Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Not sleeping through the night and won't take good naps.

I have an almost 1 year old. She has been sleeping through the night since she was about 4 months old. But here recently she won't sleep through the night. Every night for the last couple days she has been going to sleep just fine but she will wake up a few hours later screaming her head off. I do our normal bedtime routine (bath, bottle, bed). I thought she was teething so I started giving her a little b+it of Orajel before I would feed her. She will sleep for about 4 hours sometimes less, then she is up screaming. So I will give her a little more Orajel and try to get her to go back to sleep but as soon as I get her calmed down and she seems like she is sleeping I lay her down and she starts freaking out. So have been having to give her another bottle to get her to go to sleep. I even tried putting a radio in her room thinking that it was too quiet in there, because when we were on vacation a week ago we had a tv on so that it would drowned out the noise from the other people around us. And she slept all night while we were gone but as soon as we got home she started not sleeping. shew doesn't have a fever and she doesn't go back to the doctors for another 2 weeks. She has been pulling on her ears a little bit but she always does that when shes tired.

She also will not take good naps. She used to sleep for about an hour at a time for her naps. But now I am lucky to get her to nap for 15 minutes sometimes.

I don't know what I should do. I need some advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Not sleeping through the night and won't take good naps.

• Options
    We use a sound machine every night.  Do you think she's going to bed too late and too tired?  When our LO is over tired he will sometimes wake within 2-3 hrs with what appears to be a night terror.  Do you offer a snack before bed?  We are not in a rush to potty train at this point so LO gets a small snack (if dinner was early) and drinks milk before bed (we brush his teeth after).

• Options

imageblondie42107:
    Do you think she's going to bed too late and too tired?  When our LO is over tired he will sometimes wake within 2-3 hrs with what appears to be a night terror.  Do you offer a snack before bed?  We are not in a rush to potty train at this point so LO gets a small snack (if dinner was early) and drinks milk before bed (we brush his teeth after).

I agree with this. You may try putting her to bed 1/2 hour earlier. Or try the bedtime snack thing.

It may be that she is really getting some big teeth coming in at this age, and will need more than gel on her gums. I highly suggest using infant's advil or motrin (it is longer lasting than infant tylonol) and then also a topical pain reliever on her gums. I use the little pellets that dissolve in water and rub it on DD's gums. She usually fusses when I'm putting it on her, but then she feels so relieved. I don't generally like giving DD medicine, but I think in some cases you really have to. Especially if it is interfering with sleeping or eating.

The other thing is that my DD usually always had an ear infection coinciding with the emergence of her large teeth (molars, eye teeth, etc). It couldn't hurt to have her ears checked if she is persistently pulling on them. She might only pull on them when she's tired because that is when they hurt the most.

Just a few things to check out. Good luck! 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you willing to try something that works longer than orajel?  We had a no results with orajel and just use Tylenol (store brand) and teething tablets. It honestly sounds like either teething or an ear infection since she has a hard time laying down for naps and bedtime and is pulling at her ears. Also if the bottle comforts her back to sleep, I bet it's the sucking giving comfort. When DS's teething flares up he will suck on an empty bottle for comfort. 
  • Options
    dymynddymynd member

Thank you for the advice. I will try the advil I have some I just never thought of giving it to her. I will also have to try the teething tablets sometime. I will give her ped a call today and see what they say.

She goes down ok, but when she wakes up she seems like she had a nightmare. She ahs all of her front teeth. I kind of figured it was bigger teeth. I put her to bed no later than 8:30. Its still day light out when I put her to bed. When we were on vacation she stayed up a lot later, but slept until 7:30 -8:00. But now I'm like to get her to sleep past 6:00. She will usually nap around 10 am and then again at 3 pm, then she gets a bath at 7:30. Then a bottle around 8 or a little after.

• Options
    I would put $$ on an ear infection.

• Options
    If not ear or teeth related, Id look into food allergies/intolerances...does she have a red ring around her anus?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"