High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Gestational Diabetes

Looks like I now have another bump board to join! I'm in the first couple days of trying to change my diet around and monitor my blood sugar for gestational diabetes. I ate pretty healthy before but I didn't worry about carbs or portion size like this so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to figure out what I can eat for meals and snacks. Anyone else have GD and know of a good website or have a few favorite snacks/meals they can share? 
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Gestational Diabetes

• Options
    It will get easier as you get used to it. I was really overwhelmed at first too. It seems everyone's body handles sugars differently, but the general rule is to eat protein at every meal/snack and to try to stick to whole grains instead of white. I find that I can tolerate fruits like watermelon and cherries for morning and afternoon snacks, and also with dinner. I can also have a cup of ice cream for my afternoon snack or night snack. Protein bars are good options, and crackers and cheese. My lunch is usually a big salad of baby spinach with vegetables, raisins and almonds with light ranch dressing and whole grain crackers with a nice quality cheese. You'll find what works for you-I was really scared to try new things once I found foods that worked, but now I'm more adventurous.
  • Options
    jw87jw87 member
    sparkpeople.com

They are amazing!  I track my diet everyday there, you can manually enter food's nutritional info (and save it and add it to your "favorites") and you can also search their database. 

They have a diabetes program too so you can fit it to suit you and your goals.  (Except you cannot change their carbs/fats/protein goals... but you should know yours from your nutritionist and theirs is pretty similar, but I found a bit higher).  I was personally told 15 carbs for snacks, 60 for lunch and dinner and I try to keep mine around 30 for breakfast.  And make sure you do not eat at least two hours between meals & snacks. 

I have learned sooo much from that website and kept track of everything soo easily! 

I have been on the new diet for about a week now and have kept my numbers right where they need to be.  You can do it!

Edit: I also eat a LOT of protein.  Like at least half of my carb's number I try to eat in protein, so if I eat 30 carbs, I make sure to eat 15 of protein. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My GD consists of watching my carbs--I get up to 30g for breakfast, 40-50 for other meals, 15-20 for snacks. I'm eating only high fiber, whole grain carbs. I always eat my carbs with a side of protein. I eat every 2-3 hours and drink a ton of water. An average day for me looks like this:

Breakfast: Greek yogurt with bran buds and a few blueberries OR hi fiber English Muffin with low sugar peanut butter OR scrambled eggs with black beans and salsa

Snack: apple with baby bel cheese or with some almonds

Lunch: Salad, soup, chicken salad on wasa crackers OR Lean cuisine meal (watch the carbs) with additional vegetables

Snack: steamed edamame or fruit smoothie made with almond milk

Dinner: bare burrito bowl (no tortilla) with guac for good fat OR grilled meat and vegetables with a fiber one brownie for dessert

Bedtime snack: Kind bar (I love those things) or sugar free pudding

The website for the magazine Diabetic Living is pretty great on recipes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"