Multiples

Gender question

I know there is no way to really "predict" gender (all those assenine old wives tales, etc). and I will be 100% ecstatic with whatever gender our twins are.

However I did read an article, which of course i can't seem to find again, that said women who have IVF and get pregnant with twins are more like to have boy/girl twins than those who had spontaneous twins or (in my case) ovulation assistance but no procedures. Anyone heard this also? I'm wondering if it's something that was just a statement and not fact.

TTC #1 Since January 2011 Dx: PCOS and Anovulatory April 2012 BFP! Beta 1 5/22 - 1,000+ Beta 2 5/24 - 3,009 1st u/s 6/5 - TWINS!!! A/S Reveals we are Team PURPLE!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image  12/27 - surprise BFP - due August 2014

Re: Gender question

• I've actually read that IVF was more likely to produce boys but I don't remember if it was a reputable source. All of the IVF twins I know IRL are b/g except my own which are 2 boys.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • We did IUIs and I'd heard that the sperm that would produce girls lasts longer than the boy sperm. So depending on the timing of the IUI in relation to ovulation, boys were more likely, if the timing was close, and girls were more likely, if the sperm had to wait around longer. That being said, we had a boy the first time around and I'm pregnant with b/g twins. So, who knows!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRWMomma:
    I read quite a few articles that b/g twins make up half of all twins, g/g twins make up 1/4 of all twins, and b/b make up the other 1/4. So, if they are fraternal then you are more likely to have b/g. Obviously they won't be b/g if they are identical. Also, fraternal twins are much more common then identical. Congrats by the way! 
    Ditto this!
    After 5 TI Clomid cycles, 5 IUIs, and 2 IVFs we finally got our BFP!
    Beta#1 (12dp3dt)= 353, Beta#2 (15dp3dt)= 1466, Beta#3 (22dp3dt)= 14,139, First u/s: TWINS!!
    After 10 weeks of bedrest, our two little ladies joined us at 28w6d
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have no idea! I haven't heard anything one way or the other. For my own experience.... we did IVF (both a fresh cycle and an FET resulting in twins) and both have been successful.

My fresh, 5 day transfer gave us a son. I also had a day 5 transfer for my FET and we are expecting b/g twins.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've read that IVF day 5 transfers are more likely to produce girls, and for us we transferred 1 embryo on day 5 and are preg with ID triplet girls. Congrats to you by the way! And I HATE when I read an article and try to find it later and it's totally wiped off the web. Very frustrating, I know! 
    4/13/12--1st u/s. IDENTICAL TRIPLETS (?!?) PAIF and SAIF welcome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No you are incorrect- with IVF you are most likely to have twin boys. My treatment center told us that. Twin girls are rarer. I was a 5 day transfer and I'm having boy/girl. Ask your doctors.
  • imageMrsLee04:
    Definitely not true about IVF.  Day 5 transfers are more likely to be girls because for some reason girl embryos are more likely to survive to day 5.

That's so funny because out of the 5 embies that made it to Day 5 (2 that we transferred fresh and 3 that were frozen) 4 were boys and 1 was a girl. 

m/c 7/17/10

BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • imageRWMomma:
    I read quite a few articles that b/g twins make up half of all twins, g/g twins make up 1/4 of all twins, and b/b make up the other 1/4. So, if they are fraternal then you are more likely to have b/g. Obviously they won't be b/g if they are identical. Also, fraternal twins are much more common then identical. Congrats by the way! 

This is true based on the rules of probability. Each baby has 50/50 shot of being a certain sex. 50%*50% gives you 25% for b/b or g/g.  

m/c 7/17/10

BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      

• imageRWMomma:

Yup!! Statistically, you have a 50% chance of having a boy or girl with a singleton so it would make sense that with twins 50% of them are b/g. and 1/4 being g/g and the other 1/4 being b/b.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageRWMomma:

This is what I've read in a few places (books and online).

We did IVF 5dt and are expecting two fraternal girls.

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

imageimage
    PAIF and SAIF welcome. IVF questions welcome, too.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • MrsLntMrsLnt member

Spontaneous B/G here. I know some Clomid B/G and some IVF B/G twins. Also know of spontaneous B/B and G/G. And that's just IRL twins that I know, off the top of my head. 

• My twins were spontaneous and are boy/girl. My friend with quads had IUI and had two of each.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • I think in the end you just have go with the theory that every embryo has 50% chance of being a boy and 50% chance of being a girl. 

I did IVF, one implanted early and one implanted late. Does that mean anything, who knows?

I had no m/s - is one a boy?
    I have horrible skin - is on or both a girl?
    B has a higher heart rate than A - is that one a girl?

It's all a crapshoot if you ask me.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"