June 2011 Moms

? for the dentists

I know there are a couple bumpies in the dental field- I'm hoping for some advice.

Maya got her two bottom, front teeth a few months ago and they were her only teeth until a few weeks ago when the top 2 front teeth started coming in together.  They are about halfway down.  I've noticed that M seems to have a bit of an underbite- her 2 bottom teeth end up in front of her top teeth when she bites down.

I mentioned it to her pedi today, hoping for her to tell me it was normal for babies and would fix itself as more teeth came in (wishful thinking, right?).  Well, she gave me a card for a pediatric dentist and told me to see him.  

Is there anything that can be done for this?  Can you shed any more light on this?  I do plan to take her to the dentist, but I have to check with my insurance first to make sure she's covered.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ? for the dentists

• At this point I wouldn't be concerned. Some kids just do that and it's hard to tell anything with only a few teeth in the mouth. And even if she does have an "underbite" there's not much you can do until she's a little older. I'd still recommend going to the dentist for an exam but don't worry too much right now!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagecassoppea:
    At this point I wouldn't be concerned. Some kids just do that and it's hard to tell anything with only a few teeth in the mouth. And even if she does have an "underbite" there's not much you can do until she's a little older. I'd still recommend going to the dentist for an exam but don't worry too much right now!

Cassoppea. When do you Recommend going for the first exam? My dd has 5 teeth.

• Loading the player...
  • AAPD, ADA and AAP all recommend by 1 year. So I would say you can bring her now.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagecassoppea:
    AAPD, ADA and AAP all recommend by 1 year. So I would say you can bring her now.
    a

*jumping back in after being gone for a long time*gulp*

My SIL just finished dental hygiene school and says the main reason dental assocs. rec by 1 year is really just mainly for educating the parents on good oral hygiene. She says that because we are doing well with Liv's oral care now, she says she doubts there would be much to get out of a dental visit now. Is that true? WDYT? We are taking her in at 18 months. She has 8 teeth now and they are huge! Like bugs bunny's! lol  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"