Baby Names

DH asked to NOT talk about names

I probably should be very happy that DH is being very up front (but in a very sweet way) about this, although I'm disappointed and the waiting is going to kill me. I wanted to talk names last night and he said "I love you and I promise, we WILL find a name, but I'm having a really hard time trying to name someone I've never met. Do you think we could wait to talk about this until you're further along, when it's a little more real for us both?" 

Very sweet, but now I have to wait! Ugh! I agreed and said that in return he had to review my list of favorites when we do start talking names and give every single name some thought and consideration. No rejecting something out of hand with "I don't like it. Because I don't like it." He said fair is fair, as long as I consider Derrick (after Derrick Rose from the Bulls) for a boy. Blech. I guess I'll think about it. I've got the time now. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DH asked to NOT talk about names

• If you really are only three weeks pregnant (that's super early to find out), you have lots and lots of time to figure out a name.  No need to push the topic now.  I'm almost 29 weeks pregnant.  We have no idea of any names that we like and I'm not worried.  It all works out.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • I love talking about names, and still do - even though my youngest is four weeks old. I understand you wanting to talk names. This board is great for getting your name discussion fix. You can posts lists here and get and give feedback.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I would wait on naming until you've confirmed the pg with your OBGYN and made it past the first 9 or 10 weeks.

I don't want to seem callous or mean at all, but I speak from experience here.  You are still in a stage where m/c is a lurking threat.  If you name this baby your "favorite" name and have a m/c, you will never be able to use that favorite name for a child who is destined to be larger than a poppy seed.

M/c is never easy; don't make it harder on yourself, should that be in your future. 

Also, a first pregnancy can be a real mind-bender for the dad to be.  Give him some time.  He's being a great sport to be gentle with you about this. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Now you have time to think up a colossal list of names!  I don't think it's ever to early to think of names.  We has ours picked out years before we were engaged or married or pregnant.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• imageneverblushed:

I would wait on naming until you've confirmed the pg with your OBGYN and made it past the first 9 or 10 weeks.

I don't want to seem callous or mean at all, but I speak from experience here.  You are still in a stage where m/c is a lurking threat.  If you name this baby your "favorite" name and have a m/c, you will never be able to use that favorite name for a child who is destined to be larger than a poppy seed.

M/c is never easy; don't make it harder on yourself, should that be in your future. 

Also, a first pregnancy can be a real mind-bender for the dad to be.  Give him some time.  He's being a great sport to be gentle with you about this. 

This is all great advice.  It is common for men to need some time to adjust to the idea of being a parent.  At this point, he has not had a chance to see the baby or hear the h/b so it might be harder for him to connect with this child than it is for you.  In the mean time, this is a great place to come to discuss names! 

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• imageneverblushed:

That is how I feel about it. Actually, I don't even really want to talk about names until right before our babies are born and I don't want to actually name them until after they are born.

We talked about names when I wasn't pregnant so we already have a very good idea of what we'd prefer. We don't need to discuss it right now.
    Missed m/c found @ 10 weeks - May 2010
    Missed m/c found @ 10.5 weeks - August 2012
  • imageAbbieAdams:

I probably should be very happy that DH is being very up front (but in a very sweet way) about this, although I'm disappointed and the waiting is going to kill me. I wanted to talk names last night and he said "I love you and I promise, we WILL find a name, but I'm having a really hard time trying to name someone I've never met. Do you think we could wait to talk about this until you're further along, when it's a little more real for us both?" 

Very sweet, but now I have to wait! Ugh! I agreed and said that in return he had to review my list of favorites when we do start talking names and give every single name some thought and consideration. No rejecting something out of hand with "I don't like it. Because I don't like it." He said fair is fair, as long as I consider Derrick (after Derrick Rose from the Bulls) for a boy. Blech. I guess I'll think about it. I've got the time now. 

You are only 3 weeks pregnant? I'd be annoyed too if I were your H. Also great advice by PP, you should wait until the 2nd trimester. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• I'm convinced that the human gestation period is 9 months because it takes the dads that long to get on board with the idea that their child is coming, regardless of how planned the pregnancy was or how long your journey to conceive. My DH threw out joke names my entire 1st pregnancy and we went into the hospital with a spread sheet but no idea what the name would be.

I am a little offended by the PP implying that you shouldn't talk names yet because you may have a m/c.  I think that is rude as hell.   I found out I was pregnant with DS2 when I was 3 weeks.  I didn't m/c. You have every right to be excited for your BFP and look forward to picking names.  People want to discuss hypothetical names on here all the time and people seldom jump down their throats for being premature.

Congratulations, and please use this board as an outlet until your DH is ready.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imagestahlop:
    Now you have time to think up a colossal list of names!  I don't think it's ever to early to think of names.

This 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not liking a name is a legitimate reason to reject it, in my opinion.  What kind of reasons do you find acceptable?  Poor guy, I can understand why he doesn't want to talk about it with you.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • sesigssesigs member
    My DH and I finally agreed to stop talking names until after we find out the sex. We were going back and forth and, at times I think, hurting feelings when we shot down names that we decided only having to choosing a name for one sex would make things a little easier! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • You're three weeks and one day pregnant... no wonder he doesn't want to talk about it. You probably haven't even been to the OB yet.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • I get that you're excited- but he's totally right.

I'm so glad DH and I had names picked out before we even got pregnant so that this wasn't an issue because i would have driven him up the wall.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • My hubby kept playing the until you're farther omg card. We went into L&D with no name. Finally named our son 5 minutes before we had to leave the hospital. Talk about stress! Don't let this happen to you. Put your foot down and tell h you're having the discussion or else. I'm doing that next time around for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"