February 2012 Moms
Options

Baby Food Making

Hi,

I think we might start solids in the next month or so. Do any of you make your own baby food?  If so, what equipment do you need/recommend?  Any favorite recipes etc?

TIA!

Re: Baby Food Making

• Options

Your DS is adorable, btw.

We do, I have a Baby Bullet that we got as a baby gift, but I think any food processor would work just fine. You also need some sort of storage in the freezer. Some people freeze them in ice cube trays, then package them in ziplocs, I love those BRU freezer tray things. We also have some plain old rubbermaid tupperware kind of things that hold about 3 ounces that work really well.

See this website for good tips and "recipes" www.wholesomebabyfood.com

Really, at this age most of it is baking, boiling or steaming the veggies or fruit and then pureeing it with some water. HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagepennyandandy:

Your DS is adorable, btw.

We do, I have a Baby Bullet that we got as a baby gift, but I think any food processor would work just fine. You also need some sort of storage in the freezer. Some people freeze them in ice cube trays, then package them in ziplocs, I love those BRU freezer tray things. We also have some plain old rubbermaid tupperware kind of things that hold about 3 ounces that work really well.

See this website for good tips and "recipes" www.wholesomebabyfood.com

Really, at this age most of it is baking, boiling or steaming the veggies or fruit and then pureeing it with some water. HTH!

All of this. I LOVE my baby bullet and think it's worth the money, but I get side-eyed for it because any real food processor does work. Even if you don't get the Baby bullet - I'd recommend getting their cook book. It gives you recipes and guidelines all the way to the age of 3 I believe. 

January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second wholesomebabyfood.com  They have good info. I have a stick blender, and a boiler pot and that's all I've needed so far. Granted, I've only made avocado, banana, peaches and sweet potato, but it's been pretty simple. I freeze mine in ice cube trays and put them in ziplocs with the date.
  • Options

Everything the PP's said. I bought frozen bags of carrots, string beans and peas at my supermarket. I cooked them according to the directions and then pureed them with my Cuisinart. Poured them into the ice cube trays and popped them into freezer bags once they were set. All in all it only took me a few minutes. So easy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I buy fresh veggies, toss them in my steamer and then throw in the blender until they're the right consistency. I freeze in ice cube trays, then store in freezer bags.

If you do a bunch at once, it's really not hard. I love it!  

Son #1: 12.27.08 (6 years)
    Son #2: 02.06.12 (2.5 yrs)
    Baby #3 due: 02.10.15 (It's a girl!)
    GD with all three pregnancies

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"