Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Please tell me it gets easier once they turn 4...

Ever since he turned 3 DS has gone from a pleasant, sweet boy to a non-listening tantrum throwing maniac! I've always heard that the "terrible twos" don't hit until they're 3 so I was expecting this but oy...I may not make it through this year. Please someone tell me at some point my sweet kid will come back to me!!

Re: Please tell me it gets easier once they turn 4...

• Options
    la79alla79al member
    I've heard 4 is better and I'm still waiting.  I think the sweet innocent child is probably gone forever.  The best I am hoping for is someone that can compromise and accept the word 'no'. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Nope. I'm hoping 5 is better!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PaigeoPaigeo member
    Knock on wood but yes for us so far 4 has been much better!  We still occasionally have moments but she doesn't seem to meltdown over tiny things anymore.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Both the intensity amd frequency of meltdowns have diminished for DS. In some cases, they have been replaced by weird self defeating declarations--if you won't.read that story to me, well, I just won't ever ask you to read any books ever again!--and a penchant for sulking and announcing that he is mad at you, but I find all of these much easier to deal with.
  • Options
    I hope so!  DS isn't very "likeable" right now.  I love him to pieces, but dang!  Grouchy, moody and irrational about everything.  My bestie said 4 and 5 were the golden years! 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options

Since age 2 every year has gotten better for my DD...we have had a couple of blimps lately but there have been a lot of changes...I think the same stands for my son though he is harder (in some ways) than DD ever was....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our 2's,3's,and 4's were great. It was untill I got pregnant and so far yr 5 has been rocky. I am hoping once baby comes and she realizes mommy isnt going anywhere she's go back to my independent 'no crying over a lost back of earring' big girl. We'll see.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    4's been pretty good to us in comparison.  He still is whiney and throws tantrums, but he's not the huge PITA he was at 3.  Everyone talks about the terrible 2's, nobody warns you about the 3's.
  • Options
    So basically there may be a glimmer of hope...I'll take it!

• Options
    Yes, and then it gets worse again.  As they get closer to 5, they get ino another "I want to get my way all the time" phase.  And, they get sassy.  It's super fun!
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    I seem to have a mixture of all of yours. My DD is 3 1/2 and she has the complete meltdowns, but is also very into telling me she is mad at me and why when she is. It normally is something like you made me go to bed or eat something. I am hoping that it all disapears at 4. She does seem to get better since she knows she is getting a little sister.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    KL777KL777 member
    4 is better than 3 but 4 is still rough.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    Do you want me to lie?? Seriously, 3 was worse than 2 and then it smoothed out. She's about to be 4 and WOW. That's all I can say. I think it has to do with the fact that we have baby #2 on the way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We never really had the terrible 2's for DS, but we did have the terrible 3's for sure (I was not prepared for it, I thought we lucked out of the 2's), and then something miraculous happened right around four, for the most part we have our sweet son back. 
  • Options

Nope. I think 4 has been harder so far....not in all ways. But the tantrums....YIKES! I think that 3.5 was hard...then it smoothed out until he turned 4. Now we're in a rocky phase again, but I'm sure this phase will smooth out soon as well.

It seems like the half ages and then right around birthday is rough for him. Must be some sort of developmental stuff going on...that's my guess anyhow.

I think every age is hard in its own ways. Once I had a 2 year old figured out....he turned 3. Once we had 3 under control....he turned 4. The major things I've noticed about 4 is an increase in his determination to have things exactly how he wants. He's even more particular about which car his brother plays with, etc. He is getting bossier at the playground as well.

Unfortunately, it can make getting out of the house in the morning a bit harder. He needs exactly the right shirt, shorts, underwear, socks and shoes. Seriously, he will ask for a specific pair of undies if he can't find them in the drawer....not good if they are in the wash!

But good luck....the sweet kid is still in there, just keep reminding yourself. He'll peek out soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Totally depends on the kid.  DD#1 has always been an easier kid even with her ADHD and speech delays - she has tantrums and then its over and you move on.  She is a pleaser.  My 4 year old (March b-day) is super stubburn and never forgets anything.  She knows what she wants and does whatever it takes until she can get it and often, it doesn't end the way she wants!!!  She can be hard but she is easier in other ways than her sister - she is a smart cookie and uses it for both good and bad.  Just very different personalites and with every age, they have gone through it very differently.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options

Mom of older kiddos here!

It does get better.  A 3 year old is a preschooler in terms of physical and cognitive development but still has much in common with the toddler set in terms of emotional and social development.  

For my DD, the 2s were "terrible." Seriously, she said "no" more than any child I've ever dealt with, before or since.  My son, on the other hand, was a pleasant, adorable 2 year old.  He transformed into an obnoxious, anxious, freaky, negative, defiant mess at age 3.  By age 4 he was a pleasant, adorable child again. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    It gets easier.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

imagePaigeo:
    Knock on wood but yes for us so far 4 has been much better!  We still occasionally have moments but she doesn't seem to meltdown over tiny things anymore.

Same here! BUT I think it has to do with getting ds into a center daycare/preschool where it's VERY structured 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"