jo-Elle a lot by that community. Perhaps you have a lot of Hispanic Facebook friends?

This is what I was thinking but the person I know who pronounces it like that spells it Johel. He is Hispanic. 

Joel rhymes with bowl.  

Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageTripMomma:
    The way I pronounce it, Joel rhymes with bowl.

This

together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a friend in college who we jokingly referred to as Jo-elle. (his name was Joel).

So...I guess Joel has the teasing potential to become Jo-elle. But that's not how you say it.

• imagelily_721:

imageTripMomma:

This

Same here. I don't see how there are multiple pronunciations of this name. It is a straight forward, solid boy name.  

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Wow, people are really searching if they are trying to make it match Noelle.  I immediately say Joe-L, rhymes with Nole.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagequeenbone:

Hmm

Methinks your friends are idiots.  Why on earth would Joel be pronounced like Joelle?

Agreed 100%

I'd tell them, "yeah, Jo-elle.  Like that famous singer guy Billy Joelle"...But I'm sarcastic & kind of mean :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageTripMomma:

This. And anyone I've ever known named Joel pronounces it this way also. I wouldn't have even thought that it could be pronounced more than one way.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
  • imageTripMomma:

Absolutely this. Great name!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageReilly626:
    I would say Joe-l but where I teach is a big Hispanic population and it is pronounced Jo-Elle a lot by that community. Perhaps you have a lot of Hispanic Facebook friends?

I agree with this. I would say Joel rhymes with bowl also but I had a Hispanic boy on my class this past year who pronounced it like Joelle. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

• It goes both ways for me. Personally, we know two Joe-l's. But as a teacher I've had two Jo-ell's. So usually, I don't know which way to say it. Usually I think Joe-l if they're White and Jo-ell if they're Hispanic.

• Definitely Joel, if you're English speaking people.

I have a friend who is married to a guy named Joel who pronounces it Jo-elle (with a soft J sound). He's French Canadian, though.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Wow, I just read the other responses. Are there really that many people who have never heard Joel pronounced to rhyme with Noelle?

• imageTripMomma:

This. It is a straightforward boy name, your friends are a little slow or they secretly don't like the name and are trying to dissuade you.

BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have always said Joe-l. When I moved to the south I heard people pronounce it Jo-ell, which I thought was strange.

• imageTysMomPlusOne:
    Joe-l, it's a boy's name, why would they even think Jo-elle? It's a great name. 

This. Why would they have trouble with this name? It seems pretty straightforward to me.  

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageg8trkim:
    Wow, I just read the other responses. Are there really that many people who have never heard Joel pronounced to rhyme with Noelle?

No, I haven't. And it doesn't make any sense to me how it would be pronounced like Jo-elle in the Hispanic community.  Following that logic it would be pronounced like Hole or Ho-ale. The J would be soft H sound like in Jaime, Juan, Jose, Jorge, and Javier.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I really tried to sell my DH on the name Noel, but his argument was that it would constantly be mispronounced as Noelle (also as in "The First Noel".  I got his point.  I also tried to align it with Joel because I figured that was even more mainstream than Noel.  I think it is just one of the things you will have to deal with using the name.  FWIW, we are probably going with Isla for a girl and I know we are going to have a lot of pronunciation questions.
  • Do they not know Billy Joel? 

Seriously?

I think you need smarter friends! (j/k!) 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • sesigssesigs member
    Um, I would never pronounce the name Joel as "Jo-elle". I just find that extremely strange ... 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • srgwsrgw member
    That's my H's name. No one has called him Jo-ell except his friends in jest.
  • imageTripMomma:

This. 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ah625ah625 member

imageTripMomma:

Me too. But recently I've learned that different parts of the US pronounce it differently. Not sure why.

• I don't know why people would pronounce that Jo-elle.  I would say Joe-l.  I agree with you- a very straightforward name.  Have they ever heard of Billy Joel?  Not that you are naming your son after him, but he's such a well-known celeb, I would think people would know how to pronounce Joel correctly.  Bizarre!

• SO has a friend from Puerto Rico and his name is prn Jo-ell, but I'm not sure how it's spelled. If I saw this name, I would assume it's Joel rhyming with bowl. 

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • imagequeenbone:

Hmm

Agreed. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic< br >Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagequeenbone:

imageg8trkim:
    Wow, I just read the other responses. Are there really that many people who have never heard Joel pronounced to rhyme with Noelle?

No, I haven't. And it doesn't make any sense to me how it would be pronounced like Jo-elle in the Hispanic community.  Following that logic it would be pronounced like Hole or Ho-ale. The J would be soft H sound like in Jaime, Juan, Jose, Jorge, and Javier.

I think traditionally (like if you lived in a Spanish speaking country or even in a Spanish speaking household) it is said as Ho-elle but the Americanized way is Jo-elle. It's just how it is. I work in a predominately Hispanic school and I've had two students names Joel (Jo-elle) as well as other students I've encountered with this name. It's not uncommon.

But yeah, if I met someone who wasn't Hispanic I would assume it was pronounced like bowl.

• imagequeenbone:

imageg8trkim:

Uh. Ethnocentric, much? Hey, sorry entire culture of people, this white girl doesn't follow your logic so you're gonna have to go ahead and start pronouncing that extremely common ethnic name according to American pronunciation

• tlongtlong member

imageReilly626:

This. I have a friend named Joel (pronounced Joe-l) but his dad's name was also Joel spelled the same but pronounced Jo-elle in the family. They were Hispanic as well.  

Little Dude - Connor Michael 6/8/09
    Angel Face - Mya Brynn 12/9/11
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"