Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Hummus & Ranch dressing?? What's in common?

Both leave a red rash around DD's mouth when she eats them - usually a contact rash from where they both had been before I had a chance to wipe them off. Bad thing is she LOVES both! Do I stop giving it to her? Does this happen w/ your LO's? It doesn't bother her and is gone w/ in minutes...weird.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hummus & Ranch dressing?? What's in common?

• Options
    imagegrlmom16:

Both leave a red rash around DD's mouth when she eats them - usually a contact rash from where they both had been before I had a chance to wipe them off. Bad thing is she LOVES both! Do I stop giving it to her? Does this happen w/ your LO's? It doesn't bother her and is gone w/ in minutes...weird.

I don't know what the common denominator is but it happened with my son and ranch dressing too.  The doctor said it's common and not to worry about it unless he had other signs of it being a real allergy.

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    akayfakayf member
    maybe soybean oil?  or some sort of vegtable oil?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. Sounds like she's not the only one..hate to lose those 2 things, she loves hummus and I can get her to eat just about anything w/ a little ranch on it. Sadly. lol:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    rmrmrmrm member
    if it were me, i'd probably consult a dr before giving it to LO again. I read something interesting the other day that said there is no such thing as a mild allergy because with any allergy there's a chance that the next reaction could always be very serious. i'm sure it's nothing to be alarmed about, but just made me think of that tidbit i had read.
  • Options
    if it were me, I would try making homemade hummus and ranch (NOT from a packet either) to see if that makes a difference, because perhaps it is from a preservative or someyhing else in commercial preparation.
    Charlie: Wowing the Masses with His Adorableness Since March 16, 2011 http://operationicingonthecake.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it is from the acidity of the foods themself and nothing to do with an allergy. Hummus usually has lemon juice(=acidic), ranch has the same or vinegar(=acidic) even apple juice is acidic.Same with tomoatoes. I really don't think it is an allergy. I think it is just their sensitive skin reacting to the acidity. I work in a daycare and I have seen this a LOT. Most toddlers have it with ranch dressing. If your child really enjoys the food, I would suggest putting some vaseline around his mouth (not on his lips, but it is harmless if it does get in his mouth). Just to act as a barrier against his skin.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"