February 2012 Moms

nbr- spent lots of $$ on cat for no answers. . arggg!

So last night my diabetic cat started acting out of sorts and my "mom radar" went off.

Brought him to the emergency vet and turns out he was hypoglycemic (spelling?) meaning his blood sugar was too low, which is odd because the issue was always too high of blood sugar.  So they keep him over night to run a bunch of tests and observe him.  (He is not found of staying at the vet- poor guy).

Anyways- she calls this morning to say they can't find anything wrong with him. .. i.e. no explanation for the drop.  Other than the vet was initally all excited that it might be a simple overdose error because apparently I've been using the wrong type of needles for his insulin for the last 3 year.  No- no overdose, he's been getting dosed with those needles and been getting the same amount so it's not like just yesterday he suddenly got way more insulin than he's used to.

So the solution she gave me was to signicantly drop his dosage and see my regular vet.   (Who has only been seeing my cat for the last year because my normal, favorite vet, left the practice.)  It's better health wise for him to be a little high than run low.

On top of that we're leaving for vacation for the next week and my BIL is cat-sitting for us.  He lived with us and is very capable of giving my cat his meds, but now I'll be still be worried about the cat all week!

My fur-baby is causing me more worry and costing more $$ than my human baby right now!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: nbr- spent lots of $$ on cat for no answers. . arggg!

• Has he lost weight lately? If he had then the same amount of insulin will be tipi high now. Maybe his insulin resistance has decreased? Sorry. That sucks. At least he's ok though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nope hasn't lost weight and is holding steady right around 18 lbs.  (Ha ha- about the same as my son)  He's a big cat anyways, but he is a bit overweight despite any efforts I've made to help him reduce his weight.  (His ideal weight is probably around 14 lbs.)

It's rare but sometimes cats go into diabetes remission or spontasously get better at self-regulating after being treated for a while.  That's what I'm hoping for,

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"