June 2011 Moms
Options

12 month vaccinations

Someone told me yesterday that 2 of the vaccines that are given at 12 months are live vaccines, and make babies sicker than other vaccines.

Does anyone have more info on this? Also, how did your LOs react to the 12 month shots? Clara has gotten sick and fevers each time she gets vaccines so now I'm super nervous about how she'll react to this next bunch. Was your baby's reaction to the 12 month shots the same or different from previous reactions?

As always, thank you ladies for your helpful input! Hope you all are having a good Friday! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 12 month vaccinations

• Options
    M didn't have any reaction to the 12 month vaccines, but she's never had a problem with any of the vaccines so far *knock on wood* 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We are doing a modified vaccine schedule, but DS got two shots at his 12 month appointment. He got the 4th and final Prevnar and his 2nd Polio. The nurse said that babies who have a rough time with their first prevnar generally have a rough time with their 4th. We have been lucky enough to not have any serious reactions with any vaccines, but I've always said that if we did have a bad experience we would refuse that vaccine in the future. 

Maybe you could talk to your doctor about spacing them out even more? Perhaps do one shot at the visit and return in a month or so for the second.

Trust your gut. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the 2 live vaccines are MMR and chicken pox (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) and my dr. didn't do those, she recommended getting them at 15 months. But she said we could get them if we wanted to. I think some people have posted about some rashes appearing from those two, but nothing serious.
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Options
    DS has always had a mild reaction to vaccines (low grade fever for a day, a little fussiness, etc) and we've always given Tylenol right after the shots. For his 12m shots, he had zero reaction and we didn't even bother with Tylenol. I think it's going to vary kid to kid.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options
    nfrtnynfrtny member

imageDaisyJanie:
    I think the 2 live vaccines are MMR and chicken pox (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) and my dr. didn't do those, she recommended getting them at 15 months. But she said we could get them if we wanted to. I think some people have posted about some rashes appearing from those two, but nothing serious.

Yeah, they are both live. DS won't be getting either on Monday. We will wait on MMR, but probably won't do varicella(chicken pox) ever. I think well wait til closer to a year and a half, possibly two, to do MMR. 

It is interesting that giving MMR at 12 months is a more recent thing. You can go to the CDC's website and see previous vaccine schedules from the 80s to the early 90s 

• Options
    She's never had a reaction to any other vaccines, but she did run a low fever for about 12 hours and had diarrhea for about a week after these shots.  Of course, it's possible she also picked up a little bug at the dr's office too.
  • Options
    We've never had problems with vaccines, but the 12 month ones sure did make my babies fussy. They wanted momma all day long & fussed all afternoon.
  • Options

imagelovebugkim:
    We've never had problems with vaccines, but the 12 month ones sure did make my babies fussy. They wanted momma all day long & fussed all afternoon.
    This was my DS.  He also got a bruise on the back of his arm because they stick the MMR shot in the muscle.

He did not get the pox shot at this appt.  I think he will get that one at his 15 month.

image. Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    L received 4 two of which live (pp) no reaction yet but it can come as late as two weeks after appt.
  • Options
    Savannah got hers yesterday and has been super fussy!  She slept terrible last night and I couldn't get her to eat baby food this evening.  Just wanted milk.  We have been doing tylenol yesterday and today.  Good luck.  We haven't had any reaction so far other than the grouchies.
  • Options
    My pedi said LO most likely wouldn't get a fever from these vaccinations like she has for the others and that was true.  I was warned she might get a rash from the MMR one and about a week later she got a rash on her shoulder and cheek.  We chose to hold off on the chicken pox one.
  • Options

Liv don't really get fevers from the vaccines. Well the one time I can remember was low fever, up to 102 which resolved in a few hours.

She did fine with the 12 month vaccine though we were also forewarned about what could happen. Nothing did but now that I think about it, she was throwing up once a day for several days. No fevers. Not sure now if that was due to the vaccines.

Good luck!

• Options
    DD got MMR and chicken pox last tuesday (June 19). She's had diarrhea for about a week (but could be a bug), and then got a fever thursday and a rash yesterday. Small red bumps on her stomach and a few on her legs and arms. The rash is gone today.
  • Options

Yes, we had chicken pox and MMR at our 12 month visit and both were live vaccines.  DD was grumpy for a few days and got a large red lump where the chicken pox vaccine was.  But, no fever. 

This was different at 2 months she had no reaction besides sleeping a lot.  At 4 months she ran a fever and slept more.  At 6 months we had no reaction.

• Options
    cvl105cvl105 member
    My pedi actually said the 12 month shots are ones that don't give babies a fever, etc afterwards.
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    N got bad fever and rash from the mmr vaccine.  He took two weeks to be back to 100%. Because he also contracted a virus from daycare and then got pink eye.  Poor guy!  Not common though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"