January 2013 Moms
Options

Bug Spray

I feel like there was a post about this already, but I can't find it :( 

I live in a very buggy area and haven't been able to go outside my house for like a week to do stuff around the house. I wanted to know if anyone had a good bug spray that worked and was safe to use. I've tried just about every organic spray out there and none have worked. I was thinking the Avon Skin So Soft with Picaridin, but wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bug Spray

• Options

When I was pregnant with my first, we lived in a neighborhood where everyone and their cousins let their dogs run loose.  Well because of that we had dogs in our yard ALL THE TIME which in turn put ticks in my yard,,, which in turn gave my dogs ticks when we'd take them potty... so I was out spraying the yard and accidentally sprayed myself  in the face... my husband "who hates pesticides with a passion"  was very concerned about it but I showered  and nothing happened at all... this was a bug spray off the shelf from walmart.. so  as long as you're careful  IMO you should be safe. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    When I was a little girl, I would get eaten up like crazy.  So my mom would alway use the Avon SOS and it really did seem to help.  I didn't like the smell, though.  But it was worth not being as itchy as if I had the chicken pox.  I guess I'm not as sweet any more, or maybe my skin's not as sensitive, because I don't seem to have as bad of a problem any more.  But I do make sure to wear pants and long sleeves if I'm in an outdoorsy area in the evenings.
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My MWs are very adamant about NOT using anything with DEET while pregnant.  Is this probably overly-cautious?  Yeah, probably.  But they are laid back about most things and with my loss history, if they are that strongly opposed to something, I'm going to follow their recommendations.

I have good luck using the same California Baby bug spray that we use on DS.   

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Options
    I saw in a magazine somewhere- maybe Real Simple - that there's a clip-on thing you can wear on your shorts that is like a little fan that repels the bugs. Not sexy, but it's not spraying chemicals on your skin, ya know?
  • Options
    We went camping a few weeks back and will be going again in 2 weeks. I usually get eaten alive but I bought this little thing by OFF that clips on your pants and has a fan it repells bugs. I worked pretty well. I am going to use it again when we go but I am also going to check with my Doctor since I have an appt before hand and see what she suggests as far as bug sprays.
    imageimage BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I tried the California Baby spray and it didn't work for me. I would love to go the organic way, but this is one thing I can't. I totally forgot about the off clip-ons. I'm going to try those before I try a spray. Thanks!
  • Options
    Try All Terrain's "natural herbal armor insect repellent"....deet free, completely natural. Works great for me. You can get it at Whole Foods or Earth Fare. It's about $9.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I went camping last weekend and I used the ThermaCELL clip-on.  It is more expensive than the OFF product, but it is also powered by Butane.  Bugs normally LOVE feasting on me. . . but this stuff really works!  I'm certainly going to continue use after birth.

Also. . . I use SSS products as these were OB approved.  For those times when the clip-on wasn't perfect. . . on the river, IN the river. . =)

Good luck!

Suzi - spitfirebabies.blogspot.com
  • Options

I asked my doctor about this since we hike in a wooded area. I was told that bug spray is fine, just use in a ventilated area (duh) and shower as soon as you can.

I also read something about the risks from getting bug bites are worse than the spray. Not sure if it's true though. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My family and I have always made our own bug spray with witch hazel, citronella oil, tea tree oil, and lemongrass. I've never had any problems with it working.
    Lilypie - (KUub)  Lilypie - (x7FR)

Daisypath - (cVUA)   Daisypath - (CnD8)

• Options

My obgyn said that anything with out DEET is ok to use. she even suggested one of the OFF clip-on and also the OFF children bug repellent. 

• Options
    My doctor told me today bugspay is safe to use and to use it if I needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"