Pre-School and Daycare

PSA: Don't let your kids ride on the outside of shopping carts

I had been allowing DS1 to ride on the outside of our shopping cart lately, but never will again.  Yesterday, I literally turned away from the cart for 2-3 seconds to grab french fries out of the freezer and the entire cart was suddenly tipped over on DS1, with DS2 strapped in the seat.  In talking to DS about it later, it seems as though he was standing on the side, then stepped back off of it while holding on, which pulled it over.  DS2's head was against the ground, so he had clearly hit his head and DS1 was trapped underneath the cart.  A woman came running over to help and I quickly paid (luckily, our grocery store has scanners that you use to scan all your groceries as you go, so I just had to pay!), so I could get to our pediatrician.  DS1 has a bruised and sore leg and DS2 has a small bump and bruise on the side of his head, but was acting normal after his nap.  It was awful and I felt worse and worse about it as the day went on because I kept replaying it over in my mind.  I had DS1 strapped in and have no idea what would have happened if he wasn't strapped in, but I'm sure he would have fallen out. 

Since it happened, I'm hearing from lots of people that they always allow their kids to do the same thing, so I wanted to share this story so others are aware of the danger of it.  I don't think I would have thought that I could tip it like that, let alone my 4 year old son.  Even if he yanked on it, I would never have thought he would be strong enough to tip it.

Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
Currently TTC Baby #3

Re: PSA: Don't let your kids ride on the outside of shopping carts

• AZ123AZ123 member

I'm glad your kids are okay but please don't beat yourself up about it. My friend was just pushing the cart to the car with her child in the cart and somehow hit a bump and the whole thing tipped and then fell over!
    It sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for posting this! As a kid I always rode on the end of the cart.. I've actually encouraged DS to do this because he hates riding in the seat now. I never considered that it could tip over. Totally not your fault- who would have thought?

And d@mn I want a grocery store that lets you scan as you go!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • I am so glad the kids are OK.  A friend of ours daughter was holding onto the handle part, sort of hanging/putting her feet on the lower part of the cart - in the front near where you push the cart, and slipped and dislocated her shoulder about a year ago when she was 4, almost 5.  Things happen and you live and learn.  Just glad everyone is OK.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • CD+ALCD+AL member
    When I was a kid, I had REALLY long hair.  Probably out of desperation to get in and out of the store quickly, my mom let me ride under the basket of the cart (or maybe I climbed on there without asking...I really have no idea...that actually makes more sense really).  Anyway, my hair ended up getting wrapped around one of the wheels of the cart, pulled my head down and smacked it against the cart very hard, and they had to cut my hair to get me out.  I was pretty young, and I can remember a lot of it.  Shopping carts are really pretty dangerous.  Glad everyone is ok.

• imageAZ123:

I'm glad your kids are okay but please don't beat yourself up about it. My friend was just pushing the cart to the car with her child in the cart and somehow hit a bump and the whole thing tipped and then fell over!
    It sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

This happened to me too in the parking lot just 3 feet from my car.  The front wheel hit a pothole that was small enough for me to not see, but deep enough for the front wheel to sink into.  Both kids tumbled out head first because I was pushing the cart fast enough for it to tip upwards when it hit the pothole.  They were okay...DD got a few deep abrasions on her face because DS was behind her and kind of pushed her out and landed on her on his way out.  I now push the cart at a snail's pace when I'm in the parking lot. 

I'm glad everyone is okay.  I replayed the scene over and over again...but it was an accident, even though I still cringe every time I pass that spot.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Wow, thanks for posting this.  I always obsess over keeping them strapped in the front and sitting in the back, but I have never thought of this.  I am SO glad they are okay!  Scary stuff. 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • imagecmeon_the_water:
    imageCourt0026:
    Wow, thanks for posting this.  I always obsess over keeping them strapped in the front and sitting in the back, but I have never thought of this.  I am SO glad they are okay!  Scary stuff. 
    Your children shouldn't be sitting in the basket, either- doesn't anyone read the 8 billion warnings on shopping carts? :) I'm so glad your little boys are okay- and it's great that you shared. We all do make mistakes- it sucks when it's something so scary and when your kids get hurt! But, do let it go- you learned, he learned, no body was permanently damaged- yay! :)

What the bloody he11 are you supposed to do with them then? haha 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly, I'm really surprised so many did not realize this wasnt safe.  I'm always telling my older one to not stand on the end of the cart.  That just looks like accident waiting to happen. 

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • The exactly same thing happened to me in Trader Joe's.  So scary and embarrassing.  I'm glad your kids are okay :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That must have been so scary for all involved!  Good thing everything turned out ok.

Yes, I agree do not let them ride on the outside of the shopping cart!  I mean sometime yeah the LO will try to hop on but I stop the cart immed and make her get off.

When I was young I had a bad experience reguarding this same topic.  I jumped on the front of the cart and someone ran into me and I hit my front teeth on the metal cart, hurt my arm and I think my leg.  Anyway, there was blood and lots of crying. I guess the idiot that hit me should have been watching out but the moral of the story is that unexpected things happen and the shopping cart is NOT a toy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Another PSA -  I always grab DS out of the front basket, turn the car on and strap him in before I start loading any of the groceries. When I was little I was walking to the car with my mom and saw an old lady hit someones cart in the parking lot. Thankfully there were no children in the cart but I remeber milk and food spilling all over the parking lot. It has always stuck with me, even before I had DS I would cringe when I saw a child in the cart while the parent was busy loading the car.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • imageKZBurnworth:
    Another PSA -  I always grab DS out of the front basket, turn the car on and strap him in before I start loading any of the groceries. When I was little I was walking to the car with my mom and saw an old lady hit someones cart in the parking lot. Thankfully there were no children in the cart but I remeber milk and food spilling all over the parking lot. It has always stuck with me, even before I had DS I would cringe when I saw a child in the cart while the parent was busy loading the car.

While this is usually what I do (put my kids in the car, then the food) an old lady could run her car into anyone at any time in any location.  I don't think it makes anyone safer.  In fact, most people now will put the food in the car, return the cart to the coral, and then take their kid out so they aren't left in the car alone.  I really think both ways are fine and again - anyone could hit anyone at any time.  I could walk out my front door and get robbed, but I still take that *risk* each day. 

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • imageKZBurnworth:
    Another PSA -  I always grab DS out of the front basket, turn the car on and strap him in before I start loading any of the groceries. When I was little I was walking to the car with my mom and saw an old lady hit someones cart in the parking lot. Thankfully there were no children in the cart but I remeber milk and food spilling all over the parking lot. It has always stuck with me, even before I had DS I would cringe when I saw a child in the cart while the parent was busy loading the car.

This happened to me yesterday! I put DD2 in the car, then DD1. I was walking back around to the rear of my car when the lady beside me backed into my cart. Luckily O was able to keep it from falling all the way over, but it really freaked me out and I was so glad that I had just got the girls out! 

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"