Parenting after a Loss

"my baby" - LONG

so we're back from our road trip to visit DH's family in NY. ?the car ride sucked but the trip itself was good. ?i love DH's family - always have - but there is something about a baby that brings out the weirdness in people.

DH's aunt went absolutely crazy. ?thank God we didn't stay with her. ?(we used to stay with her but our dog doesn't get along with their new dog so we now stay with DH's brother). ?every time we went to her house from wednesday through yesterday she would immediately go to the carseat and go to take him out. ?and she was doing it wrong which annoyed me. ?normally i am one to not speak my mind, especially when it isn't my own family, but this time i did. ?i told her that i would take him out of the seat and a few times i told her to leave him in the seat because he was sleeping. ?she'd get a pouty face but i didn't care. ?she kept telling us that he was going to stay at her house that night and that he was going to stay in NY until we came back for Christmas. ?she'd hold him and tell him that she was going to keep him. ?obviously she was joking but she said it several times and it started getting creepy. ?but the creepiest thing of all was that she kept calling finnegan "my baby". ?we'd get to someone's house (get togethers at different family members houses every day) and she'd say "where's my baby?" or "who is holding my baby" or "it is time for me to hold my baby". ?i have known this woman for 10 years and i love her - i really do. ?but she was really starting to make me uncomfortable. ?it was just kind of creepy. ?she was also totally hoarding him. ?a few times i had to go take him away from her because no one else was able to hold him. ?DH's brother hadn't spent any time with finnegan so i took him away from her so he could hold him. ?she was upset. ?and i took him away so DH's grandparents could hold him. ?WTF?! ?she just turned crazy this trip and i don't think it is going to get any better next time. ?and she's not this crazy old lady that never had kids of her own. ?she has a 28 year old (completely normal) son. ?this all was just creepy to me. ?she was never creepy before - the baby just sent her over the edge!! ?i really may say something to her if she continues to call him "my baby". ?i think she should know she is weirding me out!

Re: "my baby" - LONG

• My MIL & SIL are the same way. It doesn't get better and subtleties don't work either. If it's really gonna bother you, you're gonna have to say something.?
  • Ew.  I don't know what else to say, but that is creepy.
  • Loading the player...
  • my MIL does the same thing. I correct her and she still does it. it's MY baby
  • my MOM does this... she'll ask "how is my baby?" and I'll answer, "well I'm fine and MY baby is great" or when she says "Give her a hug from Mama" - I'll answer "I'll give her a hug from GRANDMAMA"

but..she's not creepy about it and I brush it off.  However your aunt was completely out of line. 

MIL does the wierd baby hogging thing and it drives me nuts...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"