Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

almost 16 month old not talking

I'm concerned about my son not talking like others do. He has no spoken words and doesn't make many sounds other than screaming when he's unhappy.  He doesn't hardly babble or never imitates sounds.  My son also can't follow when I point.  He did start pointing at 11 months, but I don't think he still understands what he's doing.  He can follow directions very well.  Anyone else have a child like this?

Re: almost 16 month old not talking

• DS was somewhat in the same boat... although he could say mama, dadda, and bella. He didn't walk until 17.5 months (the day before his early intervention eval), he qualified for speech intervention, but as a teacher I held off because I thought I would be able to work with him and monitor him, and we could add the service if he wasn't progressing. Once he completed that big milestone of walking his language increased quickly. My advice would be to call your pedi and ask about early intervention in your area. They will come do an eval and give you more information... if your son qualifies they will send someone to work on speech and whatever else he needs -- it's usually free, or very minimal cost until age 3, and then they qualify for services within the public school system. It could be nothing, or it could be something... early intervention is a great resource though because the sooner a kid gets help, the sooner they "catch up". GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In the meantime you can really push making him communicate. If he's yelling and you know he's thirsty say the word "cup", show him the cup and say "cup" again, give him a minute and see if he makes a noise, if he does give him the cup, if he doesn't say "cup" again and give him the cup... the next day wait longer for him to make a noise, even if he isn't saying the word. Say words for everything you do with him, when you pick him up say "up", when you give him something name the object, etc.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you discussed it with his pedi?

If you haven't already I would discuss it with his pedi and see what he says.  You could also call your local EI/Birth to Three program and request an evaluation.  They will come to your home and evaluate your child in the 5 main developmental areas and is he scores low enough in any one or more areas who would qualify for services to help him catch up.

On average they expect a child to have 5-10 words by 15 months old.  That being said a lot of kids don't have that many words by 15 months and are just late talkers - which is ok.  What's more concerning to me is that you say he also doesn't make many sounds or babbles and at this age babbling should be pretty constant.  There may not be an issues here and he may just be a late talker but if there is an issues that needs to be addressed, early intervention at this age is really important.  I would definitely call your pedi and discuss it with him. 

imageimageimageimage
  • My DD only had one word at 16 months. It was "more" but she really said it like "morrrrrrr" and it was a real push to get her to say that one word. She now talks full sentences. I found sign language to REALLY help with the screaming and the words followed soon after. 

I would talk to the pedi and you can always go for an Occupational therapy evaluation. Early intervention is free (in most states) up until age 3 even if your health care covers it.

we did food therapy for food aversion due to severe reflux and saw HUGE results in only a few sessions. If he isn't babbling or imitating sounds I would at least get a professional opinion by an occupational therapist. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I posted about this yesterday, only my son is 18 months.  You should look up the post because I got a lot of really good comments.  I think the topic was something like "Pedi is concerned that my 18 month old isn't talking."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son didnt really say any words @ 16 months, but by 18 months he was saying over 70 words and before he turned two he was saying 5 word sentences on a reg basis.  We did baby signs & used them to communicate in the interim,
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"